Main Menu

Advice for beginning trumpet players

Started by Terry, March 10, 2018, 11:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Thanks for the compliments. It's been a lot of practice and dedication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brillo

I thought your first sound file was very good but the second was amazing.  Did you use your trumpet hunting last year?  How did it go? 

Terry

I have been hunting with one since 2016 I think. The turkeys have liked Both styles of playing equally well from what I can tell.

Chris O

Sounding awesome Terry. That sounds like a real turkey and not a guy playing a trumpet very nicely done!!!

RLAG

Quote from: Terry on March 12, 2022, 09:47:55 AM
I have been hunting with one since 2016 I think. The turkeys have liked Both styles of playing equally well from what I can tell.

That's super interesting. To the human ear, we all think you sound more realistic now but you don't think the birds care one way or the other. Who's trumpet were you using in the video from the other day?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Great observation.  I think that is spot on.  Cadence and length of note trump clear versus rasp as far as I have been able to tell.  Some of my early experiences with trumpets I thought the turkeys were giving me way more credit than I deserved. 

EZ

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 12, 2022, 07:48:58 PM

Great observation.  I think that is spot on.  Cadence and length of note trump clear versus rasp as far as I have been able to tell.  Some of my early experiences with trumpets I thought the turkeys were giving me way more credit than I deserved.

I concur 100%.

justin.arps

Thanks for this thread, I've only owned one trumpet thus far second is on its way. I find it very peaceful to set out on the porch and just talk turkey. It is definitely like learning to play A instrument. That's what drew me to the trumpet.

crow

Very nice

nice air control and rasp coming thru

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

Quote from: Terry on March 11, 2022, 01:14:16 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/qJEBeP1dwIs?feature=share

Wow, that sounds awesome. You sure there ain't no hens there...lol. Great job Terry. I got a long way to go....
"Solo hunter"

Treerooster

I'll throw in one piece of advice that everyone may not think about, al least at first.

Make your lanyard so it just fits over your head. This sets the trumpet/wingbone high up on your chest. You can then operate it with 1 hand while holding the gun up the other with very little movement. Not always necessary, but can come in handy at times. I can run a mouth diaphragm good enough but still like my trumpet more for the soft & in-close stuff.

mspaci

Ive got Mero & Gwaltny trumpets that were not expensive & are just as good as any. Mike

2flyfish4

Chap stick is not your friend, even though I hate dry lips, I seem to sound alot better and more consistent with dry lips.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Terry on March 11, 2022, 01:14:16 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/qJEBeP1dwIs?feature=share

That is big boy calling right there. I like that clip in a whole bunch of ways. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm killing birds with both the wingbone and the trumpet, but I still sound a lot more like your clips from back in 2018. This may be a really stupid question, but if you don't mind me asking - what was the one or maybe a couple of things that made it click to where you are getting the sound now versus what it was on your older clips? Just world of difference in your current sound. You to me sound pretty much like pure turkey in this latest clip.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13