OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 07:23:20 PM
Quote from: SIUCpilot on April 04, 2018, 05:02:01 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 04, 2018, 04:34:49 PM
There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

Because they eat just like jakes do and it is public land on a two day hunt?

Dave :turkey2:
It's the same reason hunters don't shoot ducks on the water or doves on power lines, fawn deer,or penned animals. Some people do these things but it is not sporting. For the amount of meat you would get from a 14 pound Jake unless you killed him with a stick the price of a decent shotgun shell would buy that much meat at Krogers lol. What I find funny is the guys with the tactical stock shotguns with scopes, custom Cerkote finish 400$ worth of decoys etc. etc. that shoot hens and baby turkeys and say they do it for the meat apparently theses folks can't do simple math.

For me It's not about economics. The act of hunting and taking your own food no matter its age brings a sense of accomplishment and sense of self reliance that is appealing that outweighs the monetary cost. It would be cheaper for me to buy produce at the store but I enjoy growing my own garden and sharing homegrown veggies with my neighbors. It would be cheaper for me to buy a 1/4 or 1/2 side of beef compared to the money I spend on deer hunting, but I enjoy the hunt and act of harvesting my own food. And I don't think you can equate legally shooting a Jake to shooting a dove off a power line or slapping ducks off the water. Jake's and even hens can be plenty challenging in their own right.

Cut N Run

My Granddad taught me that killing a jake was just stealing a longbeard from my future.  That stuck in my mind, so jakes will always get a free pass from me.  I had a pair of jakes walk within 8 yards and never considered taking the safety off even though it was the last day of the season and I had an unspent tag in my wallet.  I look forward to seeing them again when they're older and more challenging to hunt.

My Granddad also taught me that it was counter-productive to kill hens.  It's not legal to take hens in NC (unless they're bearded) and there aren't so many that I'd feel comfortable killing an egg layer anyway. Besides, I enjoy hunting Spring gobblers too much to spend a tag on a hen that weighs less than half of the gobbler I'm after.

If killing a jake puts joy in your heart and satisfaction in your hunt, go for it.  As long as that turkey is taken legally, have fun & good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

snapper1982

No Jakes for me.
I have no problem if a young hunter or very first turkey but not 40 year olds that can't get it done. There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

I am 35 and gaurentee I can kill longbeards and dont have to shoot jakes but your completely off line saying people shoot jakes because they cant get it done on a longbeard. So by your thinking the only reason to kill turkeys is for a fan, beard and spurs. How about for the meat? Where does that fall in your mind?

Sir-diealot

Just a quick question on this, when it comes to deer hunting I would rather take a younger deer because the meat tends to be more tender than an older deer, does the same hold for turkey? (I have yet to get one)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gobbler428

I will pass but have no problem with a person's first bird being a Jake.  If you want to have long beards you have to let the Jakes live.

kdsberman

Quote from: taylorjones20 on April 04, 2018, 11:57:46 AM
I pass jakes but I would not look down on someone who chose to get one if it made them happy...

Same here.  I'm for a tom but if it makes someone happy shooting a jake, have at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rio Fan

Pass. Hopefully they'll survive until the following spring and I can hunt them as 2 year olds.

idgobble

My hunting buddy shoots jake and a longbeard every spring.  He says the jakes are better eating. 

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 04, 2018, 08:16:58 PM
Just a quick question on this, when it comes to deer hunting I would rather take a younger deer because the meat tends to be more tender than an older deer, does the same hold for turkey? (I have yet to get one)

I think hen meat is more tinder. They are legal in the fall here. I honestly can't tell a difference in Jake vs gobbler but I don't have the most sophisticated pallet. With regard to deer give me a yearling doe anyday for the steaks loin and roast. I know a lot of folks won't do it but I have taken a few with spots still on in early bow season. Some of the best eating meat I've ever had.

eggshell

I thought this over many times in the last 45 years and it still just depends on the hunt. Early season with time to hunt I will pass jakes every time, just to insure the future. If it was a bad hatch year I would pass. However, if it was a good hatch and my last two days I would most like bust a jake if he gave me a a good hunt. I have killed small birds, Jakes and monster trophy birds and I have learned the measurements mean very little, it is the hunt that sits in your memory and provides years of fulfillment. So what I want is a bird that works to the call and offers a challenge, if that turns out to be a jake he is still a trophy. I don't need to kill anymore turkeys to prove anything to myself or run up the score card, I just want to have fun! I think this is the test, what fulfills your hunt?

LaLongbeard

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 04, 2018, 08:14:57 PM
No Jakes for me.
I have no problem if a young hunter or very first turkey but not 40 year olds that can't get it done. There's no spurs barley any beard and not even a decent fan I see no reason to kill them.

I am 35 and gaurentee I can kill longbeards and dont have to shoot jakes but your completely off line saying people shoot jakes because they cant get it done on a longbeard. So by your thinking the only reason to kill turkeys is for a fan, beard and spurs. How about for the meat? Where does that fall in your mind?
I don't hunt Gobblers for the meat. There is a huge gap between the shoot anything at any cost to get a dead bird be it for a few turkey breasts or a picture for Facebook, and the reasons I hunt Spring Gobblers. There is no reason you can come up with to convince me it's ok for a grown man that considers himself to be a hunter to shoot hens or Jakes.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 05, 2018, 08:17:20 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on April 04, 2018, 08:14:57 PM
No Jakes for me.

I don't hunt Gobblers for the meat. There is a huge gap between the shoot anything at any cost to get a dead bird be it for a few turkey breasts or a picture for Facebook, and the reasons I hunt Spring Gobblers. There is no reason you can come up with to convince me it's ok for a grown man that considers himself to be a hunter to shoot hens or Jakes.

I won't try, since you opinion really means no more or less than anyone else's. :funnyturkey:

Anyone who buys a license is allowed to hunt how they want, provided they follow the game laws. For some it's about ego, for some it's a chance to come home with something, for others it's a chance to get outdoors after a long winter. Personally, I'll shoot one if I'm in the mood, and I've killed lots of longbeards in between. Fall hunting is a whole other ball game, if I've put 25 miles on my dog that day, and we break a flock and a jake or hen comes in...BOOM!!!!

eggshell

I respect anyone's choice and hope they are able to fulfill their expectations, and i would not look down on anyone who does not do it like me.

Personally I do not keep any of the beards, spurs or fans. After I clean the meat out of the bird I toss the whole carcass in the back field for the coyotes. I used to keep them, but when I had no more space on the basement wall I just decided not to do it anymore. I take one picture for my scrapbook and write the bird's stats and where he came from on the back and that is it. I took all my old fans, spurs and beards and bagged them up and set them out for the garbage man. I like the meat and a good hunt and that is enough for me. I simply moved on, but there was a time all those things mattered a lot to me. So it is a matter of where each hunter is in their journey and that differs for all of us, so why demean anyone over their choices? One man's jake is another man's trophy.

stinkpickle

Remember folks, the best thing about turkey hunting is that it ain't deer hunting.  ;)

goblr77

I won't partake in a jake murdering but I don't have a problem with a kid doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro