turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can You?

Started by guesswho, March 12, 2018, 12:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Can you look at your beard and antler collection and remember the hunt that each one goes with?  Naturally beards are a tougher challenge.   I can still place the antlers with the hunt but some of the beards have long ago blended together.   I can still remember each multibeard and a lot of the singles, but some I just can't recall anymore.  I wish I had kept a journal and maybe marked a number on each one.  But back in the day I was more concerned with the next one than the memory of the last one.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

I have the same problem with fans.

appalachianassassin

i can remember antlers fine, I typically don't keep turkey beards. im much like your younger self, too focused on the next to worry about the last.

Happy

Not really to be honest. I don't have all the beards or spurs from the birds I have killed so that doesn't help. I can Remember birds from certain areas and I Remember a lot of the birds I helped others kill. I used to never keep spurs ad only have maybe 5 fans. I just give those away to people that fly tie or paint them. I should have dated the beards but to late now.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

Antlers are far more distinguishable plus I have less racks as I've never kill more than 2 whitetails in a season but turkeys I've shot as many as 5 in a spring. I can remember most all the hunts in detail just couldn't tie beard spurs and memories together unless there's something unique about them to recognize.

I try and get good pictures with turkeys where deer I don't always have a good picture but I have the rack and I as I euro every deer unless it's getting shoulder mounted

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rzrbac

Sure can't. Most of my beards were destroyed by mice in my shop. I lost some totes with antlers during a move about 10 years ago. It's a shame for the longest I could recall the details of many of my hunts but now not so much.  I still remember plenty though and I'm thankful for them all whether I killed or not. I think it has dawned on me that I likely have went on more hunts than I have left so I enjoy them all to their fullest.

GobbleNut

I can.....Not!  Of course, I can't remember what happened yesterday....
Now, what was the question again?....  :toothy12:

guesswho

You can't even remember you have already replied to this thread five times.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

djrcm7

I started writing a small reminder of the story for each bird on a note card and sticking it with the fan/beard on the back.
Med student from MO

davisd9

Started a photo journal and it helps.  I used to be able to remember them all with about every detail, not so much anymore.  I started the journal as I figure one day I may not be able to go anymore and I will at least be able to relive it or my boys will have something to remember me by.  I remember most deer when I see the antlers, but there are fewer of them to remember.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Treerooster

Antlers yes. Beards...no for the most part. I can remember a few though.

But that's why I like to take pics. I don't take a pic of every gobbler I kill, but I do take a lot of pics of gobblers I've got, and many other things when I am hunting.

I can remember the hunt and how it unfolded from almost every picture I have of a gobbler.

Like this one.

guesswho

I think a band might even trigger my memory :icon_thumright: :laugh:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

No

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

daddyduke

Take a child hunting and they will remember for you.  :icon_thumright:
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

tha bugman

Unfortunately most of mine are not labeled and cannot remember them.  I DO however have a vast catalog of those that got away.... :TooFunny: