OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roosting birds

Started by cbhunter15, March 16, 2018, 10:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phire Phite

^^^The last two posts.  Almost always slam the door of the truck when I get out, works like a charm, especially if they are close enough that you may have walked right on by or spooked them.  My Uncle and I have roosted a number of times with usually not much success, just to go in the morning and hear them going off. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: Phire Phite on March 18, 2018, 10:53:44 AM
^^^The last two posts.  Almost always slam the door of the truck when I get out, works like a charm, especially if they are close enough that you may have walked right on by or spooked them.  My Uncle and I have roosted a number of times with usually not much success, just to go in the morning and hear them going off. 

This brings up a very important point about "roosting".  It appears some folks interpret that to mean getting a gobbler to respond in the evening after flying up.  When I talk about "roosting", I am speaking about both evening and morning.  Those two time periods can sometimes be totally different in terms of how well locator call tactics will work.  Gobblers that you can't drag a peep out of in the evening often have a totally different attitude in the morning.

From my experience, using a locator call/loud sound properly to "shock" a gobbler into responding has ALWAYS worked everywhere I have hunted IN THE MORNING (and again, AT THE RIGHT TIME).  That has not always been the case in the evening, although in most places, it has been.  I have admittedly hunted a couple of places where evening roosting tactics with locator calls just didn't work.  Easterns, in particular, seem to be less likely to gobble in the evening than the other subspecies,...but there are places where even they will cooperate by responding to good locator tactics.