OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

B-square Vent rib Cantilever Mount

Started by Gumby, March 28, 2018, 05:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

Looking for general feedback on this mount. I have it set up on a small single action .410 and it seems sturdy. I have a TRS-25 on top. The only concern I have is the diving board flex found at the cantilever end of the base. It's not bad but if you push down on the sight, it definitely has some up and down play. Debating drilling and tapping through the base and using a set screw to stabilize and eliminate some of the bounce. Is this even necessary? The base and sight are rock solid unless you push down on them. What do y'all think?

terp

I put one on my daughters gun.   I mounted the TRS forward so it wouldn't flex much.  Closer to where it is mounted to the rib.

Gumby

Quote from: terp on March 28, 2018, 10:25:49 PM
I put one on my daughters gun.   I mounted the TRS forward so it wouldn't flex much.  Closer to where it is mounted to the rib.

Thanks for the input. I originally had mine mounted forward as well. My daughter could see much better with it back over the receiver/cantilever end so i moved it. Tonight my OCD got the best of me and I drilled and tapped a set screw back over the cantilever end just in front of the sight. This stabilized it a ton. No more flex.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I like your set screw idea.  I have one of these rails on an 870 youth with the Leupold 1-4x20 scope.  I didn't like the flex either so I glued a shim to the bottom side of the diving board so that it just meets the receiver when mounted.  The set screw sounds like a better way to go.

terp

snapper1982

I have a cant mount on an O/U and it has a little flex. Been thinking about putting 2 sided 3m tape under it

agent eight seven O

I have been thinking about putting one of these on a 20 gauge 870. How well does it mount to the rib? Does it seem secure enough? I like the idea of  the double sided tape also.

mightyjoeyoung

They're meant to flex.  They should always return to zero unless bent, which should take quite a bit of force to do. Just make sure your barrel is tight and everything is loktited. That set screw could very well damage either the mount or the gun receiver.  If anything,  I would only put and piece of high density foam between the mount and the receiver.  You're risking failure by not allowing some flex...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 29, 2018, 09:45:14 AM
They're meant to flex.  They should always return to zero unless bent, which should take quite a bit of force to do. Just make sure your barrel is tight and everything is loktited. That set screw could very well damage either the mount or the gun receiver.  If anything,  I would only put and piece of high density foam between the mount and the receiver.  You're risking failure by not allowing some flex...
The gap between the rail and the receiver is only a mm or two.  The only flex that is being inhibited is down into the receiver, and is hard for me to believe they are meant to do that. The shim I used is a thin rubber sheet.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: agent eight seven O on March 29, 2018, 09:39:51 AM
I have been thinking about putting one of these on a 20 gauge 870. How well does it mount to the rib? Does it seem secure enough? I like the idea of  the double sided tape also.
They mount really well on the 870 rib which is pretty heavy duty. 

stinkpickle

I just cut the cantilever part off to save weight.  ;)

Gumby

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 29, 2018, 09:45:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up. The set screw I placed is far enough forward (doesn't set into receiver but is into the vent-rib) to where there is still a little flex in the cantilever. This is in a .410 with minimal recoil so I hope failure doesn't happen.

tha bugman

I have not had any problems with mine.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2018, 10:45:49 AM
I just cut the cantilever part off to save weight.  ;)
Exactly what I did!! :turkey2:

squidd

So far so good on a Winchester SX2 20-ga. Used extra Loctite to ensure the screws were set!

Have put 10 rounds or so through the gun/reflex site with no zero shift issues.

Now I need to see a  :turkey2: