only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

I typically give jakes a pass but my trigger finger has a vote  :toothy12:

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

My preference is to harvest them right as they crack the shell. very tender.    :deadhorse:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dejake

Cooking up mergers, or flipping burgers.  It's all the same to God as long as you glorify Him.
Maybe someday you'll need someone to change your bedpan.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on April 13, 2018, 01:32:05 PM
My preference is to harvest them right as they crack the shell. very tender.    :deadhorse:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I've shot a few jakes early in my career, but hold out for longbeards these days. I don't fault anyone for shooting jakes as long as it's legal where you hunt. Not everyone has the same opportunities.

G squared 23

I guess to clarify, my land has zero turkeys that live on or use it; I have zero roosting areas.  I have seen turkeys on my land a total of one time while deer hunting in 3 years. In 3 months of running trail cams from December to March, I had ZERO pictures of wild turkeys on my trail cameras. They just dont use my land often for some reason. There are turkeys around, and I get jazzed up hearing them gobble on the roost; there is nothing else like it.  I have gotten incredibly fortunate the last two years and a longbeard has been desperate enough to succumb to my terrible calling.  I saw a grand total of 3 turkeys in 2 sits and shot 2 of them (the above mentioned longbeards).

I realize that this is NOT a good turkey hunting property overall, but it's MY land and I love hunting and working to improve it (ok, mostly for deer).  I have 2 small children and limited vacation, so you bet your butthole that the first legal bird that walks by within range is going to get some lead in the face.

I USED to have access to some amazing turkey ground, but never considered myself a serious turkey hunter. I had time to go twice a year tops, and I'd try to take my elderly grandfather who had Parkinson's and couldn't last long out there. But he loooved for me to take him. So while if a group of birds worked in, I'd of course pick out the tom. But if jakes were all that showed, well buddy, me and grandpa would mess those things up too.

Lighten up boys and girls, this is supposed to be fun.