turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Too many turkeys?

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, March 24, 2018, 09:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

Is there such a thing? We have so many it's almost like they just don't respond to pot calls, box, mouth, owl, crow, decoys, you name it. There's always at least 6-7 strutters and around 25-40 hens. They do the same thing every year. Gobble on roost, answer a few calls on the ground right off roost and strut and then shut up and don't say another word. Not that I can call that good but I do call in birds at other farms. Is there such a thing as too many turkeys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Winter groups?  Haven't broken up yet?  Hens aren't receptive.  Gobblers will move in and strut but not much gobbling.  They should break up soon, then the gobblers will get cranking the first couple of hours.  What state?

Laloom83

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 24, 2018, 09:15:34 AM
Is there such a thing? We have so many it's almost like they just don't respond to pot calls, box, mouth, owl, crow, decoys, you name it. There's always at least 6-7 strutters and around 25-40 hens. They do the same thing every year. Gobble on roost, answer a few calls on the ground right off roost and strut and then shut up and don't say another word. Not that I can call that good but I do call in birds at other farms. Is there such a thing as too many turkeys?

I want this problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy

From a biological stand point yes. If to many animals stack up in one location eventually a disease will reduce there numbers. From a hunting stand point, enjoy it while it lasts. Turkeys are turkeys, they eat, sleep and breed. Your turkeys will respond to calls and obviously they aren't shy about hooking up so go get them. Just realize you have a lot of hen competition. There are several ways to deal with that.
1: get tight to a roosted tom and play like the first horny hen to hit the ground in the morning. Pray and cross your fingers he flies down early and you can kill him before the hens get to him.
2: Try and call the whole flock in once they are on the ground. In this situation it is best  to forget about the gobblers and call to the hens. He will go where they go.
3: Hunt late mornings and afternoons (if legal)after the real hens start peeling off the flock to lay eggs. This also applies to later in the season.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PharmHunter

Go somewhere and take your time eating a nice breakfast.  Then go back and kill a longbeard later in the morning. 

As the season goes on, I'd imagine you'll see a change up in the groups as well. 

TauntoHawk

Once I had so many turkeys in front on my gun barrel I couldn't shoot without fear of killing a half dozen with one shot. There were 13 longbeards like 20 Jake's and must have been 50 hens in one flock all dancing around on an opening morning. I thought boy this is a stupid problem to have lol

We gave em a week to break up more and started to kill em then.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dtrkyman

Not sure where you are hunting but in Nebraska when dealing with an obnoxious amount of birds we have our best success between 11am and 5pm and really do well when the wind is blowing through out the day, it seems the toms lose track of the hens are are very responsive!

If I could stand to sleep in I would, but I have to go out for the roost show!  One dead tree on a farm they roost often on, look like ornaments on a christmas tree from a distance!   

ThunderChickenHunter21

I'm in middle tn, and they never break up as season goes on until usually last few weeks you can catch a line gobbler from the flock sometimes. We are almost out of options at this farm lol. It's like deer hunting almost

DrDirtNap

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 24, 2018, 09:15:34 AM

Sounds like too many turkeys or too many hens is certainly a possibility in your situation.  I've never experienced anything like that before.   I'm in west TN so if you need some help thinning your population just let me know.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 24, 2018, 10:36:09 AM
I'm in middle tn, and they never break up as season goes on until usually last few weeks you can catch a line gobbler from the flock sometimes. We are almost out of options at this farm lol. It's like deer hunting almost

You could get really aggressive and bust the flock up and try and call em back in

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

In answer to your question,...yes, there can be too many turkeys such that what we all consider to be "standard" hunting practices will not work well.  As others have said, however, usually in those situations, the solution is generally just a matter of changing your hunting strategy.  When there are too many turkeys around, it is usually just a matter of time until you are in the right spot at the right time and doing the right thing. 

bbcoach

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 24, 2018, 11:14:13 AM
Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on March 24, 2018, 10:36:09 AM

You could get really aggressive and bust the flock up and try and call em back in

I was thinking same thing Hawk.  Never had that problem before but would love to try it.  Maybe frustrating having too many birds but I sure would like to give it a try.

Laloom83

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 24, 2018, 10:32:24 AM
look like ornaments on a christmas tree from a distance!

When I lived down south I saw this in the Texas panhandle on a lease my dad and his buddies have. It was unreal out of two trees birds pitched down in a wheat field. I counted 36 in strut and it had to be another 75-100 hens, Jakes, and gobblers not strutting. Crazy

g8rvet

If I had that awesome problem, I would do some studying and listen to guys on here that hunt that way all the time (Texas, Nebraska, etc).  They deal with that in certain places all year and kill birds.  Just can't hunt them the standard "Eastern" way.  Improvise, adapt, overcome!   Good luck.  You have a problem many of us would love.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Lol I enjoy the show and seeing the birds, would just be nice to work them every now and then. I have thought about busting them up and trying it that way but never tried it. Sounds like need to do that and hunt in middle of the day. Thanks for all the responses