TSS SHORTAGE

Started by BottomLand54, March 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

I see the attraction of lighter guns that can shoot great patterns out of a 20 gauge, I am getting older and beat up. My daughter shot her first turkey last year with a 20 using fed heavyweights. I had the barrel sent to Briley and the threaded it and put in a turkey choke in my old SKB 7300 oump. My dad bought it for me in 1981. I shot a buttload of rabbits, pheasant, ducks and even a few deer. But she got the first turkey with it. Special day. Thanks for the info, I may try the TSS if I can find any. Al Baker

g8rvet

Glad to see y'all came full circle and settled down.   

Now let's talk about decoys and blinds!    :funnyturkey: :toothy9: :turkey2:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tail Feathers

Maybe this TSS shortage will be history before I run out of Federal HW's.  And that may take a while.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BottomLand54

Quote from: g8rvet on March 09, 2018, 01:23:03 PM
Glad to see y'all came full circle and settled down.   

Now let's talk about decoys and blinds!    :funnyturkey: :toothy9: :turkey2:

Blinds? That's for guys who can't hunt

Decoys? That's for guys who can't call

Also tss for guys who can't call, shoot, or judge yardage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Well, my local Cabelas doesnt have any TSS in 20 ga, only 12. I guess their flyer is a little vague. BIIIIG SURPRISE

Spurs

One thing that many people seem to put into these arguments is "does it kill them any deader?".  This question seems kinda condescending.  I, for one, decide to go to the field with the best that I can afford in my gun.  For some, that is Winchester #5 lead, for others it is an SP-10 with 3.5" of tss.  This whole argument of "overkill" seems pretty ridiculous.  I will take every precaution necessary to ensure I dang near rip ones head off, but unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time.  That is what the "overkill" is there for.
This year is going to suck!!!

CrustyRusty

Overkill to me is knowing the maximum range of my gun and making sure my shots are under those limits. 

We all like to bring out the best we can afford, but being a responsible and ethical hunter is what "overkill" is there for...the potential for abuse is obvious with this trend. 

Quote from: Spurs on March 11, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
One thing that many people seem to put into these arguments is "does it kill them any deader?".  This question seems kinda condescending.  I, for one, decide to go to the field with the best that I can afford in my gun.  For some, that is Winchester #5 lead, for others it is an SP-10 with 3.5" of tss.  This whole argument of "overkill" seems pretty ridiculous.  I will take every precaution necessary to ensure I dang near rip ones head off, but unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time.  That is what the "overkill" is there for.

Spurs

Quote from: CrustyRusty on March 11, 2018, 04:41:25 PM
Overkill to me is knowing the maximum range of my gun and making sure my shots are under those limits. 

We all like to bring out the best we can afford, but being a responsible and ethical hunter is what "overkill" is there for...the potential for abuse is obvious with this trend. 

Everyone makes mistakes; misjudged distance, dense brush, pulled trigger, etc.  Even the most ethical hunter will make these mistakes.  I do see the potential for abuse, but getting the highest performance of your gun should be what everyone strives for.  Many people spend all their money on calls, vests, camo, etc.  But when it comes down to spending the dough on shells, they hit walmart for the $5.99 special.  I honestly believe that is what the majority of people do...TSS/Hevi shooters are the minority that is bashed for testing and perfecting the Ultimate Turkey Load. 

owlhoot

Potential for abuse equals taking a shot at the range your load is barely capable of,don't care what it is.
Why would you only use a load which barely could get the job done at 40 yards away and then shoot to that distance ??

Spurs

Quote from: owlhoot on March 11, 2018, 06:16:02 PM

Potential for abuse equals taking a shot at the range your load is barely capable of,don't care what it is.
Why would you only use a load which barely could get the job done at 40 yards away and then shoot to that distance .

He stated "under those limits".  Which is another way of doing it.

I see both sides of these arguments, but I want to make sure I have exess power beyond 40 yards in case I cripple a bird.  Several years ago when Hevi-13 #7 first came out, I crippled a bird at 30 yards when I dropped slightly while I was pulling the trigger.  Then I rushed another two shots.  I took a split second and drew a hard bead, killing him at somewhere between 50-60 yards.  I am in no way boasting here...I literally wish I didn't have a story like this...It took all the joy out of what could have been a great turkey hunt.

This is why I shoot with capabilities beyond my personal 40 yard max.  It is the responsibility of all hunters to know their capability and act accordingly.  But having a gun capable of killing a bird beyond that does not necesserily mean it is being utilized as such...this is a common error that many assume to be true.  I would be willing to bet the vast majority of all turkey hunters strive to harvest their bird within 40 yards.

owlhoot

Oops guess there should be a question mark after that sentence.
Why would you use a load that barely gets the job done at 40 yards and then shoot to that distance?
Agree with the so called overkill, would prefer to have a load that is more capable than at  what distance I would shoot at.

Happy

That settles it. I am breaking out the .270. Can't have too much overkill.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Quote from: Happy on March 11, 2018, 10:16:45 PM
That settles it. I am breaking out the .270. Can't have too much overkill.
Would think the 3.5" longbeard loads  would be overkill enough for most! On the cheap.

Swampchickin234

Overkill is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk