OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

On the board opening day in AL - my first public bird

Started by uarobert, March 19, 2018, 09:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarobert

The day before the opener, I had checked my plan A spot. I drove into the WMA and made a hike over an hour to get away from the crowds. He gobbled right where I thought he would be, plus a few other birds on other ridges in the area, so I was all set.
I got there the next morning with plenty of time to spare to make my coffee and do my hike. When I got to the forest road: "Road and area closed for prescribed burning." I was completely shut out.
I quickly rushed to plan B spot, which is in an area that was going to get slammed with hunters. Fortunately, my original plan got me there early enough to beat them.
No gobbles before it got light, so I set up on a small food plot with a trail going out either end. After a few calls I heard him cluck once when he flew down just down the trail going out the opposite end of the plot. After about 10 min, I had turned my eyes to the woods and when I turned them back to the trail, he was standing there, looking for the Jake fight I had been imitating. Three day hunt and I had this closed mouth bird in the 1st hour.
19lb, 10" beard, 1" right spur, broken left spur. I wonder what kind of trouble Ol' Stumpy got himself into.

Oh, and thanks to Gooserbat for the PLS that called him in.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

zelmo1

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gobbler428

Congratulations - Sometimes you can make lemonade out of lemons - Really nice bird!

turkeymanjim

Congrats on a nice gobbler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

buckmark13

Nice job and a great way to start the season!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

harleytom

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

grnhead1312

Congrats! Not much more rewarding than a public land bird.

uarobert

tomstopper