turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

QuoteThe jake was twice as smart as that longbeard and gave me a great battle.

My opinion - It's about the game, not what they look like.

I like that thought Gobspur. I think that sums up a lot of people's feelings. I think some of the discussion has lost sight of the fact there is no wrong answer here. I think the question was asked just to see how people approached their turkey hunting. If I am by myself I target longbeards, but if a jake gives me a good game I'll consider shooting him. Also, I hunt to my partners. If I am hunting with someone that does not shoot jakes I honor that and hold off, if I am with someone who wants to kill any birds that work in I will open up to shooting a jake if they want to double with me. In the end I too am after the game.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 11, 2018, 06:35:23 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 09, 2018, 12:29:30 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 08, 2018, 10:15:13 AM
Quote from: SIUCpilot on April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM
Howdy. Informal poll/discussion... Comments welcomed.

In a state that allows it, would you harvest a jake or pass and wait for a tom? Let's say it is public land and you only have a couple of days to hunt... One tag only.

Ready? Set? DISCUSS!

Dave

The OP asked a question and asked for comments. Several people stated they will or won't shoot a jake. No one singled anyone out about either answer. For some reason the ones that do shoot jakes are more easily offended than the ones that don't. I do not wait all year drive countless miles lose sleep not to mention the money involved to shoot a 9 month old turkey it's not about the meat the beard spurs or fan it is calling a mature gobbler to the gun. I don't sit on field edges in a pop up blind and wait for the noon arrivals either for the same reason. Everyone hunts for a different reason and some seek a higher challenge and will not except anything less.

Nor do the vast majority of experienced hunters.  The thing is, YOU choose to voice your opinion in such a way as to desprage anyone that doesn't see it your way, do it your way, or god forbid disagree with you.  And you do it in a way that literally,  every single time, makes you look like a freaking jackass.  Idk if it was the way you were raised or what.  I don't care.  As I've said, I consider myself an experienced turkey hunter and a damn good one in a state that has all manner of hunter competition,  a large predator problem and a state legislature that seems bent on destroying our hunting rights.   What you do is try to belittle people every chance you get.  There is a way to interact with folks.  You don't seem to understand that.
If your so good at killing long beards  why you shoot jakes ? If you don't care what I think why do you cry at everything I post?
Isn't there a bedpan you should be cleaning instead of worrying about me?

Now who's reading comprehension needs work?  Where did I say I shoot jakes?  I said I would never bash someone that did.  And if you think TRYING to insult my being a nurse is going to hurt my feelings, you're gonna be up way past your bedtime.  You know,  for a smart a$$, you're not too bright.   When are you going to see that you just aren't too well liked around here? 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

LaLongbeard

Around here lol .....it's an Internet forum only a complete loser would care what total complete strangers in another state maybe even across the whole country thinks. There still waiting on the bed pan  lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

dutch@fx4

Boy you seem in a hurry to get that bed pan .You afraid of peeing on your shoe.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 11, 2018, 12:58:03 PM
Around here lol .....it's an Internet forum only a complete loser would care what total complete strangers in another state maybe even across the whole country thinks. There still waiting on the bed pan  lol

Again, says the guy that bashes and insults folks on here on a nauseatingly regular basis about what they think and how they hunt.  You're a joke dude.  An angry, little, self-absorbed joke.  Keep trying that nurse rip too.  I wasn't born a nurse.  I've worked with my hands, served my country and done things that'd likely give you nightmares little girl. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

LaLongbeard

I would definitely have nightmares if I had to clean a bed pan lol
Somebody has to do it

Happy

I am just gonna say this. It's easy to pick on the nurse that cleans bedpans untill your the fellow strapped in a bed and immobile. I've been there and I am grateful there are people willing to help others out.
None of us are invincible and it may bode us well to remember that the person we treat like crap may very well be the person we will be depending on further down the line.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

To any Nurses and veterans who are on this forum or anywhere .......I applaud you and say thank for your service.  I too have been in the situation where my life and well being, not to mention comfort was in the hands of nurses.  :happy0064:

If if that nurse/vet wanted to shoot a Gobbler, jake or longbeard  I'd help them accomplish that and be honored to do it. Making fun of people who give their lives to serve others is a low blow and much lower than shooting jakes.

dutch@fx4

My mother wife and both my girls work in nursing.i have nothiƱg but  respect for the profession. it takes very very special people to work in this profession..thank you to all who work in this field.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 11, 2018, 12:58:03 PM

Interesting statement - I hunt turkeys in other states and even across the whole country. I care a great deal about what others say and think. Guess I'm a loser too. Not sure where the bedpan cracks come from as I find them kind of bizarre. I know emotions get rather intense at times but insults really are counter productive. Can we not just have a decent conversation on this forum and cool it down some. Thanks.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

LaLongbeard

I have nothing against the nursing profession the quick response of an Army nurse proabably saved my life when I was medivacted in Afghanistan.
The dig was at the male nurse that keeps crying about my posts. Not everything you read or hear pertains to you no matter how self important you feel not everything is about you. It was really just poking fun at the guy for things he posted. No need to get personally offended at every single little thing I wonder how some of you manage to keep it together on a normal day. What happens when something doesn't go your way in real life?
I'm done with this particular subject I've got a long beard roosted  and I'm headed in the woods right now. Shoot jakes don't shoot jakes but whatever you do don't be so thinned skinned lol. There only feelings lol

dejake

As my dad used to say: "all he does is take up oxygen"

eggshell

Proverbs 12:15-16 New International Version (NIV)

The way of fools seems right to them,
    but the wise listen to advice.

Fools show their annoyance at once,
    but the prudent overlook an insult.

Old Gobbler - time to lock this thread

G squared 23

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 08, 2018, 07:42:16 AM
my 11 yr old nephew wont even shoot a jake. to me its no different than shooting a button buck. in my zip code it will get you a talking too.

I shoot jakes and LOVE to shoot button bucks with my bow, especially if the population isn't great.  We were hit pretty hard by EHD, so shooting a big doe seemed pretty counter productive to me. Buttons are absolutely delicious, and while I like a good set of antlers, I LOVE a tender backstrap on the grill.