OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where will the line be drawn?

Started by Premier Turkey Calls, March 27, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Just a question as good for thought..........

How come the vast majority of states do NOT allow the use of #2 lead, but have not said a word about #7 TSS ??    Both appear to have nearly identical effective ranges on turkeys.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spitten and drummen

A whole lot more pellets in a 7 than in #2 lead making it actually more effective pattern wise. Also some was known back in the day to shoot deer with the number 2 while turkey hunting. Who knows. That's almost like asking why you can't shoot turkeys with 00 buckshot .
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

appalachianassassin

due to terrain, my average shot is 30 ft not 30 yds. I cant remember the last bird ive killed past 25 yds.

Gooserbat

It's simply know your gun.  Not all gun/choke/load combo's will produce a 60 consistant yard pattern. With that in mind there are those who put forth the effort to create such a combo, and to censor them and their knowledge of what it takes to get it done is no different than the left-wing media.  Just because you don't like the way someone else is hunting doesn't make their way wrong.  Couple of years ago it was fanning, before that it was blinds and decoys, now it's tss and legit 60 yard guns.

The biggest hurdle faced by the outdoor community today is internal division.  Trad bowhunters don't like compounds, and all bowhunters don't like crossbows.  Flintlock shooters say in-lines and scopes have no place during "their" season, now turkey hunting is becoming a segmented sport.  All the while we're loosing casual hunters and thus loosing the segment of the population that makes the difference at the polls. Remember you'll never encounter 99.9% of those people who don't hunt like you  when you are afield. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 28, 2018, 02:58:42 AM
Just because you don't like the way someone else is hunting doesn't make there way wrong.  Couple of years ago it was fanning, before that it was blinds and decoys, now it's tss and legit 60 yard guns.

The biggest hurdle faced by the outdoor community today is internal division.  Trad bowhunters don't like compounds, and all bowhunters don't like crossbows.  Flintlock shooters say in-lines and scopes have no plans during "their" season, now turkey hunting is becoming a segmented sport.  All the while we're loosing casual hunters and thus loosing the segment of the population that makes the difference at the polls. Remember you'll never encounter 99.9% of those people who don't hunt like you  when you are afield.

There's a lot of truth to this...

How one hunts should make NO difference to anyone as long done so legally and ethically.

It is your decision (freedom) to do so, some may choose an alternate method to "hunt" in a manner than what you or I do and I'm ok with that and really makes no difference to me.

Now when it comes to "opinions" and we ask it a lot here, I have some interest in that. All in a good read and I that's what I share as well, just my personal opinion nothing more nothing less...

MK M GOBL

chatterbox

I try to avoid these topics, but will throw in my 2 cents.
I hunt with a 20 gauge with Federal Heviweights, or Hevi-13's in #7 shot, and if I could get my hands on Federal TSS, I would hunt with it in a heartbeat.
I hunt over decoys in fields, but rarely use them in the woods.
If it's pouring out, I will hunt in a blind because it's still better than not being out there at all.
99% of my kills have been 30 yards and under with either lead #4, Hevi-13, or Federal Heviweights.
The common denominator with the exception of the yardage distance, is they are all legal.
I don't fan or reap not because it's immoral or illegal, but because I was taught to call them in to 40 and under or they win. I don't need to go home with a turkey over my shoulder to have a great day in the woods.
Last spring, Harrison and I called one over 600 yards right into Harrison's lap, and he pulled the trigger at about 20.
Nothing was more exciting than watching that bird commit to the call, and come in on a rope.
I feel if he had shot him way out at 50, it would've not been as satisfying to us.
However, that's the way I learned, and that's how I taught him.
I will not tell another person how to hunt. If it's legal, and it brings you joy and you are happy with how you harvest your bird, I'm happy for you, but don't judge me on my methods.

sevetts

It's simply know your gun.  Not all gun/choke/load combo's will produce a 60 consistant yard pattern. With that in mind there are those who put forth the effort to create such a combo, and to censor them and their knowledge of what it takes to get it done is no different than the left-wing media.  Just because you don't like the way someone else is hunting doesn't make there way wrong.  Couple of years ago it was fanning, before that it was blinds and decoys, now it's tss and legit 60 yard guns.

The biggest hurdle faced by the outdoor community today is internal division.  Trad bowhunters don't like compounds, and all bowhunters don't like crossbows.  Flintlock shooters say in-lines and scopes have no plans during "their" season, now turkey hunting is becoming a segmented sport.  All the while we're loosing casual hunters and thus loosing the segment of the population that makes the difference at the polls. Remember you'll never encounter 99.9% of those people who don't hunt like you  when you are afield.
.  Yes sir my thoughts exactly. I appreciate your stance. I ordered 2 calls from ya and had no plans on doing so before reading this post.

zelmo1

"Together we stand, divided we fall". Good post Gosserbat  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Sir-diealot

I want to point our and should have pointed out that one of the other reasons I do not shoot further is my eyes simply suck, even with glasses so when I finally do get the chance for a turkey I will have to limit myself to this. Partially the same reason with bow but also because I believe they are more likely to jump the string (Deer) at longer distances. As far as shotgun with sabot and rifle go I am not a great shot so I limit myself more than most people would because I want to be fair to the animal. I do prefer to get something in close though, really gets the heart pumping!

As far as the united we stand divided we fall comment above I do agree with that and that is why I am going for my trapping license this year though I doubt I will ever do much trapping because of some physical issues. (Hard to work a trap when you can't kneel) I will also start buying the waterfowl stamp.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 27, 2018, 08:13:16 PM
Here the problem with 60 yd. shots...less than 5% of the turkey hunter/gun/load/choke combinations will be consistent at this range. Way too many variables at this range.

I've just about been run off Facebook trying to explain this to the " I'm going to shoot something" crowd.

Turkey hunting is changing...and it's not for the betterment of the sport

I agree with you!! It seems like turkey hunting has become turkey "killing" vs "hunting. Too many hunters want that instant gratification picture on FB, instagram, or whatever social media they use and will take less than optimal shots at turkeys to get that hey look at me picture. Unfortunately, I don't see this situation improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I will sum up my opinion and keep it short and sweet. It will be used poperly by the minority and abused by the majority.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

DawgsFan1

Just because you don't like the way someone else is hunting doesn't make there way wrong.  Couple of years ago it was fanning, before that it was blinds and decoys, now it's tss and legit 60 yard guns.

What Gooserbat said is right on. There will always be differences of opinion and styles.
I have no problem with someone who knows what their gun will do with said load and can confidently kill the bird at 60yds. I do think people should be responsible enough not to just take "advertisement" at its word but pattern their gun. Know for sure what it will do.
Furthermore, if they want to use decoys and/or blinds have at it. I don't personally use them but I have several friends that do. I'm not about to tell them they're wrong because their opinion/style is different than mine.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Cut N Run

I agree with Gooserbat's take.

Personally, I shoot Hevi shot because I want to see the leaves and brush shake after it passes through the far side of the gobbler I'm shooting at.  I never had a problem killing turkeys with lead shot, but the patterns I get with Hevi are superior AND I get improved knockdown power with a size smaller shot.  WIN/WIN!  I know TSS outperforms Hevi shot, I just own too much Hevi to switch. 

I know a guy who hunts turkeys about like he hunts doves...Opening Day and not much more.  He doesn't bother to pattern his gun and will bum shells off whoever is hunting his property, so he doesn't have to spend any of his money.  He's also wounded or lost more gobblers than anybody else I know.  He doesn't care enough to get his mess together.  That's also why I'm glad he gives up when the hunting gets more difficult. He has it leased to some other guys, so I don't hunt there much anymore and I'm glad to say he doesn't either.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mtns2hunt

Awesome post! I have never used Tss but probably will when I switch to a 20 gauge. Not trying to get personal but I don't give a dam what anyone thinks when I use decoys or take longer than normal shots. I have used blinds too. I participate in this forum to learn and share. How I hunt is only my bussiness so long as it is legal. 
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game