OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dad got it done today!!!!

Started by eorlando, March 10, 2018, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eorlando

Well dad got it done this morning on his second ever turkey hunt. It all started Thursday morning. We were headed to the same spot I hunted opening morning. I had hopes that we would see the three remaining gobblers from the group I took pictures of and shot the bird out of Saturday. We got all tucked into our spot a little over an hour before legal time. We sat patiently waiting for the first gobble to echo through the woods we were hunting. My father who has only ever hunted a couple times (never Turkey hunted) had never heard a wild turkey gobble. He had no clue what he was in for. About 10 minutes until legal time I owl hooted and he gobbled mid hoot. I looked at my dad but he didn't hear it. About five minutes later he gobbled on his own and my dad looked at me with big eyes. He was roosted about 60 yards from us. He proceeded to gobble another 15 times or so on the roost. I let out a couple of soft yelps on the Buice trumpet and he immediately cut me off. Game on. It was about time for him to fly down and I told my dad to get ready as he was going to be heading out way soon. My dad was in the ready position when I saw the first hen come out from our left. The same path the 4 gobblers took on opening day. Right behind her was the big gobbler all puffed up and drumming. My heart was racing as he was closing in on the opening to shoot. Standing only 10 yards away he stopped and stood there in full strut. The hen now in front of us turned back around and took the gobbler the opposite direction killing the chance at a shot. He was only 15 yards away but the vegitation was so thick I couldn't see him anymore. I heard his wings flapping around and some rustling as he bred the hen.. then nothing. We sat there for 20 minutes or so and I told my dad that they must have went out to the dried up pond directly behind us. I told him I was going check it out so I sliped out to the edge of the pond and there he was 80 yards out all puffed up. Another 50 yards behind him 2 more strutters. The same group from opening day minus the one I killed. I snuck out and got my dad and we eased to the edge of the pond. They were all in their same spots strutting and looking for love. I let out a couple of soft yelps and the closest one started his way to us. I told dad to get ready. I pulled out the range finder.... 75 yards and closing in... 65 yards... I let out another soft yelp and all three hammer back. Now he is at 55 yards. He periscopes looking for the hen. I tell my dad hold on he will get closer. All of a sudden a cow and calf decide they want to see what is going on. They walk right in between the gobbler and us. The gobbler turns and walks away 15 yards and stops. Out of range now. That's when all hell brakes loose and the rest of cows decide to run across the dried up pond to join the other 2. Needless to say the turkeys got out of dodge and we never saw them again that day.

Fast forward to today. We had a new game plan and set up 20 yards from our spot Thursday morning with hopes of seeing the 3 strutters again. The woods were beginning to come to life and anticipation of the first gobble of the morning was running high. We were getting close to legal time and still void of a gobble. Were they still roosting here? Then we heard one. He fired off 150 yards to our east. As it began to get lighter out he became more fired up. I told dad that we needed to make a move to the pond as that's where I thought he would make his way to so we slipped out to the edge and found the perfect spot. I snuck out into the pond and set up the DSD Jake and hen decoys and slinked back to my spot. I hit the Buice and he fired back. Waited 15 min or so and hit it again. He fired back again closer this time. 10 min later out of nowhere I see a gobbler full sprint across the pond running our direction. He gets to 100 yards and stops. I let out a couple soft yelps and then I hear the dreaded hen to my left. He is puffed up out in the field now and sees the hen coming to him. Before she can even make it to him he is breeding the air as if she is under him. I guess he couldn't wait. She joins him and they feed around out there for 20 minutes or so. At this point I have that feeling like she is going to drag him away never to be seen again. She startes clucking and yelping so I give it right back to her. She is getting pissed at this point and he is starting to look more interested in coming to us. He starts out way and I tell dad to get in position. Right about that time I see another gobbler running in from the left with 2 more right behind him. The three amigos decided to show up after all. They spot the decoys and start heading our way. They are at 70 yards and acting leary. The biggest of the bunch gets to 55 yards and stops looks at the decoys and then turns to walk away. Back turned to us he sticks his head up high giving one last look in our direction. Having flashbacks of Friday I tell dad to put the red dot on his head and pull the trigger. BOOM!!! He piles up. I jumped up let out a big hoot then it was high fives and hugs. I was proud of him. It was a day I won't soon forget. I hope to have many more like this. He is already looking forward to the next hunt.

The Remington 20ga and federal hw 7 is some bad medicine. Complete jelly head and an incredible amount of damage done. I am loving this gun. The sap wood Amboyna Burl Billy Buice call did I fine job as well. Another bird falls victim to a Buice. Time to break out another one next weekend. Thanks to Norm (Fullchoke) for the turkey tote. I don't know how I did it without one before.

2018-03-10_03-20-03 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2018-03-10_03-20-23 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2018-03-10_03-19-49 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2018-03-10_03-19-30 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2018-03-10_03-19-12 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

20180310_081309 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

2018-03-10_03-15-17 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

20180310_083246 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

20180310_112310 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

penna shooter

Congrats...Great pixs and a nice bird.....Well done.  Im digging the old style BDU's, thats exactly what I use for my turkey and deer hunting...never to old school.
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

bbcoach

CONGRATS to you and your Dad!!!!  Love those Osceola's but I believe they are the Wariest bird to kill.

BD

guesswho

Very nice. Congrats to your Dad, good job!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

zelmo1

Awesome bird and story, congrats bro  :funnyturkey:

trkehunr93

Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Meadow Valley Man

Congrats to you and your dad!  Very nice photos.

troutfisher13111

Awesome, congrats!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Great story and pics to go with it..Congrats ..You made memories that will last you both a lifetime.. Eric..If your tired of that Buice now feel free to contact me... :z-flirtysmile3: Lol..

Greg Massey

Nice bird congrats..proud of you and dad...

gergg

Awesome hunt, congrats....having grown up down there and spent 20+ springs in that terrain, it brings back fond memories. Love seeing and hearing about your trips, keep them coming!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

DawgsFan1

Congrats! Great pics to go along with those great memories.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.