OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mississippi Success

Started by jblackburn, March 19, 2018, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I took leave for the beginning of the MS season and took a drive up to the Homochitto.  Tough hunting up there, but I was able to locate some birds. They gobbled ok on the roost opening morning, but I made a terrible set up. After 20 years of chasing them I still make stupid mistakes.  That afternoon one of them came in silent but would not come closer than 80-90 yards, but I heard him fly up to roost.

Woke up to spitting rain and almost didn't go out the next morning, but the knowledge of where one was roosted was enough motivation to put on rain gear and head out.  I did not have high hopes with the weather, but hey, I'm ate up with turkeys. 

He finally gobbled once, fairly late nearly 7:30. Everything was perfect. I was about 120 yards from him, in the bottom they seem to like to fly  down to then head across the creek to private land. I was even between him and the creek. Then another tom fired up about 80 yards straight behind me and I nearly had to break out the Charmin. They started gobbling back and forth, then thunder rumbled in the distance and I swear they each gobbled until they were out of breath!  I was even in between them! Text book! I was pumped, nervous, shaking and loving it. I gave a couple of subtle clucks and they exploded! I'm gun on the knee waiting for wing beats, but they were too worried about gobbling.  Then a third fired up way off and they all were gobbling back and forth.  Then I hear wings. Anticipation. Eyes scanning the brush. Nothing coming. The one behind me continues to gobble. The distant one gobbles back every time.  More wing beats. I just know he's going to be right behind me. I look up to see him sailing over my head toward the third one. They meet up, gobble once 500 yards away and never make another peep. I hate turkeys.

11:45 am. I strike them back up. But they straight up get by me somehow. I still hate turkeys.

That afternoon I got back in the bottom. It's hot. Muggy. South Mississippi. About 4:00 he lights up several hundred yards away. I make a move in the bottom to keep the hill between me an him since the pine woods are still very open without leaves on the underbrush.  He was hot and and looking for love. Well more love, I guess. I figured he was alone but two hens appeared first and were coming straight for me. He finally makes his appearance and is lagging behind them 20-30 yards. One of the hens does not like the weird looking lump next to the pine tree and begins rubber necking, no putts so she's just skittish, not full alarm mode. He steps into a shooting window I had and made a mistake of lifting his head to look around. I won't talk distance, but I'm glad Gooserbat loaded me some TSS. He didn't even flop.

I call him a 3 year old, one inch sharp spurs and a nine inch beard. Poor guy needed a sandwich, only weighed 15 lbs 10 oz!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

tha bugman

Love those woods!!!  Great story and Congrats!!! :happy0064:

zelmo1

Great day brother. Congrats on the nice bird  :funnyturkey: :drool: :drool:

harleytom

Love the story. Congrats

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

silvestris

Come on man, talk distance.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

uarobert

Congrats on a well earned bird.

djrcm7

Nice work! Good read and that feeling of being in the perfect spot with hot Gobbs thundering all around is one of the greatest anticipation feelings out there
Med student from MO

jblackburn

Quote from: silvestris on March 19, 2018, 12:04:22 PM

More than acceptable OG range, but not obscene  :turkey2:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Oxley777

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for Arkansas opener!

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

cbhunter15

renegade19

harleytom

Quote from: jblackburn on March 19, 2018, 01:19:05 PM
Quote from: silvestris on March 19, 2018, 12:04:22 PM

More than acceptable OG range, but not obscene  :turkey2:
Well said, gotta remind ourselves we have some TSS police on duty here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk