OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunter777

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 05, 2018, 08:17:20 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on April 04, 2018, 08:14:57 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 04:34:49 PM
No Jakes for me.
I have no problem if a young hunter or very first turkey but not 40 year olds that can't get it done. There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

I am 35 and gaurentee I can kill longbeards and dont have to shoot jakes but your completely off line saying people shoot jakes because they cant get it done on a longbeard. So by your thinking the only reason to kill turkeys is for a fan, beard and spurs. How about for the meat? Where does that fall in your mind?
I don't hunt Gobblers for the meat. There is a huge gap between the shoot anything at any cost to get a dead bird be it for a few turkey breasts or a picture for Facebook, and the reasons I hunt Spring Gobblers. There is no reason you can come up with to convince me it's ok for a grown man that considers himself to be a hunter to shoot hens or Jakes.

Wow does this guy miss the boat on what Hunting is about.

stinkpickle

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 05, 2018, 12:54:26 PM
No Jakes for me.
I have no problem if a young hunter or very first turkey but not 40 year olds that can't get it done. There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

I am 35 and gaurentee I can kill longbeards and dont have to shoot jakes but your completely off line saying people shoot jakes because they cant get it done on a longbeard. So by your thinking the only reason to kill turkeys is for a fan, beard and spurs. How about for the meat? Where does that fall in your mind?
I don't hunt Gobblers for the meat. There is a huge gap between the shoot anything at any cost to get a dead bird be it for a few turkey breasts or a picture for Facebook, and the reasons I hunt Spring Gobblers. There is no reason you can come up with to convince me it's ok for a grown man that considers himself to be a hunter to shoot hens or Jakes.

Wow does this guy miss the boat on what Hunting is about.

Exactly.  Spurs, beards, and fans taste terrible!  I even tried brining them...   :(

g8rvet

I killed a couple early on and was pretty much done killing jakes.  I did take one one public land as my first bird with a 20 and the last day of the season.  No regrets.  Who cares if he was gonna be a gobbler next year. I am not a trophy hunter.  I like eating meat and fish I harvested legally and with the memory of the hunt (or catch).  I prefer keeping 26" redfish, but if the Lord provides me with a 18" one, he is going to the house.  I killed a jake a few year back that was kind of a super jake, came in full strut with his three buddies and gobbled 50 + times.  Had a 6" beard and bigger than jakes spurs and a bright head.  I saw that same gang the rest of the season, they even were strutting at 5 yards from me one morning and I was not even tempted.  I hunt for what brings me enjoyment and care not one whit what others think of how I hunt.  At all.  None.  When my freezer was empty and my kids were little, a legal deer was killed.  Then I got picky the rest of the season (like 3 months here counting muzzleloader).  I don't deer hunt anymore as the kids are moved out and the wife does not like venison.  I would not killed a 16 point if I was not going to eat it.  Worrying about the quality of the trophy is silly to me.  That is for those that like to brag about what big dogs they are. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

I always thought I would kill a bearded hen if one stepped in range, just once to say I had done it, but when the time came a few years back, I did not even raise my gun.  I have passed on a ton of jakes too.  Just last year I passed  three different times and only filled one tag.  No regrets either.  They were just wandering by, was not my thing.  You do you, I'll do me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

catdaddy

I don't shoot jakes. Same reason I don't shoot spike bucks.

mightyjoeyoung

To each his own, but the ellitism is getting to be a bit much.  Who are you to determine what a hunter makes?  I've killed upwards of 130 longbeards-I've been hunting them for 34 years and I know how to kill mature gobblers. What I won't do that CLEARLY some on here will readily do is desparage another hunter for his personal and mind you, LEGAL choichoices in the turkey woods.  Some of you (you KNOW who you are), clearly are incapable of learning from yourselves and worse when others call you on your bs.  Starting to put a bad taste in my mouth about this site and who's allowed to be a member of it.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

strum

This time of the season up here in north Ga I've usually killed a bird most years two by now.
This year Ive hunted all but 2 days of the season and have seen no birds. gobbling has been minimum and Ive endured rain,cold and loggers  (whom I think has caused the birds to move away from my favorite spot)
I know Ill get bashed but Im telling yall right now. if a jake walks within range tomorrow morning hes going for a ride in my chevrolet!!

g8rvet

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 05, 2018, 02:54:13 PM
To each his own, but the ellitism is getting to be a bit much.  Who are you to determine what a hunter makes?  I've killed upwards of 130 longbeards-I've been hunting them for 34 years and I know how to kill mature gobblers. What I won't do that CLEARLY some on here will readily do is desparage another hunter for his personal and mind you, LEGAL choichoices in the turkey woods.  Some of you (you KNOW who you are), clearly are incapable of learning from yourselves and worse when others call you on your bs.  Starting to put a bad taste in my mouth about this site and who's allowed to be a member of it.

Don't let it bother you brother.  I love reading your take on things.  You are one of the few that I always take a second to read their thoughts.  I started turkey hunting late in life and am only in the 30s on longbeards.  I'll never reach the numbers others have, but that's cool too.  It is about new challenges to me.  I enjoy Phillips knowledge as well and like hearing his thoughts about turkey hunting.  His opinions just slide off my back as he is blunt.  Post for the folks that enjoy and don't worry about the judges! 

eggshell

There is one big difference in jakes and longbeards though .........there is a lot less meat on a jake, but if you cook them in the same pot you can't tell them apart.  I hope you get to bust a beak in the morning strum, whatever age or size and  be proud to take him home.

ElkTurkMan

If I am on a trip, on the last day and I haven't bagged a bird I would take a Jake. At home here in GA if it gets to be late in the season and I don't have a bird I will take a Jake.

falltoms

I pass on jakes, I have shot a few in my early years. But I enjoy calling up and harvesting mature gobblers. I have no problem with anyone shooting jakes as long as its legal. That being said, IF I was to have an off year and down to my last day or two to hunt, I would probably shoot one if I was presented with a shot. Why. Because my family and I love the meat. We don't buy meat at a store. We live off all the game we harvest. I will NEVER. buy penned up domestic turkey in a store.

Caspar

hey whats up guys! new member here. im not as seasoned as a turkey hunter as most of you guys on here. ive only killed 8-10 turkeys so far but ive only been hunting for 15 years and only get one tag. i never had anyone to take me turkey hunting and ive learned everything on my own from watching videos, reading and trial and error. i think im doing pretty good considering the last few years were mostly spent taking friends,family and juniors out turkey hunting. ive actually called in more birds for others than i have for myself. with that said, my first 6-7 turkeys were jakes. my last two were nice longbeards and ive decided i would rather kill a longbeard and usually give the jakes a pass. i would rather see a new hunter or a young hunter shoot one. i dont and will never look down on anyone that wants to shoot a jake but i personally like the challenge of holding out for a longbeard. who knows, i may have a jake come in this year gobbling his head off and i may just decide to take him. it all depends on what im feeling in that moment

fallhnt

This...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

snapper1982

Quote from: eggshell on April 05, 2018, 05:24:48 PM
There is one big difference in jakes and longbeards though .........there is a lot less meat on a jake, but if you cook them in the same pot you can't tell them apart.  I hope you get to bust a beak in the morning strum, whatever age or size and  be proud to take him home.

Not all jakes are the same just as not all toms are the same. I have seen 15lb toms and 19lb jakes.

snapper1982

No Jakes for me.

There is not reason you can come up with to convince me and a bunch of other ethical and moral hunters that it is ok for a grown man who considers himself to be a hunter to kill a tom turkey just for his fan, beard and spurs and not give a crap about the meat.