turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where will the line be drawn?

Started by Premier Turkey Calls, March 27, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Turkey Calls

After recently reading an article about the rather new TSS shot and the extended range capabilities, I came to wonder at what point will the line be drawn of how far is too far to shoot a turkey? The article said that the TSS has the potential to take turkeys out to 60 even 70 yards. How far will you be able to take a turkey in the near future? I personally take great pride in being able to draw turkeys in within 40 yards. This is what makes turkey hunting so special to me. I love interacting with turkeys and sitting just feet away from a wild animal that knows nothing about your whereabouts. This is just an opinion but I feel that extended shots take the fun out of turkey hunting and even if I could shoot to 70 yards I refuse to do so because that's not what turkey hunting means to me. Turkey hunting to me is not about "killing" a turkey. I could go the rest of my life without ever killing a turkey and not be upset. The opportunity to chase turkeys and enjoy nature is what it is all about. Not only this but when will turkey hunters have to start wearing orange with how far their turkey shotguns are becoming lethal? What do you all think? How far out are we willing to go just to kill a turkey?

POk3s

It's the same with everything kind of weaponry in hunting.

Bow sights that range the target for you and give you a luminated dot to aim with.

Guys building 600 yard muzzle loaders.

2000 yard hunting rifles.

It was only a matter of time before shotguns was part of the game too. I don't think we can do anything about it besides being true to yourself and hunt how you want and how you enjoy.

guesswho

Many years ago my line was about 30, that's the range we felt comfortable shooting at with the guns/ammo we had.  Then about 20-25 years ago I moved it back to 40.  I still let them come as close as they want, but once they step inside my perceived 40 I do my best to not let them get back to 41.   I really don't see myself shooting any further than that, ever.  At least in purpose.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deerpoo22

Everybody has their own ethical max range they're willing to shoot. If 40 is someone's max I absolutely will respect them for that, if another's is 60 yards I'll will also respect you. My biggest gripe is with people who have absolutely no idea what their own gun is capable of or where the pattern is even hitting. As long is you follow the 100/10 rule and can do it consistently in all conditions, then I wont judge what you do.

Also I think for many hunters TSS will dramatically help with the problem of lost birds due to misjudged range. Even the very best of us will misjudge from time to time. Finally I believe the people who intend to plunk tss in their guns and think they can start sniping turkeys 70+ yards away will prove to be in the  minority for which I'm grateful.

Blackduck

100% agree with deerpoo22. I live where rifles are legal and know farmers who "tag out" every spring from their tractor seats with anything from a 22-250 to a 30-06 at 100-300 yards while working the farm. I hate that big strutters have to go this way, a lost opportunity for a great hunt, but it's legal (except for being on the tractor, but maybe they get down). I knew guys hand loading tss long ago claiming 70 yards no problem. Never interested me. Still I switched to hevi-shot from lead, and will probably switch to tss. I don't shoot enough shells a spring to mind the price, not when compared to the hunting license and tanks of gas to get there and back. I guess I just like the idea of that 35 yard gobbler being deader, when dead just ain't enough. My big gripe is also the guys hunting, and shooting, who don't know what their gun and load really does. Just pattern the darn thing and shoot at distances it is a guaranteed kill.

nyhunter

Quote from: Premier Turkey Calls on March 27, 2018, 05:35:51 PM
After recently reading an article about the rather new TSS shot and the extended range capabilities, I came to wonder at what point will the line be drawn of how far is too far to shoot a turkey? The article said that the TSS has the potential to take turkeys out to 60 even 70 yards. How far will you be able to take a turkey in the near future? I personally take great pride in being able to draw turkeys in within 40 yards. This is what makes turkey hunting so special to me. I love interacting with turkeys and sitting just feet away from a wild animal that knows nothing about your whereabouts. This is just an opinion but I feel that extended shots take the fun out of turkey hunting and even if I could shoot to 70 yards I refuse to do so because that's not what turkey hunting means to me. Turkey hunting to me is not about "killing" a turkey. I could go the rest of my life without ever killing a turkey and not be upset. The opportunity to chase turkeys and enjoy nature is what it is all about. Not only this but when will turkey hunters have to start wearing orange with how far their turkey shotguns are becoming lethal? What do you all think? How far out are we willing to go just to kill a turkey?

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: X2, well said

40yds is my max line,

Sir-diealot

I feel 35 yards is plenty myself, I bow hunt to get animals that close as well because it is a true challenge.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mtns2hunt

Many if not most on this forum are ethical. However the pressure to bring game home will always overcome common sense in some.

Basically you draw your own line.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

TJK68

My line is 40, but I prefer them inside 30. The closer they are, the more excitingthe hunt. JMHO!!!!

daddyduke

Check pattern at 40 and keep shots 35 and under. (5 yard buffer)
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Spitten and drummen

First of all , all this talk of tss is beating a dead horse. Just because tss has the density and energy to take birds at those ranges do not mean that's what we do. I handload my own tss and it's enjoyable. You can easily form a opinion with having no first hand knowledge of the effectiveness of the load or the people who shoot it. I have 40 years of turkey hunting and I have killed around 150 Gobbler's , all called to the gun and in reasonable shotgun range. I started shooting tss for the pattern density and retained energy. I love to turkey hunt and do not mind using the best equipment I can to ensure that when I pull the trigger , I will not cripple that bird. Before getting on a high horse , think about all the modern equipment that you use to help you harvest a bird. Leave that camo at home , break out a crack barrel with a brass bead sight , some lead shot 4s and the list goes on. You draw the line where your ethics and morals tell you to. Good luck
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

g8rvet

I like to challenge myself.  I did that with deer hunting.  Finally got the M/L, archery, pistol, etc.  Got bored with it.  My second bird will be shot with a M/L this year or not shot at all.  With duck hunting, I like to get away from the crowds, even if it means getting away from the birds.  I am not into "trophy" ducks, I am into trophy shoots.  Challenging shooting is what I enjoy now. 

I say do what is within your ethics. But I must admit I do judge others making crazy long shots.  Just admit all you care about is the bag and not the effort and it makes it easier to take for me.  It is legal to kill on private where I am with a rifle.  The only person I have not judged is a guy I know with Parkinsons so bad, he can only sit in a stand and shoot one with a rifle from a rest-could not hardly walk very far at all.  God bless him and more power to him. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 27, 2018, 07:47:17 PM

First of all , all this talk of tss is beating a dead horse. Just because tss has the density and energy to take birds at those ranges do not mean that's what we do. I handload my own tss and it's enjoyable. You can easily form a opinion with having no first hand knowledge of the effectiveness of the load or the people who shoot it. I have 40 years of turkey hunting and I have killed around 150 Gobbler's , all called to the gun and in reasonable shotgun range. I started shooting tss for the pattern density and retained energy. I love to turkey hunt and do not mind using the best equipment I can to ensure that when I pull the trigger , I will not cripple that bird. Before getting on a high horse , think about all the modern equipment that you use to help you harvest a bird. Leave that camo at home , break out a crack barrel with a brass bead sight , some lead shot 4s and the list goes on. You draw the line where your ethics and morals tell you to. Good luck
I don't think there is a turkey hunter I would respect that would disagree with your reason for shooting it, or your ethics.  I don't think the OP would at all.  It is not about the load, but the use of it to snipe. 

I misjudged a bird badly.  He was standing next to a different tuft of weeds that I knew were 36 yards from me, but he was actually about 46.  Because I was using #6 Hevi, he met his maker.  His buddy came over and stomped him a while and left the field gobbling.  I feel bad I misjudged that bad, but I was shocked when I stepped it off.   I use better loads so that I kill instead of cripple as well.  And try my dangedest to shoot them inside of 35, I prefer 30 and that is the majority of my birds (no where near 150 though).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Man, I am too wore out from the reaping thread to start this fight today. I will wait till gobblenut wakes up from his nap and jumps in. Ronnie didn't give me much opportunity to be a wise elbow.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gamblinman

Here the problem with 60 yd. shots...less than 5% of the turkey hunter/gun/load/choke combinations will be consistent at this range. Way too many variables at this range.

I've just about been run off Facebook trying to explain this to the " I'm going to shoot something" crowd.

Turkey hunting is changing...and it's not for the betterment of the sport
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."