OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stencil vs. DIY hydro dip

Started by Tidewater Tom, March 08, 2018, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidewater Tom

Hi there.   I have a  Mossberg 835 that I think I posted on before.  I'm trying to decide between stenciling or DIY hydro dip.  To me the hydro-dip is easier and "can" look cooler.  Is the hydro-dip a little easier?
Educated beyond my intelligence...

dirt road ninja

I'm a rattle can guy, would rather have one that no one else has. From what I've seen hydro dipping can get fairly involved, that said - never tried it.

Tidewater Tom

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 08, 2018, 04:33:10 PM
I'm a rattle can guy, would rather have one that no one else has. From what I've seen hydro dipping can get fairly involved, that said - never tried it.
I was just gonna spray some different colors on a tub of water, swirl them around and dip away.

petemoss83

That's exactly what i did to my rem 20 ga a few weeks back. I swirled the paint until i got the pattern i liked and like u said i dipped away. I dipped my barrel,  pump,  and stock with receiver attached all separate. And it actually turned out pretty good.  Just after dipping i rinsed with the water hose then took them inside to dry.  After drying for a day i sprayed a matte clear coat. I did sand the wood stock and cleaned all the oil off the metal before i dipped the parts.  Its relatively easy. Like you said just spray the water, swirl the paint,  and dip. Just go slow and don't stop once you start lowering into the water. Here's mine...

Spurs

Just got through with my Rattle Can method.  I prefer this because you can be a little more "custom" in your approach.  The DIY hydo dip is good, but less "personal" IMO.
This year is going to suck!!!

Tidewater Tom

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 04:46:32 PM
Just got through with my Rattle Can method.  I prefer this because you can be a little more "custom" in your approach.  The DIY hydo dip is good, but less "personal" IMO.

Nice!

Tidewater Tom

Quote from: petemoss83 on March 09, 2018, 08:07:11 PM
That's exactly what i did to my rem 20 ga a few weeks back. I swirled the paint until i got the pattern i liked and like u said i dipped away. I dipped my barrel,  pump,  and stock with receiver attached all separate. And it actually turned out pretty good.  Just after dipping i rinsed with the water hose then took them inside to dry.  After drying for a day i sprayed a matte clear coat. I did sand the wood stock and cleaned all the oil off the metal before i dipped the parts.  Its relatively easy. Like you said just spray the water, swirl the paint,  and dip. Just go slow and don't stop once you start lowering into the water. Here's mine...
I like the look of that.  Looks like you dipped the scope too.  How'd you seal it?

petemoss83

I agree that you could get a little more custom look with the rattle can method. You can make the pattern exactly what want it to be. I do have a rifle that i painted using the layering method.  Spray base, add tape, spray another coat of different color,  add more tape...ect... and the rifle turned out good as well.  To answer your question about sealing the scope,  i didn't.  I left the Bushnell trs-25 attached to the rail when i dipped the receiver and stock. I did use painters tape to cover the lenses as well as the numbers on the turn dial. I also taped off the inside of the receiver. I wanted to try this method to see if I'd like the pattern and i will more than likely use this method again.  If you prep your gun right these paint jobs turn out to be pretty durable.  The dipping method is faster (and easier) but it's also easy to mess up in the process. But hey if you mess up its just paint. Let it dry,  sand it,  and paint again.