OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7th Species of turkeys?

Started by Sir-diealot, March 15, 2018, 02:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I seem to remember reading in a magazine I think Turkey and Turkey Hunter, Turkey Call or maybe Bowhunter Magazine about a 7th species of Turkey

The ones I know.

Eastern
Osceola
Rio Grande
Merriam's
Gould's
And
South Mexican wild turkey

This one I can't recall I seem to remember them talking about it living in a tropical climate and that the male birds call sounded more like that of a pecock than that a male turkey. Does anybody have any clue what I am talking about? I have not found anything online about it and it is driving me nuts because I remember reading about it. It may not have been in the United States but I am unsure of that as well. I am heading back to bed but will look back at this when I get back in the afternoon. Thanks for any help.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

runngun

Oscellated???

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cwaggg

There are two species of wild turkey. Meleagris gallopavo and Meleagris (previously Agriocharis) ocellata (Ocellated). There are 6 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo that you listed.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: cwaggg on March 15, 2018, 03:17:45 AM
There are two species of wild turkey. Meleagris gallopavo and Meleagris (previously Agriocharis) ocellata (Ocellated). There are 6 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo that you listed.
From what I saw trying to figure this out on Wikki (Not the best I know) my understanding was that South Mexican and Meleagris gallopavo are the same, am I incorrect in my understanding? Also is ocellata (Ocellated) the same as Florida's Osceola? Also does the Meleagris gallopavo have that peacock sound I am thinking of? I am thinking I know the answer is no because I was watching Primos' TV show last night and they were in Mexico hunting and they sounded the same as any other turkey. Thank you for your reply by the way, not trying to argue, trying to understand and remember. My memory is not the best with my meds so perhaps I am remembering something wrong. Edit: I went and found a video and now see what you are saying, sorry for being so dense. It was indeed the Ocellated and no they are not the same as Florida's Osceola. Thanks again and here is a video of the Ocellated  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXibYdtoFhQ

Also above I listed Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande, Merriam's and Gould's as species, that was my mistake, I know better, they are sub-species of the Meleagris gallopavo as you pointed out. Can't believe I did that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: runngun on March 15, 2018, 02:54:53 AM
Oscellated???

I don't think so, that would be the same as they have in Florida right? Edit: You were correct, I went and found a video of them. Sorry for my mistake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380p6Qix7LM

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 15, 2018, 06:23:15 AM
Oscellated???

I don't think so, that would be the same as they have in Florida right? Edit: You were correct, I went and found a video of them. Sorry for my mistake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380p6Qix7LM

You are confusing the Osceola (Florida turkey) with the Ocelated (different species, found in Central America).  It is thought that there was another subspecies of Gallopavo (the turkey species native to North America) and that subspecies resided in Mexico.  That subspecies, if it indeed was a different one, has been extinct for some time.

There are five recognized (living) subspecies of our North American wild turkey, which you listed.  However, genetic studies done back in the 1980's, I believe, showed that the Eastern and Osceola subspecies were so close genetically that it was questionable whether the Osceola should be considered to be a separate subspecies.  I think that debate kind of faded away because nobody wanted to open that can of worms. 

Although the Ocelated turkey is considered to be a member of the turkey family in terms of general appearance, as far as hunters (and hunting) are concerned, it might as well considered a totally separate bird altogether.  It has very few characteristics that would logically lump it in with the North American species.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

davisd9

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 15, 2018, 08:10:44 AM
However, genetic studies done back in the 1980's, I believe, showed that the Eastern and Osceola subspecies were so close genetically that it was questionable whether the Osceola should be considered to be a separate subspecies.  I think that debate kind of faded away because nobody wanted to open that can of worms. 

The only difference in the two is the amount of money that can be asked for one over the other.  Eventually all of Florida will have "pure Osceola" turkeys.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleNut

Quote from: davisd9 on March 15, 2018, 08:46:44 AM
However, genetic studies done back in the 1980's, I believe, showed that the Eastern and Osceola subspecies were so close genetically that it was questionable whether the Osceola should be considered to be a separate subspecies.  I think that debate kind of faded away because nobody wanted to open that can of worms. 

The only difference in the two is the amount of money that can be asked for one over the other.  Eventually all of Florida will have "pure Osceola" turkeys.

:TooFunny:  How true!  I wonder what the difference in hunting fees is for the guy that has property just north of that imaginary line as compared to the guy just south of that line?  The birds they are hunting are probably from the same flock, but if they cross that line, they are suddenly worth a lot more (apparently).   :toothy12:

kjnengr

Quote from: daddyduke on March 15, 2018, 08:22:06 AM
Butterball?

Those farm birds certainly act like a whole 'nother animal.   :toothy9:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 15, 2018, 06:23:15 AM
Oscellated???

You are confusing the Osceola (Florida turkey) with the Ocelated (different species, found in Central America).  It is thought that there was another subspecies of Gallopavo (the turkey species native to North America) and that subspecies resided in Mexico.  That subspecies, if it indeed was a different one, has been extinct for some time.

There are five recognized (living) subspecies of our North American wild turkey, which you listed.  However, genetic studies done back in the 1980's, I believe, showed that the Eastern and Osceola subspecies were so close genetically that it was questionable whether the Osceola should be considered to be a separate subspecies.  I think that debate kind of faded away because nobody wanted to open that can of worms. 

Although the Ocelated turkey is considered to be a member of the turkey family in terms of general appearance, as far as hunters (and hunting) are concerned, it might as well considered a totally separate bird altogether.  It has very few characteristics that would logically lump it in with the North American species.
Yes I was confusing the two (Ocelated and Osceola) thinking they were the same. Thank you very much for your replies and setting me straight. I did post a link showing the Ocelated and I believe that has to be the one I was thinking of as it looks and sounds much like a peacock.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Ross R

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 15, 2018, 09:07:30 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on March 15, 2018, 08:46:44 AM

:TooFunny:  How true!  I wonder what the difference in hunting fees is for the guy that has property just north of that imaginary line as compared to the guy just south of that line?  The birds they are hunting are probably from the same flock, but if they cross that line, they are suddenly worth a lot more (apparently).   :toothy12:

I am biased but Osceola to me is south of SR 70.

Gobspur

The 7th species you might be thinking of could be the BodonkaDeke.  Not sure where its indigenous too though...have to ask guesswho as he's the expert ;D

High plains drifter

One time I shot a really strange bird, had kind of a white head. I don't think he could fly.strange.