Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

work a bird start to finish with 1 call???

Started by adkmountainken, March 17, 2018, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

just curious how many locate, soft talk and work a bird start to finish with one call? i did MANY times when i was younger and didn't have a lot of money in calls like i do now. i used a Lohman model 870 for years and it was my ONLY call, start to finish. i am still very found of using longboxes but do use pot calls if i am striking out and almost always finish them he last few years with mouth call if need be.  i really think i can still use just one call but now that i have a rather decent supply of custom calls i enjoy using them. i really think i still only need to carry a good longbox as they are so versatile and you can get so many different turkey sounds out of it, especially a Watkins or a Snodgrass!

fallhnt

Me. My buddy owns Spoon River Turkey Calls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

daddyduke

First four years hunting turkeys, All one boxcall.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

1iagobblergetter

I enjoy hunting and calling with multiple calls,but call turkeys often just using one call. I think it boils down to how familiar a person is with the call they are using and also knowing what to say and when to say it.

silvestris

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If what I am using breaks down, then and only then will I try another caller.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

I do.  Usually use mouth calls 95% of the time.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hobbes

I'm typically start to finish with one mouth call.  I rarely even get a pot call out.  They've never been top of my list, although I killed my first tom quietly yelping on a cheap HS slate call to a tom before flydown.  I pull a box call out a lot more often than a pot call to try and strike one.  Even then I'd finish with the mouth call.

zelmo1

Usually just a mouth call, box or pot if I am calling for a friend

Gobble!

Most of the time the call that strikes them is the call that kills them.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gobble! on March 17, 2018, 03:40:41 PM

This is how I do it. If I strike him and he likes it I'm not switching.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ozarks Hillbilly

Funny story, A buddy of mine was trolling mid-morning several years ago trying to strike a bird. He was walking a two track stopping every so often and cutting on a glass pot call. He got a bird to answer him he got set up and said he got the old bird pretty fired up with his glass call and could tell the bird was headed his way. He always keeps a  mouth call in his mouth for hands free coaxing or to stop a bird for the shot if need be. The timber was pretty open and he could see the bird strutting about 100 yards away. looking back he says I am not sure what made me do it but he cut and yelped at the bird on that mouth call. He said the old bird came out of strut popped his head up as if to say HS Strut 2.5 and turned around and sprinted away. Apparently someone may have played him that tune before.

TauntoHawk

Almost always unless I'm running two at a time like box and mouth call I'll just start and finish with the same.

Scratch box alot of birds over the last few years in the north woods.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

Sometimes it depends if I'm calling for some one else or solo hunt... by myself I am running my slate and a mouth call, run them together so Tom hears the pair the whole time I'm working him, when it's getting close to shooting time the slate is down and I turn to soft clucks, purrs and yelps on the mouth call. Gun is in my hands and running camera keeps me busy. When I'm calling for someone else no issue and run all three right to the end.

MK M GOBL

Cut N Run

I hunted a few years with diaphragm only, just to see if I could do it, then slate only a few years, then long box only to improve my skill set on each type as I went.  It is impressive how well you can get a call to work if it's the only thing you've got with you. I'm still not a great caller, but with turkey hunting you only have one judge to fool.  I hunted with a single shot for 10 years for the exact same reason, call him in close, make the first shot count, and you don't need another.  Now I carry 3 diaphragms, a slate, a glass pot, a long box, and a SBE II every time I go.  I've had times where one of those calls worked when the others wouldn't. There's no sense in risking drawing a blank unnecessarily.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Gobble! on March 17, 2018, 03:40:41 PM

This. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.