OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slicing the breast

Started by rifleman, March 16, 2018, 09:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

This may sound dumb to some but in recent years I have given away any bird that I kill.  My wife and I are wanting to try some again.  My method:  I remove the breast and lay the breast on the cutting board lengthwise and cut across the width of the breast making slices about 1/2" thick.  Is that the correct way to cut in order to be cutting across the grain?  We then soak it in milk overnight, roll in flour, salt and pepper and she fries it for a very short time.  I have done it this a couple time and the meat is tough.  If that is correct, free bird for neighbors again.

WV Ridge Reaper

Never really sliced em a certain way,we just chunk/nugget ours..Usually a tap or two with the meat hammer..Never soaked in straight up milk,have done butter milk.But any more I soak it in hidden valley ranch for a day then flour and the seasonings you wish to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

here's another good one, take your breast and lay flat, slice 1/4" thick, soak in buttermilk over night, next day lay out slice and then take pepper jack cheese slice thin and layer on breast slice, next spread ranch over cheese. roll this up and the cross wrap with bacon, put it on grill and cook, last step I baste with a little bbq sauce. Now that's good!!

MK M GOBL

Kylongspur88

I usually just breast them out with a fillet knife on the tailgate at the farm after I check it in. I take the breast, legs, Spurs and beard. The yotes can have the rest. May take the fan if I know someone is looking for one.

At home I'll either cut it into nuggets or slow  bake a half breast in the oven. Skin the legs and let them sit in the fridge for a few days and use them for soup meat. I tried baking them but it was like chewing on leather.

rifleman

Thanks to all.  But, are we cutting it the right way to be across the grain?  Thanks

Kylongspur88

Quote from: rifleman on March 16, 2018, 10:03:49 PM
Thanks to all.  But, are we cutting it the right way to be across the grain?  Thanks

I don't know if it matters with a turkey breast but A butcher friend of mine told me to always cut with the grain on any meat.

fallhnt

Sounds like it's over cooked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

deerhunt1988

Brine it. Dissolve .25 cup salt and .25 cup sugar in water per breast.  Put breast in and let it sit overnight in fridge. Helps the meat retain moisuture and makes it less 'chewy'. I brine almost all of mine now after first trying it a few years ago.

gmbellew

i take the breast and cut the thin parts off to separate from thick. I'll slice the thick parts in half (like cutting a slice of Texas toast into two pieces of bread). i want pieces that are no thicker than half an inch. if desired, cut into sizes that will fit on a bun if you plan to eat on a sandwich. i then hit with the meat tenderizing mallet. season and fry like your favorite fried chicken recipe.  fry to internal temp of 165.

wings and legs I turn into soup in a Dutch oven or slow cooker. any chicken noodle soup recipe will do.

thighs I either cook in a dutch oven until tender and eat ovet noodles or grind and make chili, tacos, etc.

Bowguy

Quote from: fallhnt on March 16, 2018, 11:27:17 PM

Can't believe this answer took more than one post. It'd be my conclusion as well. Wild game is not full of saturated fat and shouldn't be cooked the same as domestic animals.
I know guys that soak in 7 up. They say it breaks down a bird and makes it soft.
I'd personally cut it real thin so it cooked quick. Barbecue it with sweet baby rays or red wine vinegrette til the meat turns from pink but do not over cook. The juices should run.
Tell my girl all the time. I already killed him, no need to kill em again. Turkey done right is one of the best meats. If it's tough it's not your cutting method. It's a cooking method

appalachianassassin

Quote from: Bowguy on March 17, 2018, 01:22:31 AM
Quote from: fallhnt on March 16, 2018, 11:27:17 PM

Can't believe this answer took more than one post. It'd be my conclusion as well. Wild game is not full of saturated fat and shouldn't be cooked the same as domestic animals.
I know guys that soak in 7 up. They say it breaks down a bird and makes it soft.
I'd personally cut it real thin so it cooked quick. Barbecue it with sweet baby rays or red wine vinegrette til the meat turns from pink but do not over cook. The juices should run.
Tell my girl all the time. I already killed him, no need to kill em again. Turkey done right is one of the best meats. If it's tough it's not your cutting method. It's a cooking method
yes sir......sounds plum burnt up too me. ive eaten aloooooooooooooooooooooooot of wild turkeys and every one was like chewing cotton candy.

Uncle Nicky

Yes, that is the right way to cut any type of meat for steaks or cutlets, across the grain. But what I think everyone else is saying is that for most preparations such as nuggets or chunks, it really doesn't matter. Hope this helps.

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 16, 2018, 10:06:26 PM

I don't know if it matters with a turkey breast but A butcher friend of mine told me to always cut with the grain on any meat.
I think he was referring to jerky.

kdfester

Anymore I just grind up into burger

cwaggg

Brine it overnight. I like to add a little fruit juice, citrus zest, and dry spices to my brine as well as sugar and salt. If you have a smoker put it in a pan with a couple sticks of butter, a couple of quartered onions, few celery hearts, a couple of course chopped carrots, and a couple of smashed garlic cloves. I lightly sprinkle with rub of choice. Then smoke with a mild wood usually cherry and white oak blend in a butter bath at 250-275 until it gets to 165. This also works in oven. I also always throw the heart in with the breast and cook it as well. The heart is the best part on the whole bird in my opinion.