OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Big gobbler in wet swamp-help needed

Started by Bucktale, April 04, 2018, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktale

I'd like to see if you guys can give me some advice on how to hunt this bird. I'm in NE Florida on private land. Am pretty experienced turkey hunted, but not like some of you guys. I have a big mature gobbler living in a swamp which is currently wet. Unusual for this time of year but about ankle deep water most everywhere in this 200 acre swamp. I know he lives in there because I have a feeder on adjacent road where he shows up occasionally. Obviously I need to avoid the feeder area. We've killed 2 younger gobblers in this swamp this season and lots in there in past. It's usually dry in the spring. The birds we've killed were gobbling, but I'm not convinced I've ever heard him gobble. I've got pics of him strutting on camera about 3 weeks ago. Had him at 50 yds opening day, but spooked him. No personal sightings since.
Any suggestions about hunting a mature bird in a wet swamp who won't gobble? I've got other birds I can hunt, but this guy is who I want. 2 weeks to go in the seaso here.

zelmo1

Are you sure he is still taking air? If he is and he is your only goal, use tactics that have worked in that area before. I wouldn't panic yet. Try to roost him and get where he wants to be at fly down. Get more aggressive if you locate him and he doesn't work for you. Changing your routine could work if you haven't been successful on this bird. Don't give up bro, go after him. It will be sweet when you get him  :funnyturkey:

dublelung

I don't have any experience in Florida swamps but I do Mississippi swamps. I've always had better luck mid day or in the afternoon when dealing with non gobbling turkeys. Ease into areas you know the turkeys frequent and call sparingly and not too loud. I've started clucking and purring on my way in then making a few more calls after I get set up. I'll go silent for the next hour then make a few more calls. Several times I've had turkeys come in silent during that first hour. Hunting swamps is a bigger challenge than other places due to the amount of water. Turkeys will no doubt walk through shallow water but if you can find any amount slightly higher/dryer ground that's where I'd set up. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks can help you out more but that's all I've got. Good luck!

gtrjames

I hunted a bird like that for three years...it was worth it when I got him but I probably could've killed a half dozen 2 year olds in the time it took.

gtrjames

Bucktale

James. Nice bird. Pretty sure thi boy's spurs are even bigger. I've got lots of pictures. If I could figure out how, I'd post some. Says files are too large. Definitely worth devoting my time to. I've got plenty of time left.

hobbes

Keep after him and good luck killing him.  There's no way we, at least I, can give any more help than that without being more familiar with where you are hunting and the birds' habits. 

I can offer my own experiences with lowland birds.  I've hunted lowland "swamp" birds before in the bottoms along the Ohio River in Southern IL in the cypress and tupelo.  The birds had mud covered feet and often muddy fan tips.  Some years had more standing water than others, but the center always had standing water.

They typically roosted in consistent locations in the cypress trees over water.   On most occasions I could sit and listen to them fly up and adjust in the trees even if there was no gobbling.  Because it was wet, they'd often fly down at roughly 90 degrees to waters edge from their roosting spot.  The toughest part was being on the right side of the water.  If they had been strutting in the fields or feeding on the slightly higher dry ground, I'd set up on that side.  If they'd been wading the shallow water and mud, Id set up on that side.  They'd change sides to fly down on without warning.  Yelping to them on the roost was typically a bad idea.  I was better off to pray they landed on my chosen side and work them afterwards.  If they didnt, Id cross near some beaver dams.  I often ended up with boots full of water but I couldn't help myself.
(Ive considered swimming before but chickened out)

The shallow water and mud never phased them unless they felt like hanging up on it.  I killed at least one that walked through and was standing in 3" of water when I shot him.  I killed a couple that I never called to but shot them a few seconds after they flew down, one just after he folded his wings, because I understood how they often flew down (more of an ambush). I also killed several in the neigboring crop fields and bottoms type hardwoods.

I was never picky though.  Id kill any full fanned adult bird that came in.  Only twice did I recognize a bird that I killed.....one missing about half his tail feathers so his fan was a random arrangement of feathers and one with a really thick heavy beard.  I had seen Ugly in the field strutting earlier in the year and killed him seconds after flydown late season without knowing which tom he was.  We had called the heavy bearded bird into about 15 yards along water's edge earlier in the season for a newbie that choked and never got a shot off.  I killed him late season after watching him strut all morning with a lone hen and he followed her into range.

Bucktale

Thanks for the input. Nothing there I haven't tried yet, but I'll keep after him.

BTH

I would try hunting him in the afternoon instead of the morning in areas you have seen hm in or know he has frequented in the past several weeks. Soft clucks, short yelps and purrs IE subtle calling. If he ever answers you I would go quiet on this bird and make him hunt you.
Phil 4:13

Dtrkyman

Only times I hunted bottom land I had luck on little ridges, when I say little I mean a foot higher than most of the bottom, have you walked the whole thing, I would look for the highest spot in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucktale

There are a few higher spots, but they're very thick with palmettos. Got a place I'll sit next afternoon/ evening I can and can occasionally. See what happens.

2eagles

When my birds are stubborn, I'm in my blind one hour before the sun and I sit until end of legal shooting time. A little calling every 30 minutes or so. Not everyone's favorite way to hunt, but I hunt relatively small pieces of public ground near private and the run and gun thing isn't practical.

saverx

I agree with above. If he's the one you want, stay on him and keep the pressure on him waiting for him to make a mistake. Also be willing to accept that you may not get him.

Bucktale

Thanks for the advice. I'll camp out on him.

hobbes

Ive lost sleep and days I could have killed other birds just to try and kill a tom that kept giving me the slip back when I hunted Easterns.  Killing them after multiple days was quite gratifying, so I get the draw to a single bird.  However, there were multiple times that it didn't work out that hindsight showed me that Id have had more fun chasing unknown birds and having one of them strut and gobble in front of the gun.

Its rare that afterwards I look back at a big set of spurs or a thick beard as the memorable accomplishment, but instead its the hunt itself.  Although, long spurs and thick beards are a rare treat hunting Merriam's, so I would say that.