News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Teach me about strikers

Started by Canadian gobbler, March 12, 2018, 02:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian gobbler

Hello everyone , my first post
I want to know about strikers ,  I understand that each can make the sound a little differant ,
What's the story behind the hardness ,  I see posted about the striker , is the number that is higher , say 1200 hardness better , or just last longer

What is better ,  1 piece or 2
Why Is a snakewood striker priced at like $70 , is it cause the wood is rare and looks nice , or is it a great striker for sound

I have 3 strikers for 2 pots , I have a zink wicked in slate , and a David H  metal mouth11 coming and it surposed to have 2 strikers  when it shows up

Should I pick up a couple extra and are the custom strikers I see on some websites worth the extra money

If so , give me a few names of some of the best ,

Sorry about so many question
Thanks

Daddy rat

Higher the number harder wood, good 2pc strikers are just as good 1pc, boils down to personal preference, snakewood is expensive striker blank run $25 to $40 bucks  before you even turn it and it one of the hardest woods  I would get good dymondwood and purpleheart   Lot of good call makers building strikers   

southern_leo

Lots of good strikers but out of all the fancy woods I still like a good ol heavy top hickory the best. I own alot of strikers and honestly on a good pot most strikers will sound very very similar. I generally go for feel and balance first then sound second. If it has the weight I like up top it almost plays itself. Hickory and dymondwood are very versatile. You probably have a two piece dymondwood coming with your mm2.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: southern_leo on March 14, 2018, 03:46:46 AM
Lots of good strikers but out of all the fancy woods I still like a good ol heavy top hickory the best. I own alot of strikers and honestly on a good pot most strikers will sound very very similar. I generally go for feel and balance first then sound second. If it has the weight I like up top it almost plays itself. Hickory and dymondwood are very versatile. You probably have a two piece dymondwood coming with your mm2.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Agreed.

West Augusta

The higher the Janka number, the harder the wood and usually the better the striker for normal calling.  I like woods over 1700.  But don't sell soft wood strikers short.  They are great for early morning work.   Butternut, Sycamore, Cherry etc   
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.