turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot a Jake or wait for a Longbeard?

Started by SIUCpilot, April 04, 2018, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIUCpilot

Howdy. Informal poll/discussion... Comments welcomed.

In a state that allows it, would you harvest a jake or pass and wait for a tom? Let's say it is public land and you only have a couple of days to hunt... One tag only.

Ready? Set? DISCUSS!

Dave

:turkey2:

JMalin

Pass.  I'm not that hard up for turkey breast.

taylorjones20

I pass jakes but I would not look down on someone who chose to get one if it made them happy...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Sir-diealot

I would like to think I would pass but I have never gotten one and the temptation might be to much. If only they made jakes of peanut butter, then they would be easy to pass on.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dublelung

Happy

I personally would not. If someone else wants to then that's their call

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

briton

Definitely wait on a longbeard for me, and next yr. the jake will be a long beard.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bghunter777

I found myself passing more often than not but in my earlier years as a turkey hunter I would shoot jakes and loved every minute of it. That being said Shooting the occasional jake is not beneath me if they do everything right gobble strut etc Iv been known to still shoot one if the urge strikes me.

Kylongspur88

I'm a weekend warrior with limited time to hunt so I'm not going to let an opportunity pass by.

richard black

Have no problem if someone wants to take a jake at anytime, public or private. If it is your first turkey ever, it is a thrill to get one. After that I prefer to wait for a mature gobbler. The fun for me is outsmarting them.

Rzrbac

I  give jakes a pass, just my own personal standard.

daddyduke

Will only shoot a Tom until last weekend of season.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

vt35mag

I don't intentionally shoot Jakes anymore.  It is just one less tom for me to hunt next year. 

hobbes

I'll pass, but have no problem with someone else killing a jake.