turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got My 870 Dipped - Question

Started by Gobble!, March 17, 2018, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Picked my gun up yesterday after having it dipped. Pretty darn happy with how it turned out.
Before and after picture included.

Heres where the question comes in. If you look at the before picture you will noticed some of the original camo got rubbed off the receiver. The forend slightly rubs the receiver when I pump it. Is there any reason I couldn't take some sand paper and try to take a little off the inside of the forend so it doesn't rub? Or is there a better option. Didn't know if this was a common thing with the shurshot forends.

Appreciate it,
Justin

kdfester

I would think you would be fine. I think the longer rear on the shurshot style fore end is mainly cosmetic and more of a grip area.  The older style fore ends seem shorter overall to me.

CrustyRusty

Looks great....yes you could sand it a bit.

diyj98

Shouldn't hurt a thing. Go for it.

1iagobblergetter

Looks great!! I have the exact same gun..Seems like on mine the paint wore off easily more from handling than the forend touching. I wouldn't think it would hurt to sand a little off. Any reason for removing the original forend?

Gobble!

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 17, 2018, 05:42:30 PM
Looks great!! I have the exact same gun..Seems like on mine the paint wore off easily more from handling than the forend touching. I wouldn't think it would hurt to sand a little off. Any reason for removing the original forend?

Simply liked the looks of the shurshot more.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Sanding won't hurt anything but you might be able to adjust it with the forarm nut. Is the gap on the opposite side excessive?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

county hunter

This happened to mine, too. I left it as is. Yes, you could smooth out the fore end inside to improve this. Love the new camo pattern - what a difference from before, after. Great move. Now you have me thinking I have to do something with mine......

Hersh

Awesome looking gun. I have the same gun. Noticed that the factory finish didn't hold up very well. Got mine dipped and it has held up much better.  Good luck with the turkey killer.

BINK McCARTY

What an AWESOME lookin gun!!!!! Is it MO Bottomland?

Gobble!

SOCOM304

Nice looking rig! Who did the dip?

yelpaholic

Dont lay it down anywhere you will lose that jewel... looks great

Turkeytaker203

I put a Sureshot stock and forearm on my 870 slug gun. Each time I cycled the gun, the forearm left white residue on the matte finish of the receiver. I tried sanding but in my case, the rubbing was a bit more than sanding could clean up so I used a Dremel tool and a large round grinding stone. Then CAREFULLY removed material from the forearm. The rubbing had left a line on the inside of the forearm and I used that as a pattern line. The large bit made curved grooves where the edge of the receiver ran. It turned out perfect and has excellent clearance. If your is as tight as mine was this may help but go slow and be careful.

Gobble!

Sanding did the job

Quote from: SOCOM304 on March 26, 2018, 06:09:08 PM
Nice looking rig! Who did the dip?

Down Range Weaponry in Grantsville MD