OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

fallhnt

I shoot 1st legal bird. Yes hens included.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

I pass, however I am fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in the turkey woods so if someone wants to kill one have at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.D. Shellnut

A couple of days meaning two and its on the last day. I'd be proud to shoot him.
60% of the time it works every time!

eddie234

Pass unless it's the last couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mightyjoeyoung

It's all personal.  Ive hunted turkeys for 34 years now.  I've taken upwards of 130 longbeards.  I consider myself blessed to be able to focus on older, mature gobblers, but would never desparage someone for shooting a jake.  I've shot my share and they eat just as good.  I won hesitate to shoot and hen in the fall either if the flock is healthy.  Again. It's personal and to me it's about the hunt.  Do what makes you happy. In some areas a nice jake would still be an accomplishment too.  If YOU are questioning shooting a jake, then only you can answer that question.  Like I said though. They all eat the same.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

zelmo1

No wrong answer here. I don't shoot jakes anymore, but all turkeys are trophies. My wife may have that dilemma this year, her first season. It's her choice. My first bird was a jake, I have no shame about it. Great day, I got infected with turkitis that day  :funnyturkey:

TauntoHawk

I dont really even consider them on the table for myself but I'll also pass some 2yr old Tom's if they come in without strutting or gobbling any especially if it's my last tag.

I have youth hunters, vets, and new hunters shoot Jakes with me most every year. The trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I won't shoot a bird that doesn't provide a level of excitement I'm looking for just as I won't hold anyone back from taking a legal bird that does give them that excitement.

Some of my favorite hunts were on jakes shot by other hunters and I was just as excited as if I hand pulled the trigger on  a 4yr old for them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

snapper1982

I was exactly like most here and used to say I only shoot longbeards. That is until 3 years ago when I went to Tennessee and hunted with a really good friend of mine. He has come up to hunt deer every year but I had never been there. The second morning I worked a loud full gobbling bird right off the limb. When he crested the ridge it turned out to be 6 jakes and the dominant bird did everything a longbeard would. He gobbled and strutted and spit-n-drummed. After a few minutes of a great show I wispered to my buddy I was going to take him and he should be ready for one of the others. He kills what ever is legal and had already said he would kill jakes. I killed that strutter at 15 yards and he killed one of the others. It will forever be one of my best and most memerable hunts. I would have did the exact same thing had I only had one tag with 45 days to hunt all day. So dependant on the factors of the hunt I am likely to kill a jake.

MK M GOBL

To each his own, for myself I'll pass on jakes.

MK M GOBL

GOOSESLAYER

always pass jakes doesn't matter if its the last day or not. id rather eat tag soup. Private ground obviously

renegade19

I've killed jakes and let them walk both.  Who knows about the next time, depends on the circumstances.  IF it's a legal bird, it's up to you.

land cruiser

Called in a jake for a friend's daughter last weekend. Gave her my gun and she dropped it. Her first turkey, made me happier than shooting the biggest trophy tom. She was really excited and so was her Dad. Best memories.

stinkpickle

It depends on what I feel like at that particular moment.

bbcoach

Here's my philosophy on Jakes.  When you start hunting, you can take a Jake until you kill your First Long beard, after you kill your First Long beard you can't go back.  This allows young hunters to enjoy the experience of turkey hunting.  By the way, my First bird was a Long beard, so all Jakes get a PASS from me!  Even though bearded hens are legal here, No bearded Hens allowed either.  I see 1-2 every year.