turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga. auto question...which one?

Started by sswv, March 23, 2018, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

I know I'll never get the results from an auto loader that I do with my 870 youth with a 21" barrel BUT I just want one. Looking for something light weight, short barrel and a WIDE variety of choke tubes available and last but not least, something that won't break the bank.  let's hear it y'all

MS!48

Quote from: sswv on March 23, 2018, 06:42:28 PM
I know I'll never get the results from an auto loader that I do with my 870 youth with a 21" barrel BUT I just want one. Looking for something light weight, short barrel and a WIDE variety of choke tubes available and last but not least, something that won't break the bank.  let's hear it y'all
I have wanted one of the Franchi Affinity's for awhile now in a 20 gauge. I just can't really make myself buy one since my 870 youth shoots so good. My brother is looking at the Winchester sx3 I believe in a 20 gauge. Watched some videos on it and it seems to pattern very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyinstrut

Not sure why you think you won't get the performance out of a automatic that you get with your pump but the Franchi Affinity is a excellent choice.

PALongspur

I'm really happy with my M2 but if I was to do it over agin, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Affinity.

erikmcgarrh

I purchased the Stoeger m3020 ive been very pleased with it,its also inertia operated comes with a factory turkey and at $533.00 plus tax out the door was pretty reasonable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7shooter

Stoeger 3020 with factory tube. My favorite of all the 20's I own and have owned and that includes and M2.

surehuntsalot

another vote for the stoeger 3020   I love mine
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

outdoorsmen

I have a benelli m1, 1187, and a silver. I like the m1 the best but the 1187 shoots real soft.

g8rvet

I had planned to look at several, but when I picked up the Weatherby SA-459, I knew it was going home with me.  All these are good choices, see which one feels best when you pick it up.

I get the exact same numbers (high 160s) in both the 459 and my daughter's youth 870 with Fed HW#7
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: sswv on March 23, 2018, 06:42:28 PM

Why don't you think you'll get the results from an auto? My stoeger m3020 patterns amazingly, it has better patterns then my youth 870 did. it also weighs less than my youth model 870.
Romans 8:38-39

sswv

well, to answer your question bowhunter2k9 I grew up with Remington's, Browning's and Winchesters all with fixed chokes and the pump action guns always performed better. Now with that being said, I'm sure these new (LOT'S to choose from) shotguns with all the different chokes that are available will keep up with the pumps. My deal is...there are just so many to choose from. I want a short barrel, no longer than 24"s, light weight and something I can get a wide variety of chokes for without breaking the bank. I've been looking and it seems the guns made in Turkey are everywhere. I have a friend with a Tri-Star and he loves it. Another friend has a Mossberg that's made in Turkey and he loves it. I've also seen the CZ USA 720 and liked it. I know the CZ rifles shoot awesome. Anyway, thanks for all the opinions so far. Keep it coming.

Recurve

I have the 870 youth and the SA 459 Weatherby they both shoot about the same pattern  and very well. I am shooting the Longbeards #6 with .568 Carlson's  both 40+ yd.

Phire Phite

Truly plenty of good options, m2, 3020...but if the shorter barrel is a requirement, I think it lessons your choices.  Not sure what "breaks the bank", but.

I'd go Sa-459 personally, an 11-87 youth would also work (there may be more?).  Disclaimer: I have no direct experience with either of these, although my uncle uses an 11-87 12 ga.  But there is more than enough data logged on this site to support my suggestion. :anim_25:

SKFOOTER

You will be more than pleased with a Franchi Affinity!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: sswv on March 26, 2018, 09:17:52 PM
well, to answer your question bowhunter2k9 I grew up with Remington's, Browning's and Winchesters all with fixed chokes and the pump action guns always performed better. Now with that being said, I'm sure these new (LOT'S to choose from) shotguns with all the different chokes that are available will keep up with the pumps. My deal is...there are just so many to choose from. I want a short barrel, no longer than 24"s, light weight and something I can get a wide variety of chokes for without breaking the bank. I've been looking and it seems the guns made in Turkey are everywhere. I have a friend with a Tri-Star and he loves it. Another friend has a Mossberg that's made in Turkey and he loves it. I've also seen the CZ USA 720 and liked it. I know the CZ rifles shoot awesome. Anyway, thanks for all the opinions so far. Keep it coming.
Stoeger M3020= VERY lightweight (5.6 lbs.for the 26" bbl. version),VERY affordable (especially for an inertia gun) if you type in the model and MFG. #(EX. MFG# 31823 for Stoeger M3020 26" bbl. black finish,and MFG #31821 for Stoeger M3020 26" Realtree APG camo) of gun then gun.deals it will take you to the prices and availability of guns that shops have black is in stock,red is out of stock....BTW this used to be slickguns.com. Another great aspect is that it takes Beretta/Benelli - Mobil choke system. The only down side I see to your debate is bbl length....shortest is 26"....however,longer bbls do provide a bit more velocity,and I've seen as a whole,the longer bbls pattern better. Hope this helps!!!! Good luck!!!! Oh yea, almost forgot the Stoeger also includes the shim kit same as Benelli.