turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Still deep snow in NY

Started by turkaholic, April 01, 2018, 06:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

Got off the phone with a friend who lives near my turkey camp in Cobelskill NY. He claims he still has 18 inches or so of snow on his south facing deck. He says not to expect much in NY this year. A month ago they got 39", and two or 3 other storms dumping18 to 20 inches each. How can they survive not coming down out of the trees for a month. Maybe I'm wrong but birds live in worst wintering areas than NY. My brother lives in Rangley Maine and it is filthy with birds up there. Only a short hop to Canada. Just wondering what other Newyorkers are seeing and thinking.
live to hunt hunt to live

LI Outdoorsman

It's region dependent.... I'm in Tioga county and there's hardly any snow cover at my camp.. The birds are pretty Hardy... they're thriving up in Maine where they get lots more snow...they find a way

callmakerman

My job puts me in Cooperstown 4 days a week and I wander as far as Sharon Springs . I've seen a ton of turkey's this spring in those areas so I wouldn't worry. Yes there's snow in the woods but thankfully the hills are opening up and the birds are there.

jordanz7935

Little bit of snow still here in West Winfield, birds are strutting some, not gobbling much yet. Still flocked up for the most part, but im starting to see some smaller groups of birds. One things for sure, no early spring this year. Numbers look decent in my area for this year, id say about the same as last year IMO. There were a lot of jakes last year so hopefully there should be some love sick 2yr olds running around this spring.

mightyjoeyoung

Low 50s here in NW, PA...Finally!!  Still small patches of snow in the shaded spots, but I saw turkey vultures for the first time this year, saw spring is apparently in the air!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mspaci

I heard reports that there are birds all over strutting & gobbling up that way.  Mike

ddturkeyhunter

They will find something on the south facing hills, thats the first place to melt off. Where deer or live stock have moved some of the snow around. Other wise they may move into town under people bird feeders. Turkey are big birds but resourceful.

Sir-diealot

No snow really left on the ground here in my area of the Finger Lakes, though it is spitting a bit this morning but I don't believe for a second it will accumulate. It is supposed to get to 59 here on Wednesday then cool down a bit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkaholic

This is encouraging, thanks for the info. Now I'll be able to sleep better.
live to hunt hunt to live

owlhoot

Spitting snow in Missouri right now,crazy .

TauntoHawk

I don't know how they do it but they always seem to pull through the tough winter's. Sometimes a bit lighter

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sir-diealot

I am kinda glad it is colder this year, they normally seem to breed more in late April around here than in May, or at least I have seen them strut more in April than in May. (For those that may not know May 1-31 is the season here) When I hunted 2 years ago there is no doubt in my mind they bred more in Late April than May, it was a pretty dead season that year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Phire Phite

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on April 01, 2018, 08:30:41 AM
It's region dependent.... I'm in Tioga county and there's hardly any snow cover at my camp.. The birds are pretty Hardy... they're thriving up in Maine where they get lots more snow...they find a way

True.  I'm in north eastern VT, and there are def some areas that lots of snow.  They do what they need to do to survive.  What gets me a more are those days, sometimes a week or more of stupid cold.  Highs of -2.  Not sure how any animal, let alone a turkey handles that.

A co-worker was driving in South Canada known as the town of Richford.  Showed me a pic of a hen being bred that was in his way, and this was the week before last. >:(. Our season is also May 1-31.

Bowguy

I'm maybe a minute from Orange Co NY. There is still snow on the mountains and the birds seem scarce still. As I type this they're forecasting another storm and I t's snowing again. They're saying 6-8". 

quavers59

Bowguy is right! I live in Monroe- Orange County NY and right now as I type, there is a good 3 inches of snow down. Maybe 3 more inches to go before it stops around 2pm or so.    I was out yesterday for my 1st pre-Dawn Scouting trip in Orange County. Plenty of Gobbling on the State Land where I was!!! Heard so many hens as well. Huge flock when they were down and the Jake's were vocal as well with kee-kee-runs. Looks like the Turkeys faired well after these 4 Nor-Easters in March.     Scouted Waywayanda State Park in New Jersey last week. Just over the Orange County line. Still deep snow there.      One writer here said Maine turkeys are doing well.  Google -- NEW BRUNSWICK-- CANADA. Wild Turkeys have crossed over from Maine and are thriving. I think NWTF there is trying to get a Spring season up as there are plenty of wild turkeys in New Brunswick.