turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One tactic in your bag of tricks...

Started by paboxcall, March 12, 2018, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Remember what my dad always says , shoot early and often, see you soon john, lets get after them this year!!

potter

Remember what my dad always says , shoot early and often, see you soon john, lets get after them this year!!

paboxcall

Quote from: potter on March 12, 2018, 10:01:32 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Can't wait! Tell Pap I said hello!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WV Ridge Reaper

I like to use the ol Mohican sneak and peak every once in a spring moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Carry a turkey wing.  I've killed more birds with a "calless" fly down than by making a bunch of racket at daylight.  Just wings and a single series of yelps after the "flydown"
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SinGin

Quote from: tha bugman on March 12, 2018, 04:17:15 PM
McCleb family secret

That does work but you really have to trust your hunting partner that's doing the shooting.

Sixes

Hunt on property with a lot of birds!

If you have time, set up so that when the bird appears, he is already in the kill zone. Set up on a rise that they have to get up on top to see, or hunt a roadbed at a curve where they have to come around to see, but either way, make sure they are in range when they do make an appearance

zelmo1

If they hang up with a hen/hens, piss off the boss hen and hold on  :z-flirtysmile3:

captpete

If using a decoy, position the decoy so it is facing away from the direction the Tom is coming. If he thinks "she" can see him, chances are he will hang up out of range.

greencop01

Quote from: J_mill on March 12, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
The most important lesson I learned was to call soft and sparingly. Used with scratching of the leaves can be a deadly combo.
My success rate went up when I do this. And when you want to leave use the 20 minute and wait 20 more minutes before you do leave.   :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Bolandstrutters

Get in the woods EARLY!  Nothing works to your advantage more in the turkey woods then complete darkness.  Slip into where you think you need to be in the complete dark and then you still have time to make little moves if you need to.  Much easier then trying to get set up on a roosted bird and it being too light to get anywhere near him.  And on hung up birds, don't be afraid to work towards him if the terrain allows it.  Also, you don't need to be sitting to kill turkeys.  Standing behind giant oaks works just fine. 

aaron

In most scenarios you can get a lot closer than you think you can.   I hunt the Appalachian foothills of Ohio, and you can use the terrain to get right on top of birds.  The closer you are, you're odds go way up

perrytrails

This is something that's worked several times for me.

Bird hits the ground going in the opposite direction??

Get up and move to his roost tree or roost area as fast as possible. Sit down and call.
I've seen birds turn around and come straight to ya.

They think that hen made it to him after he left. Adds realism and something different to that pressured bird.

boone5252

Has anyone tried using Knight and Hale's fighting purr calls soon after the gobbler flies down and starts heading away from you---to try and bring him back ??

ilbucksndux

When you know he is coming.....shut up.

NEVER call when out in the open. If I want to call I always make sure Im beside a tree that can hide me.

You dont always have to sit.

Try and get closer.If I strike one I like to atleast close half the distance.
Gary Bartlow