OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call Sound

Started by bbcoach, March 13, 2018, 11:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Some of you have got me thinking.  We are always talking about pot calls and how they sound.  My question is this, and I'll probably get ALL, but what makes a GREAT pot call sound TERRIFIC?  So many surfaces, sound board options, woods and striker combos to choose from.  We each have a different ear and so do the birds but what SAY you!  Call makers, what are you striving to achieve?

southern_leo

It's more about the internals than anything. Of course the surface, sound board, wood, and striker have influence, the internals is the meat and potatoes of a call. You know as soon as you run a striker on a call if it has "it". The best way I can't describe is your high end call built right have that ear thump to them where you feel the sound. Once you get to that point you know your on track. Then each call maker has their own sound they go for. I think that answers your question, not sure lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 13, 2018, 11:48:22 AM
I want a pot that can be play very soft but still roll over, but can get loud and still sound great. I really like glass over slates.
x2 for Playing soft with a rollover, but can also get loud. Once you've played enough different pots, just as Leo said, you'll know when it has "it".

M,Yingling

as mentioned the  few important things for me is a call thats easy to achieve roll over  when run loud or soft  i do lots videos and like to show that when that striker is barley moving and hear but still has it  and i like build raspy calls. For me i find that calls that are cleaner high pitched its hard get any rasp from them  but a raspy call get the outer edge and they will run clear ,, as for sound boards its easier to get different tones from  a certain surface  sound board combo ,, like u said we all have different ear so one person may like one combo and another person something different ,,strikers lot guys get caught up in strikers me i dont if u got good built calls their going to run from outer edge to center get different sounds ,,,, 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

EZ

It's the Indian as much as the arrow, but the arrow must be very good.

bbcoach

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 13, 2018, 12:16:52 PM
as mentioned the  few important things for me is a call thats easy to achieve roll over  when run loud or soft  i do lots videos and like to show that when that striker is barley moving and hear but still has it  and i like build raspy calls. For me i find that calls that are cleaner high pitched its hard get any rasp from them  but a raspy call get the outer edge and they will run clear ,, as for sound boards its easier to get different tones from  a certain surface  sound board combo ,, like u said we all have different ear so one person may like one combo and another person something different ,,strikers lot guys get caught up in strikers me i dont if u got good built calls their going to run from outer edge to center get different sounds ,,,,
Thanks Mike.  Keep it coming call makers.

Ol timer

Well every call will sound different with various combinations but first it must be easy to run, it should not sound like fingers scratching a blackboard, most important the turkeys will tell you if its a good sounding pot.

MK M GOBL

It's all about "that" sound, I go in light and carry 2 pot calls... A slate and a glass and 5-6 strikers. I am running the slate call all the time and my glass call comes out when it seems like I have tried everything else... 90% of the birds I/we have taken have been with that slate call and it has "that" sound!! I have killed a few with another call or here and there and not to say I don't mix in calls from my mouth calls, even a box every once in a while. When I first bought my call it was based just on sound alone, I was not any sort of expert at the time and just was amazed at the sound this call was making, having heard only "production" calls at the time back then. As my skills grew so did my success, I haven't had a great deal of many other pot calls, some for collecting purposes and others as gifts. Guess I never needed to search for a better call... I have always said I pick performance over pretty. And yes this is my CODY World Class Slate Call.

MK M GOBL

mossyhorn2

I think Mike is right about a " good call sounds good with any striker". With that being said I built a slate call once and  just couldn't find a striker that it liked. After avoiding this call for several months I decided to try one more striker and then tear it apart. That striker was a black cherry and boy did it make that call sing. I have killed more turkeys with that call than all my other calls. So I think sometimes you can find that "it" factor in a striker, although a call that rolls over easy with any striker is what we all strive for. As for sound I usually like a call that is raspy on the back end, but some days those turkeys seem to like a clear yelp. Thats why we need 100's of calls. lol

outdoors

IVE BEEN TRYING AND TRYING AND TRYING TO MAKE A 3" call just not the way I want so I turned too a 3 1/4" I was getting really close and the last one I turned is a walnut slate / glass and everys striker I have DID NOT SOUND GOOD except this two PEICE DIMANDWOOD with a maple top
With this one striker is everything you would want , I'm taking it hunting with me on the 17 th
I have a quote for the first two days and I'll see if I gets good response........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M,Yingling

Quote from: outdoors on March 13, 2018, 08:51:44 PM
IVE BEEN TRYING AND TRYING AND TRYING TO MAKE A 3" call just not the way I want so I turned too a 3 1/4" I was getting really close and the last one I turned is a walnut slate / glass and everys striker I have DID NOT SOUND GOOD except this two PEICE DIMANDWOOD with a maple top
With this one striker is everything you would want , I'm taking it hunting with me on the 17 th
I have a quote for the first two days and I'll see if I gets good response........

Didnt know u made calls Keith,,, when your ready sale one hit me up     
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
My YouTube

outdoors

I've been trying for along time,  I'm slowly getting there
If you knew my situation.  No shop just a shed stored all my equipment  when I have a good day off from work.  I drag out the lathe and go too work
IM GETTING THERE MY FRIEND
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

southern_leo

Quote from: outdoors on March 13, 2018, 09:22:42 PM
If you knew my situation.  No shop just a shed stored all my equipment  when I have a good day off from work.  I drag out the lathe and go too work
I try to take over my garage, but have to clean up after to keep the wife happy. She doesn't like parking outside. So I feel your pain having to set up. I built a work bench with all my equipment on it. I attached a power strip to one end and that way I only need to plug in one outlet and it's easy to clean up. Just an idea that may help you some. Good luck

M,Yingling

Quote from: southern_leo on March 13, 2018, 10:55:05 PM
Quote from: outdoors on March 13, 2018, 09:22:42 PM
I try to take over my garage, but have to clean up after to keep the wife happy. She doesn't like parking outside. So I feel your pain having to set up. I built a work bench with all my equipment on it. I attached a power strip to one end and that way I only need to plug in one outlet and it's easy to clean up. Just an idea that may help you some. Good luck

LOL  iam same way cant have wife park outside.  I got fold out tables attached to wall pull tools from corner do what iam doing clean up put tools away  park car back inside  Ha 
My YouTube

mspaci

My wife parks outside, so it just makes more room for everyone to put junk, I have to move it all every time I want to make calls. The car would be easier. lol Mike