turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What’s a good pump turkey shotgun???

Started by drywallerdave, March 13, 2018, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I suggest Ithaca for better quality. The barrel being most solidly attached to the receiver for use with an optical sight is a plus.

penna shooter

Remington 870 and or a Winchester model 1300....my turkey model 1300 is a under-rated turkey killer....But, a older 870 never miss a beat....Both are SOLID
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

mspaci

I handled them all 3 years ago when I wanted a pump, the Ithaca was the nicest & smoothest, best fit & finish. Great balance, light. Its only 3 inch but I havent felt I need more. I was shooting 10 ga 3.5 in before. Mike

dswmsn

I still use a Mossberg 835 bought in 1991. I have never had any problems with it. The receiver is drilled & tapped for scope mounts, but I use a B-Square camo saddle mount with a Leupold Vari-X 11 1x4 variable scope. The saddle mount allows me to either use the scope or the Tru-Glo Gobbler Dot fiber optic sights. The recoil from 3 1/2" shells rattles your teeth when patterning for your best shells, but I have added a slip-on Sims Recoil Pad to lessen the recoil. The shotgun is Mossberg camo and the scope, sling and saddle mount are all in Realtree Hardwoods Green. I would not trade this gun for anything new, because it still continues to do the job and all told I only have about $450 in it.

old3toe

I vote for the 835 as well. Time tested an proven to be one of the best. Nothing wrong with the 870's either or 1300's, or ithacas, bps's!!! Heck I like em all!!!lol The nova would be great if they'd shed some weight off of them. Got tired of lugging mine around but it would shoot some nice patterns with a kicks choke.

southern_leo

870 for easy of use and reliability. Also easy to find chokes for it and other accessories

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

chefrific

I have a benelli supernova, but like a lot of the benellis I read about mine too had an issue with not hitting at the point of aim.  I had to add adjustable sights to correct the problem. 
After that, It's great but I sure do miss my older model Rem 870!

If I had to buy again, it would NOT be a benelli.

Seriously considering a Mossberg youth 500 20ga

zelmo1

Ozarkoutfitter8

Shot a model 12 for years with 2 3/4 shells. Found a BPS magnum for a good price and i've been shooting it for the past 4 years and have zero complaints. Reliable, patterns good, but can be a little on the heavy side on those long running an gunning days.

Buckeye_Strutter_935

835 is a great patterning  gun one of the best out there
Feathers Fear Me

appalachianassassin

FL-Boss

Any of you guys know anything about this Stevens 320 Turkey pump?  I looks good.. dirt cheap and built on the Win 1300 platform - which IMO is one of the best.  Gun is made in China though..

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/5/10/review-stevens-model-320-turkey-shotgun/

Hootin-N-Hammer

For you 870 lovers, I have a 90's model 870 that I would love to hunt with but the fore-end rattles and wiggles pretty bad. Do any of you have this issue or know hot to fix it?

hobbes

Dang near any pump that will accept screw in chokes can be turned into a turkey killing machine.  However, not all of them will be masintenance free.  In general, you don't shoot enough rounds through a dedicated turkey gun to ever wear the thing out.  Its waterfowl, upland, and dove that will put a gun to the test (waterfowling is especially hard on a gun).

Ive been a remington guy for the most part.  Ive had a couple 870 Expresses that I bought in the early 90s and an inexpensive 1187 Sportsman bought used a few years ago that have required very minimal attention, but my brother has owned a couple 870s bought in the last 10 yrs or so that caused him to say never again.  He and my father both owned Mossys (835 and 935) for turkey back in the late 90s that shot awesome when they werent jamming machines.  They gave up on both guns and got rid of them.  The factory took for ever locating my brother's gun and finally returned it with exact same jamming problem after "repairs".

High plains drifter

I've been using a little 20 guage 11 87 field gun. Modified choke.Its great out to 35 yards.It doesn't make much noise, and it's light. Of course I have an old 870 12 guage,A-5 magnum 12 guage, a-5 magnum 20 guage, Ithica sues by side ect.