OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

QuoteNot all jakes are the same just as not all toms are the same. I have seen 15lb toms and 19lb jakes.

This is true snapper......I wasn't advocating for passing jakes or anything I was simply making a facetious statement trying to lighten things up, sorry it came off wrong.

AC HAMMER

First bird of the season I would shoot the jake. Once I had one in the freezer then I would because more picky and wait for the longbeard (if allowed 2 birds in a season)

High plains drifter

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 07:23:20 PM
Quote from: SIUCpilot on April 04, 2018, 05:02:01 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 04:34:49 PM
There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

Because they eat just like jakes do and it is public land on a two day hunt?

Dave :turkey2:
It's the same reason hunters don't shoot ducks on the water or doves on power lines, fawn deer,or penned animals. Some people do these things but it is not sporting. For the amount of meat you would get from a 14 pound Jake unless you killed him with a stick the price of a decent shotgun shell would buy that much meat at Krogers lol. What I find funny is the guys with the tactical stock shotguns with scopes, custom Cerkote finish 400$ worth of decoys etc. etc. that shoot hens and baby turkeys and say they do it for the meat apparently theses folks can't do simple math.
The first turkey I ever got was a young bird, and I felt bad about it, and never did it again.I didn't know anything about it, and the guy who was with me was a real bonehead.I learned to go after adult gobblers, but I did take a few jakes a long time ago.

coonhunter

I would pass but if one came in when my 9 year old son is with me it will get hammered!
Joshua 24:15

LaLongbeard

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 05, 2018, 11:02:06 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 05, 2018, 08:17:20 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on April 04, 2018, 08:14:57 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 04:34:49 PM
No Jakes for me.
I have no problem if a young hunter or very first turkey but not 40 year olds that can't get it done. There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

I am 35 and gaurentee I can kill longbeards and dont have to shoot jakes but your completely off line saying people shoot jakes because they cant get it done on a longbeard. So by your thinking the only reason to kill turkeys is for a fan, beard and spurs. How about for the meat? Where does that fall in your mind?
I don't hunt Gobblers for the meat. There is a huge gap between the shoot anything at any cost to get a dead bird be it for a few turkey breasts or a picture for Facebook, and the reasons I hunt Spring Gobblers. There is no reason you can come up with to convince me it's ok for a grown man that considers himself to be a hunter to shoot hens or Jakes.

There is not reason you can come up with to convince me and a bunch of other ethical and moral hunters that it is ok for a grown man who considers himself to be a hunter to kill a tom turkey just for his fan, beard and spurs and not give a crap about the meat.
Never said I don't give a crap about the meat that's you getting all emotional about what I said or lack of reading compression. Every gobbler I've ever killed is eaten by me or given to someone that does.I just stated my opinion killing a juvenile turkey is not much of a challenge and most experienced hunters let them go. If your still at the stage as a hunter that you get excited by the mere sight of a bird or animal and are glad to be able to shoot anything then have at it.  Some of you (and you know who you are) are way over sensitive about every thing that doesn't agree with you. I could not care any less about what you say think or feel so why do you get so worked up about eveything I say? I'm thinking some of you "grown men" still have some growing to do lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eggshell

You have to be this tall to comment on the forum

:newmascot:
                   |
                   |
____________ |

mightyjoeyoung

And there goes your cycle again.  Make an asinine comment, get blown up, make a poor attempt to insult someone 's reading comprehension,  repeat...  Know what the definition of insanity is? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

potter

I am an adult hunter and the day I dont get excited about seeing and yes shooting a jake or hen turkey is the day I stop turkey hunting.

quackaddict

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 07:23:20 PM

It's the same reason hunters don't shoot ducks on the water or doves on power lines, fawn deer,or penned animals. Some people do these things but it is not sporting. For the amount of meat you would get from a 14 pound Jake unless you killed him with a stick the price of a decent shotgun shell would buy that much meat at Krogers lol. What I find funny is the guys with the tactical stock shotguns with scopes, custom Cerkote finish 400$ worth of decoys etc. etc. that shoot hens and baby turkeys and say they do it for the meat apparently theses folks can't do simple math.

What's wrong with shooting a duck on the water?? You've done your job and convinced them to set down with your bunch of fakes...nothing wrong with Arkansawing one every now and then  ;D
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Happy

Here's the thing. I hate and I mean hate trophy hunting. To value one animals life more than another of the same species just because of certain attributes is rediculous. Now I completely understand someone seeking out mature animals for the benefit of the population but many mature animals are not considered trophies. This is especially noticeable in deer hunting. It irritates me to the point that I enjoy shooting a hard hunted 6 point. When the "I only shoot trophy bucks fellows I know start to climb on their perch to preach I just point out the fact that my 6 point was killed through more effort and skill than they will ever attempt to achieve from their heated shooting houses sitting over a food plot with a trail camera telling them exactly what is showing up and when. And to be honest I don't care how others hunt within the limits of the law. If I don't like it I will voice my opinion(not judge) and not partake in it. Discussion is good and there are plenty of opinions out there. I am more than willing to share mine as are plenty of others. But to publicly single someone out and insult them because of a viewpoint is childish. As time goes by I realize that I am older in spirit than in actuall age. The underlying attitude with most hunters is of more concern to me than actual methods. As a matter of fact it seems to be the root of it all. A jake turkey that was honestly earned after two weeks of waking up at 3am and walking countless miles and varying weather conditions would mean more to me than a state record tom shot 15 minutes into opening day and 100 yards from the truck.
In my humble opinion we have shifted away from hunting as a means with connecting with where we came from and the satisfaction that comes from being confident in our self suffiency to an ego driven, look at me sideshow that quite frankly I am embarrassed to be associated with at times.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fullfan

No jakes for me in 28 years, I was young and did not know any better. My kids have never shot a jake either, Long beards are what we kill. Just like hunting and killing mature bucks, you  have to have the discipline and willpower not to kill smaller bucks.
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Fullfan on April 06, 2018, 01:17:32 PM
No jakes for me in 28 years, I was young and did not know any better. My kids have never shot a jake either, Long beards are what we kill. Just like hunting and killing mature bucks, you  have to have the discipline and willpower not to kill smaller bucks.
Sorry completely disagree, younger meat tastes better and you can't eat antlers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mtns2hunt

Hunting and ethics mean different things to different people as reflected in this post. We just need to keep it civel. Normally I don't shoot jakes because for me I would enjoy hunting him as a long beard. Unfortunatly Turkeys have so many enemies that the Jake I let go has little chance of survival. Still I like to give him a chance as just maybe he will make it. Bottom line is that Jakes are legal targets so I would not look down on anyone killing one. To me any bird harvested is a trophy so in a way I am a trophy hunter.

When deer hunting I don't eat much deer but donate it to hunters for the hungry. When I do shoot one for my consumption I shoot what we call a milk lips as they are the most tender and tastfull. No apologies offered - same if I decided to shoot a jake.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

potter

I have hunted jakes on public ground that are twice as smart as the longbeards  I have taken on private grounds. State gamelands in se pa. Are heavily hunted and any turkey taken there is more of a trophy than some longbeard from private land that isnt hunted hard.

bbcoach

You guys need to get a life.  The OP said shoot a jake or wait on a gobbler.  IT'S an OPINION.  If it's legal, then kill what you want.  Give your opinion and Move on.