Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New guy looking for other mouth calls to try...

Started by ezmorningrebel, March 25, 2018, 12:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezmorningrebel

I'll start by saying I'm pretty new to turkey hunting.  Last spring was the first time I got serious about pursuing them and had a couple of close calls.  Same thing this fall but haven't sealed the deal yet.  I tried a bunch of mouth calls last year and the two that worked best for me were the cheap primos aframe doubles from Walmart and a navy blue perfection call (super double d maybe?) that Jim Clay handed me at a show.  Both of these calls have two thin reeds which I'm guessing are easier to use?  Anything else out there I should try?  Thanks.

llauber79

Quote from: ezmorningrebel on March 25, 2018, 12:09:24 PM
I'll start by saying I'm pretty new to turkey hunting.  Last spring was the first time I got serious about pursuing them and had a couple of close calls.  Same thing this fall but haven't sealed the deal yet.  I tried a bunch of mouth calls last year and the two that worked best for me were the cheap primos aframe doubles from Walmart and a navy blue perfection call (super double d maybe?) that Jim Clay handed me at a show.  Both of these calls have two thin reeds which I'm guessing are easier to use?  Anything else out there I should try?  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llauber79

Hen'd Up Custom Calls

Marc

I have used a few calls, and have it narrowed down to Gooserbat and Hooks...

Both are great call makers, and both will talk to you on the phone and send you their personal recommendations based on your description of needs and wants out of a call.  Both are less expensive than many of the commercial calls as well...

I also like Woodhaven calls, but feel that they are a bit over-priced currently...  There are a couple I really like, and if I see them on sale will purchase them though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

sixbird

Every person will have a different preference along with a different anatomy regarding tongue, mouth,etc.
What you need to do first is figure out what air flow you have. After you have that nailed down, then you'll know what cut will suit your anatomy.
If you go to Calling All Turkeys on Youtube, you'll find a video that explains which cuts will suit your particular needs.
It's easy and it'll pay you dividends in calls that you didn't waste and frustration you didn't needlessly put yourself through...

sixbird

llauber79

Sixbird nailed it. You can't take that advice to the bank.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Turkz39

Try a 2 reed batwing call.  Legacy game calls makes a good one.

ezmorningrebel

Wow that video was pretty eye opening.  I didn't realize what the different cuts were for.  Thanks for posting that.

Boykin Hollow

Can't beat the Hooks for the price and a great sounding call.  I prefer the heart throb and enforcer

mspaci

Ive been running Gulvas & cane creek last few years, like both, and killer hen from lone howl on here,  Mike