OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slicing the breast

Started by rifleman, March 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

Thanks Uncle Nicky for the answer to my question.

Gobspur

Hack it up anyway you want, doesnt matter.  You're overcooking it.  Seems like most people overcook wild game and it ruins it.  Brining helps too, as mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

I brine for 24 hours, minimum....usually 48.  And I leave it whole.  I cut it up just before cooking, and I usually cut across the grain.  The extended brining period seems to really help.

TauntoHawk

One way my family loves it is pulled turkey bbq in a crock pot

But for fried turkey it's good to cut in and take every single tendon strand out you can find then brine. Pound flat or hit with a meat hammer like you are trying to kill it again. Then coat how you want I prefer a light seasoned batter over breaded but don't matter and fry not to over cook and they are incredible. When I hunt way up North they dip em in fresh maple syrup

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: rifleman on March 17, 2018, 08:13:46 AM
Thanks Uncle Nicky for the answer to my question.
Just by the nature of what it is, it will be a little tougher than domestic turkey or chicken. I think you are slicing it right and the thickness sounds right, I would break it down with a meat hammer, and fry it on a medium high temperature, just enough to cook it through and get a little color, but you definitely don't want to over cook it.

MK M GOBL

If you have never used a Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer about $25 at wally world.

Work awesome to tenderize any meat

MK M GOBL

daddyduke

Turkey jerky is really good. I posted my recipe in recipe section.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

3bailey3

Sorry wild turkey is the most tender meat I have ever eaten,I cut it in no certain way but there is some silver lining not sure what is call but you need to cut it out, it runs the length of the breast, I soak in butter milk and creole butter for at least three days and I just try and squeeze it every night, also you can't add enough pepper! I just wish I was your neighbor and getting all that free turkey beast!

chadly

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 17, 2018, 04:23:06 PM
If you have never used a Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer about $25 at wally world.

Work awesome to tenderize any meat

MK M GOBL

The Bomb!  I use one all the time.  Deer, pheasant, and turkey all get the beat down with one.  Nothing better period.  Makes all the difference.  If you really want meat that is so tender you need to use a spoon to the get it out the the pot use a pressure cooker after the 48 blade beat down.  Never over cook wild game. 

g8rvet

get the sinew (shiny connective tissue) all off of it as best you can.  Then slice it any old way I want.  Fairly small pieces.  I vary the breading, but my family likes it best when I use pancake batter (wet), heavily peppered and generous salt.  Dunk it in the batter, roll it in some corn flakes and fry it up.  If I say I am doing it another way, they get mad at me.   I just fry it like fish, until it is done.  Pull it out and eat it warm.  The few I have grilled  needed tenderizing for sure. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 16, 2018, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: rifleman on March 16, 2018, 10:03:49 PM
Thanks to all.  But, are we cutting it the right way to be across the grain?  Thanks

I don't know if it matters with a turkey breast but A butcher friend of mine told me to always cut with the grain on any meat.
Never do that with corned beef, makes it hard to chew, it is one of the few meats you want to cut across the grain.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

I cut it "cross grain".  However I don't care for the turkey nugget thing.  Personally I smoke the breast whole or make fajitas. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

compton30

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 17, 2018, 02:40:07 PM
One way my family loves it is pulled turkey bbq in a crock pot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My wife and kids think they've eaten a lot of "pulled turkey bbq" that was actually wood chucks cooked the exact same way.

camotoe

Cross grain , you end up with a nice loaf of turkey . Wild turkey is tender nothing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch@fx4

If you cut with the grain you get long stringy meat great for jerky.cut across the grain for tender cutlets