OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finding his exact tree.

Started by born2hunt, March 18, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2hunt

You hear it all the time, "just look for droppings and feathers on the ground to identify roost sites"...but how often do you have success doing so. I don't mean just randomly but if I listen to one gobbling in the morning from a little distance I will often go in later to try and pinpoint his exact tree so I can figure the safest approach and setup. Sometimes l can find It but It just seems my success rate is low and often I can't find crap... literally !! I realize several factors play a roll like weather, under brush and duration of use but how many of y'all really look for this sign and regularly find it ?
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

sasquatch1

I've never tried. I'm pretty sure where I hunt they rarely roost in same tree. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

On public land just look for flagging that lead to the tree, or here in ole MS. Beer cans stuck in trees is a sure sign you are close!

fallhnt

I have one spot where they roost Spring and Fall in the same area. Over the years I've had a few use the same tree but most of the time Easterns don't roost in the same spot every night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dejake

I'm trying to pattern a bird right now.  The last three times out, he's been in 3 different trees, granted, all within 100 yards of each other.  Very rarely will they roost in the same tree where I hunt.

bbcoach

Quote from: dejake on March 19, 2018, 04:10:35 AM
I'm trying to pattern a bird right now.  The last three times out, he's been in 3 different trees, granted, all within 100 yards of each other.  Very rarely will they roost in the same tree where I hunt.
This.  Once you find the area, then you have to figure out where they are going to fly down.  Most of the time, it will be into an open area they can see from the trees they are in.  Then set up close to that area.  Remember Roosted ain't Roasted.  If he has hens with him, it's a crap shoot of what he will do once he's on the ground.

Fullfan

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 18, 2018, 09:53:02 PM
On public land just look for flagging that lead to the tree, or here in ole MS. Beer cans stuck in trees is a sure sign you are close!

Funny about the beer cans, Hunt Missouri the Mark Twain has them hanging everywhere.
Don't gobble at me...

dublelung

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 18, 2018, 09:53:02 PM

:toothy12: :toothy12: that's the truth!

I don't think there's a benefit to finding his exact roost tree. As long as you're in the general vicinity he'll be able to fly to you. I'd look for a small opening near the roost site.

blake_08

I hunted a bird on some public land in west Oklahoma last year. On the 3rd morning i finally killed him and went to look at where he and the other turkeys were roosted and there was piles and piles of poop. I'm talking about piles 4-6" deep and about as big around as a trash can lid. Not only had they roosted in the same tree all 3 nights i had contact with them, it looked like they roosted on the same limb too. But, that's west oklahoma where there are very few trees. I've never found anything like that where i live with eastern birds.

GobbleNut

I agree with the idea that in areas that turkeys roost regularly, you will very often find evidence of that.  Finding scattered feathers on the ground, especially primary wing feathers, is usually a good indicator that birds have roosted in that area fairly regularly.  Find a traditional roost tree,...one where turkeys have roosted a lot over time,...and there will be obvious piles of droppings under the tree,...sometimes inches deep.

Now, this is typical of the dry climate I live in.  Weather/climate conditions in the region a person hunts plays a role in this, as well.  There is no doubt that an area with a consistent wet climate will have less evidence of long-term roosting due to the quicker deterioration of droppings and such. 

Even in ideal conditions though, it is often difficult to pinpoint specific roosts if the birds have a tendency to change roost trees,...even when they are roosting in the same general area a great deal.

TauntoHawk

If you can pick point them down to the tree you best protect that spot with your life, those are go to gold mines. If you have a tree that has so much noticable sign under it it's probably one they use year after year.

I will often save those spots for or the right day. A wet day I don't expect much gobbling being close to the roost is a big advantage and damp ground let's me slip in close. I don't over hunt them

There aren't a lot of them I have preferred roost sights where they might be or maybe often be but the garenteed they will be in those tree every morning unless something pressured them not to be are rare and fantastic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jblackburn

I did Friday morning after they gave me the slip off the roost. More of just a curiosity thing for me that day, just wanted to know if I had pinpointed the correct tree. I had. Biggest pine in the bottom.

I think the bigger benefit to finding crap under the trees is knowing that its an area turkeys like to be and are comfortable in.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

zelmo1

I have found up here in northern New England, the birds roost in the same area ,if not the same tree, quite often. This helps if you can find them. Concentration of birds is my biggest thing up here.

tha bugman

Knowing turkeys are in a general area (much like a scrape or rub for deer).  When I find a roost tree, I don't bet money on him being in that specific tree on any given morning, unless I see him fly up in it. :newmascot:

Ericbrooks

Finding where he wants to go after leaving his tree is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk