OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS SHORTAGE

Started by BottomLand54, March 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I have zero knowledge on the TSS shot. I found a great load/choke for my gun and I will stick with it. I shoot a few times before the season and it is really consistent. If I put "wood to wood" then my set up is good for my self imposed yardage. I did see some 12 ga  TSS at Cabelas, $35/5 after the rebate. It seems like a waste to me when I pay $18 for 10 longbeards that shoot well for me. I also shoot Federal heavyweights in my 20 ga, same results. I may try the 20 ga TSS if I can find them. We shall see.

zelmo1

I carry a range finder now, 40 yards is my max also. The goal is to get them closer. My weakness is my calling, That is what I work on the most, LOL

BB30

I dont personally shoot TSS but I am having a hard time figuring out why people feel the need to bash others who do. If they are hunting within the laws of their state and have patterned their gun then I don't see what the problem is.

Sounds like those of you knocking TSS users just need something to complain about. I hope those of you complaining are walking around in a loin cloth with a long bow and only use a wing bone otherwise you are no different than the person using TSS. You  wear camo, shoot shotguns, and use more modern calls because it increases your chance of success and cuts down on the chance of crippling a bird. I would be willing to bet that most of yall have misjudged distance a time or two and have missed a bird before.

Hunters are the best at knocking other fellow hunters and that is pretty sad.

Spitten and drummen

I love Turkey hunting and everything turkey hunting related. I play with my calls all year long and always tinker with things. One of the reasons I love TSS is that I can load a awesome shell myself. There are several recipes that you can constantly try to give you the results you are looking for. I ABSOLUTELY do not shoot TSS to extend my range. I shoot it because its fun loading a shell and killing a bird with a shell you loaded for yourself. It is also satisfying when you put 300 plus in a 10 at 40 with a 20 ga and you feel good because you loaded it yourself. I shoot a more open choke to get a better hunting patteren. Also I am building a trap to collect the shot to reload. Its not all about the kill to me , Its about shooting the best shell that I can shoot to be the most effective that I can be. Just like everything in life , you have those that abuse things. I have been shooting this stuff for the last 5 years through a 20 ga and I can say that I love seeing a tom drop like a rock with no flopping. I smile and shake my head everytime. Im not saying the no flopping happens everytime but it does occur more often than not. Most everyone here are Turkey hunters and enjoy the sport. Shoot and hunt the way you like inside the law. We are only passing through and this ride will be over before you know it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

deerpoo22

I find when it comes to ethics alotta people will say 40 is their max(both on this forum and with personal friends of mine) but when it comes game time and the gobbler hangs up 56 yards away, all their talk of ethics and what's right get thrown right out the window and they take the shot regardless. Same thing in archery hunting where somebody will consistently tell everyone 30 is the longest he feels comfortable with then low and behold a big 9 pointer stops in an opening 60 yards away and flings an arrow downrange because it was what they felt was an now or never shot. I personally am using nitro tss because I am not the best range estimator and if I misjudge by a few yards or so I'm confident it will lead to less turkeys wounded down the road.

Greg Massey

Hey guys , turkey season is almost here for a lot of us ... lot of good post about using Tss...

Spitten and drummen

My season starts Thursday. I am taking a week vacation and another 10 days first of April. Good luck everyone
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 12, 2018, 10:43:17 AM
My season starts Thursday. I am taking a week vacation and another 10 days first of April. Good luck everyone
Good luck and have a great season.....

BottomLand54

I normally don't pull the trigger until after I've called em in to 5 yards and then I let em walk out to about 75 yards before I shout I believe in fair opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Quote from: BottomLand54 on March 12, 2018, 08:30:28 AM
I'm on the list to get the new benelli SDE 1

It's coming out next year benelli super distance eagle 10 gauge

Shoots the new shells hornady and ficocchi are designing 10 guage 4 inch shells and will hold 4 of them.

Msrp starts at 2799.99

Ammo may be hard to come by at first but can't wait until apex makes a 4" 3oz load of number 10's I defiantly should have a gun that will have some overkill at 40 yards.

An old rotator cuff injury started to hurt just reading this

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BottomLand54

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 12, 2018, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: BottomLand54 on March 12, 2018, 08:30:28 AM
I'm on the list to get the new benelli SDE 1

It's coming out next year benelli super distance eagle 10 gauge

Shoots the new shells hornady and ficocchi are designing 10 guage 4 inch shells and will hold 4 of them.

Msrp starts at 2799.99

Ammo may be hard to come by at first but can't wait until apex makes a 4" 3oz load of number 10's I defiantly should have a gun that will have some overkill at 40 yards.

An old rotator cuff injury started to hurt just reading this

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Lol a 3" out of a 12 guage benelli sbeii makes mine hurt lol.

g8rvet

Ol Timer, I got my 20 because I had some neck issues, pinched nerve and was pretty sensitive to recoil.  So I decided to go the 20 right.  I am fine now, can handle the 12 with no problems, but I bought plenty of shells (well ahead of time) and will be good to go for at least 10 years.  Love toting the little 20.  Probably the only 12 I will use this year will be the muzzleloader. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Phire Phite

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 12, 2018, 10:29:39 AM
Hey guys , turkey season is almost here for a lot of us ... lot of good post about using Tss...

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 12, 2018, 10:43:17 AM

Got another 50 days.................................. :'(

Spurs

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 12, 2018, 08:26:57 AM
Your point is well taken in this thread, sadly however I think you give too much credit to the average hunter.  I hope you didn't see my comment as an attack on your hunting ethics; it was more a running commentary on concerns regarding the potential for abuse.  I most certainly do not have that concern with you and with most folks who are on this forum.

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2018, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 11, 2018, 04:41:25 PM
Overkill to me is knowing the maximum range of my gun and making sure my shots are under those limits. 

We all like to bring out the best we can afford, but being a responsible and ethical hunter is what "overkill" is there for...the potential for abuse is obvious with this trend. 

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
One thing that many people seem to put into these arguments is "does it kill them any deader?".  This question seems kinda condescending.  I, for one, decide to go to the field with the best that I can afford in my gun.  For some, that is Winchester #5 lead, for others it is an SP-10 with 3.5" of tss.  This whole argument of "overkill" seems pretty ridiculous.  I will take every precaution necessary to ensure I dang near rip ones head off, but unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time.  That is what the "overkill" is there for.

Potential for abuse equals taking a shot at the range your load is barely capable of,don't care what it is.
Why would you only use a load which barely could get the job done at 40 yards away and then shoot to that distance .

He stated "under those limits".  Which is another way of doing it.

I see both sides of these arguments, but I want to make sure I have exess power beyond 40 yards in case I cripple a bird.  Several years ago when Hevi-13 #7 first came out, I crippled a bird at 30 yards when I dropped slightly while I was pulling the trigger.  Then I rushed another two shots.  I took a split second and drew a hard bead, killing him at somewhere between 50-60 yards.  I am in no way boasting here...I literally wish I didn't have a story like this...It took all the joy out of what could have been a great turkey hunt.

This is why I shoot with capabilities beyond my personal 40 yard max.  It is the responsibility of all hunters to know their capability and act accordingly.  But having a gun capable of killing a bird beyond that does not necesserily mean it is being utilized as such...this is a common error that many assume to be true.  I would be willing to bet the vast majority of all turkey hunters strive to harvest their bird within 40 yards.

This has been a great debate...no personal attacks and no name calling...just wish gun bashing libtards would understand what a grown up argument looks like. :character0029:

I understand what you say about other hunters ethics as a general concensus, but I see things on the other side of the game.  I live in SE AR and duck hunting here on public ground is (I am assuming here) probably the worst type of close quarter public hunting in the USA.  Overcrowding, over restriction, and just plain punks, have taken over the world down here.  Even in that arena, I believe that good/honest duck hunters still make up +50%.  Yes, everyone has their day, but for the majority, they are well meaning individuals who just wanna bust some heads and go to the house for the hero shots.

We have to start believing this in what is becoming an extinct culture that we do.  Believe that every man is just as good, until they prove you wrong.  The back and forth (not pointing at this debate) sometimes gets out of hand and people don't realize how we look to the skinny jeans clan that is always willing to pounce.
This year is going to suck!!!

BottomLand54

i like to hunt with my hat backwards and shoot . my 10 gauge with 4 inch number 11's tss and wear my skinny jeans and my tie dye t shirt that says Russia is the problem.