turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS SHORTAGE

Started by BottomLand54, March 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

I for one will not sweet over the new 20 ga. TSS craze I have 2 - 20 ga guns and will be sticking with my 12ga. It's killed over 50 birds with #5 shot at various yards, This is another marketing sales plan so you go buy a new gun then spend $40 a box for 5 shells, does crossbows come to mind here. Shoot them 12 ga. Guns and just go have fun hunting.

CrustyRusty

Your point is well taken in this thread, sadly however I think you give too much credit to the average hunter.  I hope you didn't see my comment as an attack on your hunting ethics; it was more a running commentary on concerns regarding the potential for abuse.  I most certainly do not have that concern with you and with most folks who are on this forum.

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2018, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 11, 2018, 04:41:25 PM
Overkill to me is knowing the maximum range of my gun and making sure my shots are under those limits. 

We all like to bring out the best we can afford, but being a responsible and ethical hunter is what "overkill" is there for...the potential for abuse is obvious with this trend. 

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
One thing that many people seem to put into these arguments is "does it kill them any deader?".  This question seems kinda condescending.  I, for one, decide to go to the field with the best that I can afford in my gun.  For some, that is Winchester #5 lead, for others it is an SP-10 with 3.5" of tss.  This whole argument of "overkill" seems pretty ridiculous.  I will take every precaution necessary to ensure I dang near rip ones head off, but unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time.  That is what the "overkill" is there for.

Potential for abuse equals taking a shot at the range your load is barely capable of,don't care what it is.
Why would you only use a load which barely could get the job done at 40 yards away and then shoot to that distance .

He stated "under those limits".  Which is another way of doing it.

I see both sides of these arguments, but I want to make sure I have exess power beyond 40 yards in case I cripple a bird.  Several years ago when Hevi-13 #7 first came out, I crippled a bird at 30 yards when I dropped slightly while I was pulling the trigger.  Then I rushed another two shots.  I took a split second and drew a hard bead, killing him at somewhere between 50-60 yards.  I am in no way boasting here...I literally wish I didn't have a story like this...It took all the joy out of what could have been a great turkey hunt.

This is why I shoot with capabilities beyond my personal 40 yard max.  It is the responsibility of all hunters to know their capability and act accordingly.  But having a gun capable of killing a bird beyond that does not necesserily mean it is being utilized as such...this is a common error that many assume to be true.  I would be willing to bet the vast majority of all turkey hunters strive to harvest their bird within 40 yards.

BottomLand54

I'm on the list to get the new benelli SDE 1

It's coming out next year benelli super distance eagle 10 gauge

Shoots the new shells hornady and ficocchi are designing 10 guage 4 inch shells and will hold 4 of them.

Msrp starts at 2799.99

Ammo may be hard to come by at first but can't wait until apex makes a 4" 3oz load of number 10's I defiantly should have a gun that will have some overkill at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I suppose this is really not the thread (someone tell me who came up with the idea to call a topic a "thread" anyway?.. ;D), to discuss the ethical considerations of TSS, but since the question has been raised...

The idea that shooting TSS will encourage folks to shoot longer ranges than they should is a valid one.  You can't get into someone's mind, but it would be interesting to know the percentage of hunters that will say to themselves,..."Hmmmm, I've got these TSS loads in my gun.  That gobbler is a little farther away than I would normally shoot,...but, hey, I am using TSS, so here goes..."

On the other hand, I (unfortunately) know some folks that shoot "granddads" 1958 model name-your-brand that has an improved cylinder that they have never patterned, buy a box of the cheapest ammo on the shelf (or worse yet, use "granddads" leftovers from 1958)...and go turkey hunting with the willingness to shoot at gobblers thirty yards away with a gun that couldn't kill a turkey at fifteen. 

As others have pointed out, it is all relative.  Fercryinoutloud, fellers, whatever you shoot, learn your limitations and have the self control to stay within them.  Granted, that is difficult sometimes, but crippled and lost gobblers should be unacceptable to all of us.   :icon_thumright:

...End of todays sermon...   ;D

Happy

Quote from: BottomLand54 on March 12, 2018, 08:30:28 AM

Shoots the new shells hornady and ficocchi are designing 10 guage 4 inch shells and will hold 4 of them.

Msrp starts at 2799.99

Ammo may be hard to come by at first but can't wait until apex makes a 4" 3oz load of number 10's I defiantly should have a gun that will have some overkill at 40 yards.

Please videotape when you touch one of those bad boys off.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

FL-Boss

4in 10ga? I hope that's a joke..but guessing it's true.  When does it end.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on March 12, 2018, 09:12:58 AM
Quote from: BottomLand54 on March 12, 2018, 08:30:28 AM

Msrp starts at 2799.99

Please videotape when you touch one of those bad boys off.
Happy I am afraid everyone will slam me for shooting tss out of my new Gun

Jealousy you know what I mean.

Happy

No jealousy here. I am just in it for the entertainment.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: I love this, lol. I truly believe that everyone tries to be an ethical hunter. Interpertations may vary but we all want the same thing, A CLEANLY KILLED TURKEY. So that being said, we all know what to do. Do your homework and make sure you can kill what you shoot at. Good luck and I hope everyone has a 22 yard shot!  :funnyturkey:

Greg Massey

I can't call , half see or judge distance , but i have my great granddaddy old shotgun loaded with Tss....it's almost turkey season thank god for a lot of us....hunt safe, do the right thing and have fun enjoying what the good lord created ..... and bottomland 54 i'm not jealous of your Tss, you pattern's weren't that good anyway...so i can see you going to a 10 gauge for more help in killing turkeys .....lmbo

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Ol timer on March 12, 2018, 08:13:15 AM
I for one will not sweet over the new 20 ga. TSS craze I have 2 - 20 ga guns and will be sticking with my 12ga. It's killed over 50 birds with #5 shot at various yards, This is another marketing sales plan so you go buy a new gun then spend $40 a box for 5 shells, does crossbows come to mind here. Shoot them 12 ga. Guns and just go have fun hunting.

hate to tell you this old timer , but TSS is not a marketing hype . It is everything that its advertised to be.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

What is your Max ethical kill distance Spitten and Drummin?

Greg Massey

I guess Max distance and ethical range could all depend on either 10 gauge , 12 gauge or 20 gauge guns with different barrel length's and loads of TSS...i sure some people load a better shell than what APEX or Federal are selling in factory loads...just opinion , and i know very little about Tss....lol

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 12, 2018, 09:41:01 AM
What is your Max ethical kill distance Spitten and Drummin?

40 yards.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"