turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One tactic in your bag of tricks...

Started by paboxcall, March 12, 2018, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saverx

Kee kee run can be very effective in making a hung up turkey break. Also a great locator call.

g8rvet

Patience.  Toms work on turkey time, not mine. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Don't leave your turkey hunting grounds at 9:30 to go get gravy and biscuits , carry you some snacks and sandwich...

Boilermaker

Quote from: g8rvet on March 12, 2018, 07:07:05 PM
Patience.  Toms work on turkey time, not mine.
Hunting turkeys will definitely teach you patience!  You gotta put in your time and work for it!!  Just when you can't stand to sit any longer, wait another 30 mins. 

Happy

Never give up and never panic. More birds live another day because people are in to big of a hurry. There is a time for speed but most of the time we are moving way to fast and disturbing way more than we realize. Also learn to not let a busted hunt ruin your experience. Most of us look forward to this time of year more than any other. Soak it all up and appreciate it. It's a whole Nother year till we get to do it again.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

High plains drifter

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 12, 2018, 06:26:14 PM
Call and go away from him calling every so often . Make your last call about a 100 yards away from where you started him. Tone the last call way down like you are a hen walking out of his hearing. Then quickly get back to where you started him from and don't make a peep. May take a while but usually he shows up eventually. This requires a lot of patience but is very effective.
that's pretty good.i like that.

High plains drifter

Don't walk in the open, when it's light.

Kylongspur88

Just go with the flow. The first ten years I hunted I was busy trying to make it happen versus going with the flow and letting it happen if that makes any sense...

guesswho

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 12, 2018, 07:55:58 PM
Just go with the flow. The first ten years I hunted I was busy trying to make it happen versus going with the flow and letting it happen if that makes any sense...
Also known as let him kill himself.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

akp

Call less and give it another half hour when I really want to move....

renegade19

Quote from: paboxcall on March 12, 2018, 02:48:07 PM
Curious....What one tactic in your bag of spring turkey tricks you learned from a mentor or through hard-earned experience seems to produce or at least shift odds your way?

Me, learned a long time ago if I strike a bird re-positioning forward, or if terrain dictates moving parallel of his position before calling again adds a layer of realism to the situation, vs. standing my ground and calling from the same spot.

:fud:                           :OGani:

My post was going to be the same as yours.  Move and try again.  I've had great success utilizing this tactic.

fallhnt

HECS suit and fanning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

sevetts

If I go a couple days and nothing wants to work then i take a day and commit to not yelping. If you want to try something that is really hard as a hunter but really kills turkeys, work birds without yelping at them. There are days when you can yelp birds right in, but there's a whole lot more days that you can't! I think the secrets most people's grandads would tell them will always be the biggest secrets and the hardest secrets to use. Don't call so much, don't call so loud, and wait longer than you think you should.

M,Yingling

ill run 2 different pot calls normally a copper and crystal maybe throw a gobble or 4 in with it 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Number17

Get a full size binocular on a Rick Young harness and learn how to use them.

It's not just for field hunting either. I can't tell you how many times I've spotted the tips of a full fan through the woods. If I wasn't glassing ahead of myself, I for sure would have boogered the majority of those birds.
When they are not gobbling, spot them first, get a direction on where you think they are headed, and make a BIG fast loop around them using terrain to your advantage. Once you are out ahead of them, sit down, give a few soft calls, and sit frickin' still.

Lots of guys say they won't shoot a bird unless it's coming in gobbling to their calls. I'll tell you this for a fact........on high pressured birds like I hunt, the longest hooks have come from silent birds.
If they don't want to gobble.......I hunt them down and kill them for not cooperating.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls