turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slicing the breast

Started by rifleman, March 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I cut the breast meat off and hand it over to The Boss Hen to do the rest.   :drool:

g8rvet

Quote from: tha bugman on March 19, 2018, 01:50:33 PM
I cut the breast meat off and hand it over to The Boss Hen to do the rest.   :drool:

You tha man! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Flathead

Quote from: rifleman on March 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM
This may sound dumb to some but in recent years I have given away any bird that I kill.  My wife and I are wanting to try some again.  My method:  I remove the breast and lay the breast on the cutting board lengthwise and cut across the width of the breast making slices about 1/2" thick.  Is that the correct way to cut in order to be cutting across the grain?  We then soak it in milk overnight, roll in flour, salt and pepper and she fries it for a very short time.  I have done it this a couple time and the meat is tough.  If that is correct, free bird for neighbors again.
The breast needs to be sliced more lengthwise to be acroos the grain.

OldSwamper

I'll throw in my opinion as well.  I cut finger strips across the grain, put in milk and franks hot sauce for few hours up to overnight (buttermilk is fine too but milks works as well), then drain, batter with chicken breader and fry it, but don't overdo it like others have already mentioned. 

here is a tip my dad taught me, works with fish too.  when turkey/fish starts to turn brown, squeeze a few pieces or press them against the side of the fryer.  if they fire up and start sizzling like crazy, still too much moisture in meat and not done.  as soon as you can press/squeeze them and that sizzle does not fire up, take them up 

Personally, I think a lot of it starts with the way you cut it up.  If you leave the clear fatty stuff on the outside of the breast and the few tendons within, you will run into tough pieces.  I am very liberal about trimming the meat and doing my best cut out the tendons (guess that is what they are). if you have pure meat not overcooked, it should be almost as tender as chicken. 

good luck

Illini Tom

trimming well is key, cut off the xtra fat and i use a sharp fillet knife to remove the tendon in each breast
i usually cut each half of the breast in half, which is enough for two. cut off the tip then continue slicing across the grain
we like it marinated in lawry's mesquite/lime and cooked on the grill. sear, flip once and dont overcook
my favorite way to cook it, if the wife isnt around, is slice and fry like chicken then make gravy

Johnnemily

Quote from: rifleman on March 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM
This may sound dumb to some but in recent years I have given away any bird that I kill.  My wife and I are wanting to try some again.  My method:  I remove the breast and lay the breast on the cutting board lengthwise and cut across the width of the breast making slices about 1/2" thick.  Is that the correct way to cut in order to be cutting across the grain?  We then soak it in milk overnight, roll in flour, salt and pepper and she fries it for a very short time.  I have done it this a couple time and the meat is tough.  If that is correct, free bird for neighbors again.

Across the grain yes with the grain and you'll never get it chewed up lol
#still hunting by the grace of god#

sixbird

I know everybody has their way but, to be honest, I've never had a tough piece except maybe the outer one (first one you cut off/feather side first cut).
I don't do anything elaborate in regard to soaking, etc., except soak in water overnight. Adding salt to the water might toughen it up some so I don't do that.
I cut it 1/4" thick fillets and pound it with a meat hammer, crack an egg or two and add a little milk. I dredge the fillets in the egg mixture and coat with plain bread crumbs and fry in olive oil.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon...Should be tender and tasty...