turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#2 down in VA

Started by trkehunr93, April 20, 2011, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

I slipped out for a quick hunt before work yesterday AM and was fortunate to be able to call in a pig!  This bird was roosted about a 100 yrds. from me and w/ the short amount of time I had to hunt I opted not to circle around and get on his level but to stay put as I was only a little lower than him.  I found a good pine to back against that had some good shooting lanes and started doing some light tree yelps and really, really soft clucks.  He answered so i thought good I got your attention, another tree yelp and I put the call down to see what he was going to do.  Heard him hit the ground at 6:15A, so I took off my hat, did a flydown with it and rustled leaves with a stick and started clucking and yelping to him, he keeps answering me but holds his ground about 90-100 yrds out of sight.  I take off my hat again and give him another flydown, figured he might be into the group thing! get another stick and start scratching on both sides of the tree and he keeps gobbling but I can tell he's moved my way.  Started working a mouth call, slate and a box to sound like multiple hens and finally he gobbled and I could tell he was on the other side of small stand of 4-5 ft. tall white pines which would have put him at 60-70 yrds. so gun up, safety off.  I keep looking straight ahead and I see him coming, he closes it to 35-40 and I can't take it anymore and I let him have it.  Biggest VA bird to date 23lbs., 1.5" spurs and 10.5" beard!  Had to chase him down a steep ridge and he ended up losing feathers at the base of his fan, I figue a taxidermist can fix that cause he is getting mounted!

Basser69

Nice bird and great story! Thanks for sharing  :z-guntootsmiley:

Roostem33

Great job on the nice bird!!!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

bowhunter84

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice gobbler..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

barry

That's a brute!
Way to work him.

cannonball

turkey slayer

JVA54

harvester

That bird has some hooks, congrats.

Gobble!