OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long after a miss? ???? UPDATED

Started by RiverRoost, March 31, 2018, 05:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Pulled the dreaded miss yeaterday on a bird that came in from behind me and off my right shoulder and as a right handed shooter had me in a bind. Hindsight is 20/20 and probably shouldn't have gotten greedy and let him walk on off but how long do y'all think the area or bird will be boogered up? After the shot he flew off back toward the interior of my property instead of flying to the neighbors direction which is about the only positive I can think of.

bbcoach

Don't sweat it.  We've all been there.  He's GOBBLING right now.  Switch up your calls and get back after him.  He may have been Boogered yesterday but he's looking for Love today!  Good Luck!

Fullfan

Hunt long enough and that happens, no worries. Years ago I shot and missed a nice gobbler, saw him fly across a valley. Walked over to where I thought he landed set up and he started gobbling. Did not miss him that time.
Don't gobble at me...

daddyduke

Shot at a bird at 7:30 that came in behind me uphill and missed. He stuck his head out from behind a thick brush pile. Profile shot. I actually shot some of his breast feathers off. At 1:00 same day killed him. So go get him!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

wade

My avatar is what the "trophy" looks like when you try to turn and shoot at a bird behind you. As has been said he's looking for love again already.
Do it outdoors

mspaci

Tomcat655

I missed one last staurday hit the dang tree in front me haha not paying attention and he flew up to a tree not far away and I back out...went to a different area the next morning but within relative hearing distance of over there where the miss took place and was hearing a gobbler.

zelmo1

They forget and settle down, each one is different. He will be looking for love again soon bro

Dtrkyman

I am quite sure after calling in two hot toms and killing one of them that a few hours later I called the survivor in for a friend...he missed...lucky bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treerooster

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 31, 2018, 05:48:10 AM
how long do y'all think the area or bird will be boogered up?

About an hour.

Rzrbac

No worries there, I've killed a few the same day I missed them. Some within an hour. A buddy and I doubled several years ago. I called in a pair and shot one, my buddy couldn't get a shot as they came in to my right and my buddy was sitting to my left. The other bird ran off after I shot. It only took about 30 minutes to crank that second bird up and bring him back in for my buddy. We were less than 100 yards from where I shot the first one.

JK Spurs

Couple years ago I missed one on opening day, which was a Saturday, no hunting on Sunday in PA, then killed him at 6:05 that Monday.
I like my turkey well peppered

ol bob

I've called them back in less than an hour several times.

gtrjames

It's doubtful that a turkey makes it thru very many days that something doesn't try to kill him...it's part of their everyday thing. I think they just chalk a miss up to another predator and go on about their business.

Yoder409

Quote from: gtrjames on March 31, 2018, 11:06:41 AM
It's doubtful that a turkey makes it thru very many days that something doesn't try to kill him...it's part of their everyday thing. I think they just chalk a miss up to another predator and go on about their business.

Pretty much.   Yep.

Missed a big Rio in Texas and he was spooked (he made me) when I took the shot.  Killed him later that day.

Called in 2 nice Easterns one morning.  Downed one so close to his buddy he probably had to spit out feathers and goo.  Called the other one up the next day for my dad.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.