OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Acceptable tss #'s?

Started by RiverRoost, March 28, 2018, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

What are acceptable tss 10" numbers at 40 yards with 9's? Got an M2 with sumtoy 562 and big stubby XL loads that only did 206. It's a great pattern for hunting but not the flashy pattern I was expecting. I was worried about the 562 being too tight but it may just be the shell the choke didn't like.

taylorjones20

250+- in the 10 and 250+- in the 20 is what I strive for.  Good even hunting pattern.  Kinda surprised at that low of a count.  Did you happen to clean the barrel real good before patterning?
Alive only by the Grace Of God

howl

You're not alone. I had better luck with a different load using a different wad.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 28, 2018, 02:09:57 PM
What are acceptable tss 10" numbers at 40 yards with 9's? Got an M2 with sumtoy 562 and big stubby XL loads that only did 206. It's a great pattern for hunting but not the flashy pattern I was expecting. I was worried about the 562 being too tight but it may just be the shell the choke didn't like.

You need to try a Carlson's .575 ext choke. I loved my sumtoy in my remington, but my stoeger (that's close to the m2 barrel) loves the Carlson's
Romans 8:38-39

RiverRoost

My 870 with those shells and a Remington super full (.572) was smoking at 20 yards. Like basketball tight pattern. I know this is a different gun and choke but I've read good stuff on the sumtoy 562. Wondering if the choke is too tight.

Yes I cleaned the barrel really good before I shot it. I ahot one dove load to check my impact then one at 20 yds and I think 3 more at 40 yards bringing my sights up

Spurs Up

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 28, 2018, 02:09:57 PM

I'm not a big fan of shooting a combo that produces a hot core, but 206 in the 10" at 40 with a load containing almost 600 pellets is too thin for me. It's sure to result in an inordinate number of pellets well outside the 20" circle. Sounds like a blown pattern and time to try something with less constriction. I'd look for something in the neighborhood of .575-.585 next.

BandedSpur

I look for 50% of the load in 10" @ 40, with as much of the remainder in the 10-20" as possible.