OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What call do you start out with?

Started by BottomLand54, March 13, 2018, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

Ok guys got a question.

What type of call do you start out with in the morning?

Located such as an owl or crow?

Or do you set up and start out listening and then use a diaphragm, friction, or
Air driven call?

I normally set up and listen and then if I hear a bird I see how far he is away and normally start out with a pot call normally a slate over glass soft talker, I hardly ever use any type of locator call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Keep it simple....

A hat or wing that can mimick a fly down, and some super soft yelps from either my diaphragm or a slate call. Less is more off fly down, but just as TJ said, as soon as you know they're going the other direction get aggressive. Do another fly down wing beat, cackle, aggressive purrs and some sassy snappy yelps, then get quiet.

Spitten and drummen

I dont do anything most of the time. I will let the owls around me start up and I will let the gobblers start on their own. get in tight and use a wing for a fly down followed by a couple of soft yelps and a cluck. Then I let the bird tell me what he wants. As far as calls , I use every type from a trumpet to a box . I will use what ever I am feeling  that morning. I dont like to throw all my calls at him in one day. I constantly change types from day to day and I am constantly changing calls out in my vest all season long. If  I have a particular call that the birds in the area respond to well , that call stays in my vest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

daddyduke

A couple of yelps on box call for me.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Uncle Nicky

I may try an owl call if I am going in completely cold, but most of the time I just wait until the toms start gobbling first, and make a plan from there. Once I get in close enough, I'll sit down for about 10 minutes and let things settle down, and then maybe let out a few quiet hen putts & clucks just to let them know I'm there, and then I shut up until they are on the ground.

GobbleNut

First, Locator call use:  This depends on the situation.  If you already know where a gobbler is roosted and/ or you are hunting a small property that you would be able to hear any gobbler that is on that property, there is no reason to use a locator.  If you don't know where a gobbler is, and you are hunting a large area that may have widely scattered gobblers, it is best to use a locator to find one of them before starting your hunt.

Calling: 
Roosted birds---
If you call at all, wait until a) you either hear hens starting to tree call, or 2) you think it is time for the gobbler to fly down.  Call sparingly with "soft stuff"...yelps and/or clucks.  Combine your calling with other natural turkey sounds,...a good tactic:  at fly-down time, replicate the wing beats of a turkey flying out of the tree, wait a few seconds and then do more wing flapping to replicate hen "adjusting" her feathers after hitting the ground combined with a little "leaf litter" noise,  and follow up with a series of soft/medium yelps. (Note: if the gobbler has hens, you want to be the first one on the ground so he will be encouraged to fly down close by)

here's a summation from my perspective about roosted birds...(put this on another site a while back)
Setting up improperly on a roosted gobbler is bad
Calling too early to a roosted gobbler is bad.
Calling too early and too much to a roosted gobbler is really bad.
Calling from a bad set-up, too early, and too much is really, really bad.
Calling at the right time, but too much is usually bad.
Calling at the right time and the right amount can be good.
Calling at the right time, the right amount, and in combination with other natural turkey sounds can be really good.
If you are not good at judging any of the above, wait 'til he flies down.
Even if you are really good at judging all of the above, if you are on the wrong gobbler, you will still lose anyway.
Even if you are really bad at judging all of the above, if you are on the right gobbler, you may still win anyway.

Calling to "on the ground" gobblers...
Take your time, take their temperature, adjust your calling according to the situation (henned-up gobblers, lone gobbler, multiple lone gobblers)
Note:  "multiple lone gobblers"...smile, you are probably "in business"    ;D :icon_thumright:

Gobspur

Like Gobblenut said, if you already know where bird is roosted, no reason for locator call.  Get in early and close as possible in the complete darkness.  Then I wait till he flys down to start light calling - cluck, few yelps, leaf scatching.  Remember if your able to get close to his tree, and you call while he's still in the tree, there's a good chance he can see exactly where you're at.

Going in cold and not knowing where one is roosted, I use to just wait and let the birds start gobbling.  But often, I would find that I would hear a bird gobble say 300 or 400 yards away, and by then its starting to get a little light.  So at that point I'd be trying to close distance and because it was already getting a little light, it prohibited getting as close as possible.  So now I at least try an owl call going in cold, right before that first light starts cracking, in hopes that will draw out a gobble and give me a little more time to get closer.  If I can, same thing I wait till he hits the ground to call.  When I'm not able to get in real tight on a bird, I may do some light tree calling right around fly down time.  This is just what seems to work for me.

Meadow Valley Man

I never use a locator call.  I'm looking for the bird that is feeling his oats and gobbles well on his own.  If I hear multiple gobblers in different locations, I will go to the one gobbling the most--even if it is the one most distant.  I'll get as close as I possibly can without spooking him and set up. I listen for hen talk, and if there is, I'll try to be the first hen on the ground.

So much of the hunt is personal preference--what gives you the most enjoyment. And if it doesn't work out, and it frequently doesn't, you get to keep hunting. I have some of my best luck in the mid to late morning.

More important than the calling is to first set up properly, and by that I mean close to the bird. When I used to do clinics I'd have people tell me about last year's hunt, when their gobbler was gobbling good but he just wouldn't come.  When asked how far away the bird was, I'd get answers like " a quarter mile," or "200 yards." I feel I need to get close to any gobbling bird, and yes, I have boogered my share of gobblers.

Styles of hunting play into this too. If you are a blind and decoy hunter, you may not be able to get close. I am lucky that even in my mid 60's I am still mobile and can go to the bird.

I guess my main point is to have fun, play the game you want to play, and don't be afraid to screw up. Some of the screw ups are the hunts you'll remember the longest.

GobbleNut

Good points made. 

Quote from: Gobspur on March 13, 2018, 09:43:11 AM
Going in cold and not knowing where one is roosted, I use to just wait and let the birds start gobbling.  But often, I would find that I would hear a bird gobble say 300 or 400 yards away, and by then its starting to get a little light.  So at that point I'd be trying to close distance and because it was already getting a little light, it prohibited getting as close as possible.  So now I at least try an owl call going in cold, right before that first light starts cracking, in hopes that will draw out a gobble and give me a little more time to get closer.  If I can, same thing I wait till he hits the ground to call.  When I'm not able to get in real tight on a bird, I may do some light tree calling right around fly down time.  This is just what seems to work for me.

Agree totally.  If it starts getting light and that bird has not gobbled so I can confirm exactly where he is, I am going to make him gobble so I can get to him while it is still dark, if at all possible. 

Another word of advice to those who try to approach closely to a roosted bird.  Always choose an approach and then your set-up such that you have a tree or screen of brush between you and the bird.  Under no circumstances do you want to have a direct line-of-sight between you and the gobbler.  Too many bad things can happen.

ARjtk

I generally owl to start making my way towards a turkey unless I'm running late and they are already gobbling when I get out of the truck.

guesswho

I just listen.   Some days it may be 10 o'clock before I make the first call.  All depends on what's going on.  Usually that first call is on a Trumpet style call or a Diaphragm. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ilbucksndux

I always want to be in the woods before they start to gobble. I always go to the closest or easiest one to get to. I want to get as close as I dare then go 30 more feet. I dont make a sound till he is on the ground. Then its a soft easy call then do what he wants to hear.
Gary Bartlow

howl

I've seen birds shut down at a crow or owl. Let the hot birds ID themselves. Let them fly down before calling. Keep it low. Real turkey volume is less than most people call.

And if you're not within 200 yards, you might as well be on the moon. I've pulled them in on a string from a quarter mile, but the odds are so low I won't try if I have another option.

appalachianassassin

whichever call I kill the first bird of the year with is usually my go to call for the year.

stinkpickle

If I'm in tight with a talkative roost, tree yelps on a purr pot are fun.