only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: quackaddict on April 06, 2018, 01:08:19 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 07:23:20 PM

It's the same reason hunters don't shoot ducks on the water or doves on power lines, fawn deer,or penned animals. Some people do these things but it is not sporting. For the amount of meat you would get from a 14 pound Jake unless you killed him with a stick the price of a decent shotgun shell would buy that much meat at Krogers lol. What I find funny is the guys with the tactical stock shotguns with scopes, custom Cerkote finish 400$ worth of decoys etc. etc. that shoot hens and baby turkeys and say they do it for the meat apparently theses folks can't do simple math.

What's wrong with shooting a duck on the water?? You've done your job and convinced them to set down with your bunch of fakes...nothing wrong with Arkansawing one every now and then  ;D

I have killed a bunch of ducks and I mean a whole bunch.  Like 30 years of chasing them and being pretty successful.  To this day, if I have a recipe that calls for some pretty wood ducks, with no pellets in the breast and real pretty looking, it does not bother me in the least to water whack a few I need for my recipe.  Not my usual but I'll do what I need to.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tha bugman

pass most of the time, but have been known to kill a jake from time to time on an out of state trip for camp meat

crow

I was about to type in my opinion earlier and got the call supper was ready,
we had veal, baby snow peas, those tiny ears of corn and tater tots.

now I'm to full to type

SIUCpilot

Quote from: crow on April 06, 2018, 10:24:29 PM
we had veal, baby snow peas, those tiny ears of corn and tater tots.

I see what you did there!  :z-winnersmiley:

paintbrush

I've had tag soup more then once on out of state hunts by passing on jakes while waiting for a longbeard. Doesn't matter to me if it's the first day of the hunt or the last, I pass on jakes. Now years ago I would lay the smack down on a jake, but no longer. That's just my personal feelings now.

trkehunr93

If it's legal in your state what's the issue?  Lovett Williams had an article years ago that talked about its takes on average two jakes to make one mature gobbler, so for every two jakes statistically only one will survive to maturity.  This factored in predation, disease, abundance of food, harshness of winter and hunting.  If he plays the game with me he's probably not going to get a pass.  I can't eat the beard or the spurs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chatterbox

2 years ago, I was down to second to last weekend to hunt.
I was with Harrison and we decided if 2 birds came out, we would double, no matter what they were.
Had 3 jakes come in, and only one left.....
Next to my son and daughters first, that was one of my most enjoyable days in the turkey woods!
That's the last jake either of us will shoot, but on that day, the chance to double with my son trumped the age of the birds!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 06, 2018, 12:34:35 PM
And there goes your cycle again.  Make an asinine comment, get blown up, make a poor attempt to insult someone 's reading comprehension,  repeat...  Know what the definition of insanity is?
There you go again with your menstrual cycle hurt feelings lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

WNCTracker

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 07, 2018, 09:04:23 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 06, 2018, 12:34:35 PM
And there goes your cycle again.  Make an asinine comment, get blown up, make a poor attempt to insult someone 's reading comprehension,  repeat...  Know what the definition of insanity is?
There you go again with your menstrual cycle hurt feelings lol.
Wash..rinse..repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunRunner

My 2 cents:

Save the Jakes for youth and handicapped hunters.  Long beards only for us able bodied mature hunters.

eggshell

I think I will interject a bit of wisdom I heard from an old hillbilly many years ago. When He shot a jake his buddy asked him, "why did you shoot that" and his reply was "I'm turkey huntin, and that thar is a turkey unless you see sumthin else lying on the ground. It gobbled like a turkey, strutted like a turkey and made me happy, so I shooted it!"

fallhnt

Pulled in to our secret NE walk-in today. Buddy arrowed a jake. Saw about 15 jakes plus hens and 1 longbeard.  I'm up tomorrow. 1st legal bird in range gets the shaft,including bearded hens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

appalachianassassin

my 11 yr old nephew wont even shoot a jake. to me its no different than shooting a button buck. in my zip code it will get you a talking too.

eggshell

Ok I have watched this and decided I am just gonna say what I feel and suffer the wrath. I actually mean nothing personal to anyone, but I am growing tired of the "self-righteous I have a higher standard" crowd. After 31 years working for a state wildlife agency I have seen all the arguments and I have watched professionals build programs that are not only sustainable, but  actually increasing. There is no biological reason for passing Jakes, period.  Sure they make future gobblers, but many of them die naturally before they mature. Laws are designed to allow harvest of the surplus. DNR's work hard to provide the resource and the opportunity to hunt. They do not make laws that jeopardize a species and they only manage for trophy opportunities has a afterthought and enhancement. Opportunity comes in many forms and the fulfillment of a hunt and the satisfaction that comes from it is a matter of personal choice for all who participate legally. Why should any agency restrict the enjoyment of someone when it is not necessary to manage the resource. It all comes down to one thing, personal choice. I think in way to many cases we let ego get in our way. The "I won't shoot anything but a mature or trophy animal is driven mostly by "look at what I done sentiment". Now many pursue trophies as a quest of excellence. They set a standard that says I want to preform at a high level of excellence, and that is fine. What if we looked at all our recreational endeavors in the mind set that only the highest level of sport was acceptable. Would we outlaw all sports after we reached the age of development, say 18 or 22.  If you aren't gifted enough to play pro then you shouldn't play any sport. Of course not, most people would sat this is ludicrous. Why should anyone be ostracized because of a legal choice that fulfills their personal quest? I cal BS on the looking down on others becasue they choose to practice their sport different than you. The resource is doing fine, let people enjoy it as they wish. We don't restrict the shooting of juvenile pheasants, squirrels or rabbits. Why? because we have not imposed trophy standards on these species. They still do fine as a species. I also believe this trophy attitude has hurt hunting as a whole.....

Ok have at me 

mtns2hunt

Quote from: eggshell on April 08, 2018, 08:58:21 AM
Ok I have watched this and decided I am just gonna say what I feel and suffer the wrath. I actually mean nothing personal to anyone, but I am growing tired of the "self-righteous I have a higher standard" crowd. After 31 years working for a state wildlife agency I have seen all the arguments and I have watched professionals build programs that are not only sustainable, but  actually increasing. There is no biological reason for passing Jakes, period.  Sure they make future gobblers, but many of them die naturally before they mature. Laws are designed to allow harvest of the surplus. DNR's work hard to provide the resource and the opportunity to hunt. They do not make laws that jeopardize a species and they only manage for trophy opportunities has a afterthought and enhancement. Opportunity comes in many forms and the fulfillment of a hunt and the satisfaction that comes from it is a matter of personal choice for all who participate legally. Why should any agency restrict the enjoyment of someone when it is not necessary to manage the resource. It all comes down to one thing, personal choice. I think in way to many cases we let ego get in our way. The "I won't shoot anything but a mature or trophy animal is driven mostly by "look at what I done sentiment". Now many pursue trophies as a quest of excellence. They set a standard that says I want to preform at a high level of excellence, and that is fine. What if we looked at all our recreational endeavors in the mind set that only the highest level of sport was acceptable. Would we outlaw all sports after we reached the age of development, say 18 or 22.  If you aren't gifted enough to play pro then you shouldn't play any sport. Of course not, most people would sat this is ludicrous. Why should anyone be ostracized because of a legal choice that fulfills their personal quest? I cal BS on the looking down on others becasue they choose to practice their sport different than you. The resource is doing fine, let people enjoy it as they wish. We don't restrict the shooting of juvenile pheasants, squirrels or rabbits. Why? because we have not imposed trophy standards on these species. They still do fine as a species. I also believe this trophy attitude has hurt hunting as a whole.....

Ok have at me

I for one could not agree more!!!! :jackson:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.