OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bama success story

Started by Tail Feathers, April 07, 2018, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Got back Thursday from Alabama.  It was a tough week of hunting but I managed to get one tom on the last day.  I owe a special thank you to a turkey killing machine who came in for a day and showed me a LOT about turkey hunting.  His tutelage and parting advice proved vital in my getting this early afternoon tom on the last day.  I won't name him but he'll recognize the pic below.
The scenery was beautiful in the Talledega NF.  I had my own private sunrise service here Easter morning.

And the turkey who FINALLY decided to come in... :funnyturkey:  Good beard, about 9.5" and 7/8" spurs.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zelmo1

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Caspar

great pics! beautiful scenery and a nice bird. cant ask for much more

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 07, 2018, 09:56:00 PM
Got back Thursday from Alabama.  It was a tough week of hunting but I managed to get one tom on the last day.  I owe a special thank you to a turkey killing machine who came in for a day and showed me a LOT about turkey hunting.  His tutelage and parting advice proved vital in my getting this early afternoon tom on the last day.  I won't name him but he'll recognize the pic below.
The scenery was beautiful in the Talledega NF.  I had my own private sunrise service here Easter morning.

And the turkey who FINALLY decided to come in... :funnyturkey:  Good beard, about 9.5" and 7/8" spurs.

I killed two up there last weekend and it is a very pretty place to hunt!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

roverboy

Really nice bird. Awesome pics too.
Listen for the gobble

RutnNStrutn

Congrats brother!!! Glad to see your season ramping up!!! :icon_thumright:

POk3s

Very cool! A southern NF bird deserves a sincere congratulations! I'd be interested in hearing how this played out....if you've got time  :turkey2:

Tail Feathers

I have enough time to type this story out!
I actually heard this bird gobble a couple of times on my first day there.  Three days in the area and never heard or saw him again tho.
On the next to last afternoon of the trip, my turkey killing friend came to camp.  He and I went out in the afternoon and found lots of good sign in the bottoms near this Forest Service road, and even a hen, but no toms.
The last morning of the hunt found us on this road walking in a daybreak.  No turkeys up close but way down the four wheeler trailer where I'd first heard this tom, we struck a gobble.  To be honest, my friend did, I couldn't hear it around the steep hill.  We set up and my friend did some calling and cutting and hushed.  The tom gobbled a couple of dozen times, closer each time.  He came in to about 80 yards before two hens showed up and one drug him off.
My friend had to leave on his spring travels that morning so at 10am we headed back to camp and he left me with the advice to get back out there and do what we'd done this morning and be patient.
I did exactly what he said and an hour after getting set back up, this tom showed up.  Now I was being real patient, I'd actually made a series of calling and some cutting and pulled my hat down to enjoy a quick nap while I waited.  ;D The tom didn't give me time to nap at all as about two minutes later I hear "CLUCK".  I eased my eyes open and he was standing about 25 yards out at my 10 o'clock.
I had a hen and jake deke out and he walked away from me about 10 yards, keeping a tree between us.  I think he was circling to go to the dekes head on as he turned right at 35 yards and I shot him as soon as he cleared that tree.  (Winchester SX3 20 gauge with Federal HW 7's and Carlson's choke).  He never gobbled for the afternoon hunt, and if he hadn't clucked I may have snoozed right thru his visit!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

POk3s

Awesome write up! Thanks for keeping me entertained while I wait until Friday to head out!

tomstopper

Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

eddie234

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro