turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tuff year lower Bama.

Started by contagious, April 19, 2011, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contagious

There still kicking my butt here in Bama.!! tight lipped and when they do gobble they are with hens.Worked a bird for 2 1/2 hours last Sat.on a old logging road,would gobble at everything but would not move .He was 75-80 yards around a corner in the road,finally tried to make it happen and crawled down the road on hands and knees as close as i could,two minutes later here comes a white head and i let him have it.!!!Four birds flew up at about 45 yards one with a nice long beard,and there in the road lay a jake with a 4" stub. What was he doing there after 2 1/2 hours.?A strutting tom will usually kick a jake's butt if he shows up.That's how my season has gone all year.took five birds last year,can't buy one at the store this year.!!! Two weeks left to make it happen,and i'm sure it will.

Called one in for a friend on opening day,and thought is was going to be just like last year,NOT!!!! Same friend and ii were walking up at logging trail in the afternoon,and i stopped and  told him i was going walk down in a bottom where they were gobbling that morning.He walk another 50 yards up the trail and there were three toms strutting in the road.He stopped in the edge of the trail one of the strutted down the trail and he had another nice bird on the ground less than five minutes after we split up.!!!!  Thats why it's called turkey hunting and not turkey killing.

Beretta686

Gobble like a big turkey, die like a big turkey.

Keep going and keep having fun

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Basser69

Stand strong and call softly... It will happen  :z-guntootsmiley:

Gobbling Buck

Yes it is a tough year.  I've only heard 7 birds gobble all season.  They will gobble a couple times on the roost and then.....nothing.  I did get on one yesterday that gobbled on the ground while moving away from me.  I knew where he was going and eased around to the green field, he was in ALL BY HIMSELF!!!!  Then, I messed up and tried a shot that was too far.  I tried to call to him first, but he paid absolutely no attention to that.  For as good as last year was, this one has been TOUGH.

contagious

Basser69

I understand what your saying. Last year I called in 8 long beards youth weekend for an example. This year I have called in a total of 1 gobbler and a bunch of hens and I have only missed one weekend in the woods.

wbpc

Toughest season I can remember.  Have not heard a turkey since April 9th.  Hope the hunting in Kentucky is better.

BrowningGuy88

I generally account for three myself and am in on 10 or 12 more that other people shoot. This year, I have called in one double that two buddies got, killed two coyotes, and walked up on 5 or 6 gobblers out in big fields at different times. I could have killed probably 4 of the ones I walked up on, but that isn't why I turkey hunt. I cannot get on to play the game to save my life though --- they are simply not gobbling much anymore and weren't breaking records when they were gobbling earlier in the season.

contagious

We had an early spring here in LA. First week of February the temperature went to the 70's and low 80's  for 6 or 7 weeks.I know it's not supposed to have any effect (length of the day determines breeding),but i want to blame on that.Have a friend that was deer hunting the same place I'm turkey hunting and he said they were gobbling their brains out the last week of January.?     

Basser69

I was in south Alabama the last weekend in January and had 5 birds gobbling. They would actually cut me off when I made any clucks or yelps with my mouth. It was a great morning deer sitting

bowhunter84

dawgfrombama

Tell me about it.  I'm recouping today from a long trip out to TX but I will be on them in the morning.