turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What exactly is "flocking" a decoy

Started by WNCTracker, March 29, 2018, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I've read several times but I'm not exactly sure what it means?  Is it a way of accenting ?

briton

MickT

Flocking is gluing fibers to a decoy to give it a soft natural sheen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Ask gobblenut.... Wait did you say flocking?
Nevermind.....

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

Best way I can describe is its tiny pieces of black felt that are glued on a decoys back. Someone will step in with actual information.

I used this kit. Very easy to do. Flocked a DSD jake and strutter and have more than 3/4 left.
https://www.mackspw.com/GHG-FFD-Elite-Flocking-Kits

Before and after pic. You can see the darker flocked area on its back.

guesswho

Never knew what it meant either.   I just referred to all of them as flocking decoys. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

SteelerFan

Quote from: guesswho on March 29, 2018, 05:17:08 PM
Never new what it meant either.   I just referred to all of them as flocking decoys.

:TooFunny:

Gobble! gave a great example. I believe flocking first became popular on the goose decoy market. A flocked goose looks extremely realistic since it removes any plastic shine and adds color depth. After a decoy is flocked, like Gobble! said, it has a felt look and feel.

Now you can buy all kinds of flocking decoys... crow, duck, turkey, deer, etc.

stinkpickle

Some are sold that way.  It's a good way to tack a few extra bucks onto the price.

GobbleNut

Flocking is the term used to describe when a bunch of turkeys is skeered and they fly away in different directions and then the mother hen calls them all back together.  The hen that calls them back is known as the mother flocker.   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:

...And by the way, happy,...don't think I didn't see your post.  I'm watchin' you, buddy :toothy9:....

Happy

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 29, 2018, 05:41:31 PM
Flocking is the term used to describe when a bunch of turkeys is skeered and they fly away in different directions and then the mother hen calls them all back together.  The hen that calls them back is known as the mother flocker.   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:

...And by the way, happy,...don't think I didn't see your post.  I'm watchin' you, buddy :toothy9:....
I just pick because I know you won't get your snood in a knot. It's all in good fun and I am sure my time will come.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on March 29, 2018, 05:45:15 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 29, 2018, 05:41:31 PM

I just pick because I know you won't get your snood in a knot. It's all in good fun and I am sure my time will come.

You been hangin' around Ronnie too much.  He acts like he knows somethin' about turkey huntin', but he's a Goob, you know.... :angel9:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 29, 2018, 05:52:17 PMYou been hangin' around Ronnie too much.  He acts like he knows somethin' about turkey huntin', but he's a Goob, you know.... :angel9:
I just look this way.  I'm actually pretty flocking smart.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Old Gobbler

Flocking is effective on decoy shy waterfowl,  the flocking fibers look extra extra dark , very realistic on the black or other dark parts on a duck or goose decoys

I've used flocking for duck hunting and flocking does make a difference,  some guys flock the whole duck , but I think in my opinion just flock the dark parts and touch up the white parts with good paint on pintails ...widgeon etc...let me tell you how hard it is to pull down some pintails into shotgun range , I re-flocked 6 dozen pintails and that became my base primary setup for puddle ducks and let me tell you I was pulling down whole flocks of pintails .....for ducks ...flocking works , but you got baby the decoys the flocking won't hold up to rough handling
-----------

I have a few dsd jake and gobbler decoys , and I got to say....the dark back feathers they flock on the gobblers looks real good

Dsd also sells a flocking kit , I've used it ....it's the best one on the market --they have a tinted , 2 part epoxy that is extra durable , for uou goose hunters ...the dsd decoys are in a class of themselves

If you want to flock some decoys on your own , here's how you do it for super cheap , but the NYLON black flocking on ebay , you won't need much , then get a pint ot quart of rustoleum flat black enamel paint at HD, paint the decoy powder on the flocking ......done
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GobbleNut

Yeah,...seriously,...all flocking around aside,...what Shannon said ^^^     ;D :angel9:

WNCTracker

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 29, 2018, 09:54:25 PM
Yeah,...seriously,...all flocking around aside,...what Shannon said ^^^     ;D :angel9:
Gotta be flocking kidding me. I had no ideas that it's was a texture thing. Now I know. THanks for the schooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk