OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Killed my 1st ever turkey yesterday!

Started by jbob870, April 20, 2011, 10:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbob870

So after about a 10 min complete down pour thunder storm yesterday morning by buddy and I take off after them. We get to the top of the ridge and tried the Owl hoot nothing sounded. So we tried walking a little bit and call, nothing gobbled. So we walked a little more set up in a good looking location did some calling and nothing. Finally when be both thought we couldn't walk any more we were on top on the ridge and decide to take a break. My buddy was sitting on a tree stump on the side of the and i was sitting right in the middle of the road on the ridge. We were just talking about our bad luck and why nothing was gobbling, when i decide to pull out my Cody glass slate call and play around a little. My buddy said "that sounds pretty good "(because I'm new to turkey hunting and calling) and he start in with his slate call too when he gobbled. We both just looked at each other in shock because we hadn't heard anything all day. I hit the cody one more time and he gobbled. My buddy said "get up here quick he's closer and he's coming in." He hit the slate one more and that's all it took. The Ol tom came down the road and busted out in full strut. This being the first time I ever seen a long beard, my heart was beating out of my chest and I was breathing super hard. He came into 23 yards and I let loose the 870 bone collector that i just got a few weeks ago. My buddy said it nock him right on his back. He didn't flop once. Now i'm hooked forever!!!   22 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 3/16th spurs.  A good 1st bird.
Weapon Remington 870 supermag bone collector, Indian creek tube, Hevi Shot 3inch 2 oz Magblend

new2turkey

Oh man that's just awesome!!!

Congrats, great story  :icon_thumright:

PANYHunter

Spellnj3

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

CASH

Outstanding!   Congrats on your first longbeard!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

renegade19

Cool.  Welcome to the Turkeyholics club.  Meetings are on Monday night during the off season.

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

bbcoach

CONGRATS on your First of Many!!!!!  Excellent First Bird!!!!

Basser69

BOFF

WOOHOOO!!

THAT is a GREAT ANYTIME BIRD!!!

Congrats on the first start of a long journey in the turkey hunting saga.

May there be many more!! And by that grin, I think I'm safe to say, there will be!!

God Bless,
David B.

archery1

CONGRATS.. THE SMILE SAYS IT ALL. ....HOOKED FOR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting

woodchip

SinGin

Man, look at your grin. Congrats, it's a memory that you"ll never forget. And that rush you got when he came in is better than any drug.

TClark

Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

mmusso

Congrats on number one but be warned... your life just got a lot more expensive  ;D