turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One tactic in your bag of tricks...

Started by paboxcall, March 12, 2018, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Curious....What one tactic in your bag of spring turkey tricks you learned from a mentor or through hard-earned experience seems to produce or at least shift odds your way?

Me, learned a long time ago if I strike a bird re-positioning forward, or if terrain dictates moving parallel of his position before calling again adds a layer of realism to the situation, vs. standing my ground and calling from the same spot.

:fud:                           :OGani:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

J_mill

The most important lesson I learned was to call soft and sparingly. Used with scratching of the leaves can be a deadly combo.

Bill Cooksey

Success ration went way up when I realized you didn't have to sit down to kill a turkey. Kneeling or standing can turn a bad setup into the perfect spot to kill a turkey.

tha bugman

TauntoHawk

I learned you can get a lot closer then you might think while they are still in the roost especially if there's leaf cover on the trees.

When I was green I'd hear a bird gobble and start looking for a tree to sit at with no more thought then that's where I was and the bird was over there and we can hear each other. My mentor would always turn around and say we can get a lot closer then this come on we got time he's just going to sit there and do his thing. I'd worry we were going to ruin the hunt before it started but he'd punch us right inside that birds bubble or shift to the side or completely around the bird to be in the right spot.

He put is right in the landing zone time after time and I can only think of once where we blew a bird off the limb and it wasn't all of them so we still killed that morning.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

daddyduke

When you think he's not coming, Wait a little longer.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

southern_leo

Don't rely on decoys, especially for run and gun on public land. It's more about good calling and timing. They are excellent locators, chances are if your in the woods you don't need decoys.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Patience's don't move so fast....Stay in the cover of the shade as much as possible during your setup...

dutch@fx4

If you are near the birds when Thu fly down but show no intrest and go the other way .You had better get loud and act like a bunch of turkeys fighting. This can bring the boss hen back with the whole group following her. I have done this a few times with success.. loud cutting and yelping along with lots of noise scratching the leaves.. get aggressive

dzsmith

make the turkey hunt you. if you can see forever, then he can you from forever away. call loud and often unless you have a specific reason not to. what I mean by that is call as loud as necessary for a turkey to hear you. if you don't know whats there don't be afraid to call loud and often.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Spitten and drummen

Call and go away from him calling every so often . Make your last call about a 100 yards away from where you started him. Tone the last call way down like you are a hen walking out of his hearing. Then quickly get back to where you started him from and don't make a peep. May take a while but usually he shows up eventually. This requires a lot of patience but is very effective.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Dtrkyman

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on March 12, 2018, 04:09:52 PM
Success ration went way up when I realized you didn't have to sit down to kill a turkey. Kneeling or standing can turn a bad setup into the perfect spot to kill a turkey.

A friend of mine always complained about birds in range just over a rise in some steep ground he hunted, I told him to stand up which he never did, I killed three birds on that property standing against a large tree that I would have never shot otherwise!

stinkpickle

When things seem dead, I set up in a spot that has produced in the past, toss out a few calls, and take a nap...