OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BLACK (MELANISTIC) WILD TURKEY SHOT IN NEBRASKA

Started by Noble, April 21, 2011, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble

Well boys, I got him. I was out scouting Sunday and had this bird cross the road in front of me. I went up tonight and obtained permission from the landowner so the hunt was on. He told me where the birds roost every night, so I made my way down the tree row to set up. I found a flock of around 50-60 birds and half the flock were longbeards! I didnt know for sure if this bird was with them our not, but the chances were pretty high as this area is very remote so most of the birds are all in one place right now. I crawled into about 75 yards with the decoy and immideatly had two big toms run into about 2 yards and gobble in my face, unfortunatly they were not the bird I was looking for. They started to putt a little and worked away from me still spitting and drumming the whole time. I kept crawling closer and closer to the main flock to see if I can look over all the birds and find him. I finally seen the tom, but he was one of the farthest birds away from me, and with 30 toms between him and I , it didnt look promising for him to come to me, so I just kept moving closer and closer. The birds spooked a little from me and had worked over into another pasture about 100 yards away, but I just stayed the course crawling behind the flock as they feed away. The birds crested a small hill and stalled out allowing me to close the distance. I set up the decoy on the hill and started glassing through the tail fan. I looked and looked and the tom was just not with them. I couldnt figure out where he would have went? After about 30 times of glassing every bird in the flock and not finding him, I decieded to back out and would just have to come back another day. I was just about out of sight of the birds when I saw a group of three birds come out from the below the hill I had been set up on and wouldnt you know it, he was one of them! He had been in range the whole time I was sitting there, just out of sight from me. I crawled back in to range, and as soon as the trio of toms seen my decoy, they came running in. I let him get to about 20 yards then I let the meat stick bark. So I got my BLACK PHASED WILD TURKEY! I had heard of guys shooting Black birds in this area over the past few years, and I had always wanted one, so I couldnt be happier to now have one. It is obviously a traight in the flock as I saw a black hen tonight as well. What a beautiful bird! 18 pounds, 8 inch beard, classic two year old. Hello Taxidermist!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/206890_10150268104488976_814253975_9256978_5640331_n.jpg

bowhunter84

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Reloader

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

870supermagnum

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

njdevilsb

archery1

Take a kid hunting

turkey slayer

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

trkehunr93

Gobble!

spur collector