turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The case of the vanishing turkeys

Started by WNCTracker, April 01, 2018, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

My father in law has been seeing tons of hens and gobblers for the last 3 weeks strutting in fields. Groups of jakes, old Toms etc. same weather, same season patterns in all the familiar fields (800 acre) and no hunting pressure. He said he hasn't seen a bird in 7 days now. I've hunted 16 hours since Friday and have yet to heaR a gobble even at dawn. Have not seen one gobbler strutting in any fields either. I saw two different small flocks of hens multiple times and some lone hens but not with gobblers. I'm sort of at a loss for what could be causing the change.  What could I be missing?  Anybody have any advice for how to tackle these birds?  I've got 3 more days to hunt so I've got some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatseeker

Not sure where you are at.  But its early where I am.  Turkeys are at places right now where they won't be when our season opens.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Meatseeker on April 01, 2018, 04:45:25 PM
Not sure where you are at.  But its early where I am.  Turkeys are at places right now where they won't be when our season opens.
Right, should've mention. Coastal SC. Well into spring patterns

guesswho

Suitable nesting habitat?  If not, that may be an issue.  Neighbors pouring the feed to them?  Or turkeys being turkeys.  Just a couple ideas.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WNCTracker

I just got off the phone with my buddy who told me next door neighbor was arrested last night for shooting turkeys over bait.

Spitten and drummen

Gonna say your neighbors are likely baiting . Happens to me every year. Now I plant chufa and keep my birds
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Turkeys are sooo susceptible to bait

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WNCTracker

Haha never mind :-)

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 01, 2018, 09:13:34 PM

They hung themselves? Bad way to go

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

owlhoot

Ain't as sneaky as the turkey thought.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 01, 2018, 05:23:03 PM
I just got off the phone with my buddy who told me next door neighbor was arrested last night for shooting turkeys over bait.

Glad to hear they busted the piece of trash.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

Neighbor was in jail,depleted the bait pile,now back to traveling the circuit. Lucky for you he got caught just in enough time for you to be able to punch your tags... :jackson:

WNCTracker

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 01, 2018, 09:30:23 PM

Neighbor was in jail,depleted the bait pile,now back to traveling the circuit. Lucky for you he got caught just in enough time for you to be able to punch your tags... :jackson:
That sounds like a story I'll tell my grandchildren in 30 years :-)

Sir-diealot

Glad to hear you got yours by the way.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

2eagles

I'm smelling an April Fools joke here!