turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS SHORTAGE

Started by BottomLand54, March 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I agree. Wasn't trying to start an argument. Just stating my perspective for myself. I enjoy hunting on my terms and everyone else should hunt on theirs. Within the legal limits of the law of course. And by the way spitten I did not serve and don't want to take undue credit from those that have sacrificed much more than I. Hope everyone enjoys there turkey season.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

And by the way. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a big dummie head ! Ha! I couldn't resist. :)

BottomLand54

I'm wanting to load a 3.5 inch 10 gauge with 23/4oz of 9.5's anyone have a recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

LMAO...turkey season can't get here soon enough. You can feel the tension here.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

BottomLand54

Tss for a 12 gauge is a waste
Tss for a 20 gauge is awesome patterns, but still a bit overkill. I have Tss loads for both gauges of guns. Am I against tss no. Hey I like lead, it's still better then a recurve and a wooden arrow with a sharpened rock.

BottomLand54

And if it wasn't for lead I couldn't write with my pencil so thank God for lead.

saverx

Turkey hunting with a sharpened rock......Challenge Accepted!

Phire Phite

Quote from: BottomLand54 on March 08, 2018, 06:17:46 PM
I'm wanting to load a 3.5 inch 10 gauge with 23/4oz of 9.5's anyone have a recipe?

I'm not sure you'll get the pattern density your looking for.

quavers59

With interest- I have followed this post.  For myself- I buy just1 box of 10 shells that cover Spring and Fall. I got Will Chester Longbeard- 3" and #6s for later in Spring and I have plenty of older NICKEL plated shells. I have a few boxes of Hornady #5 Turkey and years ago- I bought a case of ACTIV - Penetrator. A good 25 boxes of 10 shells that was on sale . I still use these older shells.    I have never lost a Gobbler when shooting any Nickel Plated shells.  I was thinking on buying some of these TSS shells- but they are expensive. I probably don't have as much folding money as most here and for me-- the Nickel shells will do.

penna shooter

It's a addiction to buy the newest and BEST....One up thang.
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

chatterbox

I'm just mad Federal discontinued the Heviweight.
Such an awesome shell, and was priced reasonably.

Happy

Quote from: penna shooter on March 09, 2018, 03:28:45 AM
It's a addiction to buy the newest and BEST....One up thang.
See that's something I never got into. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I just like taking care of business with the basic tools for the most part. I never wanted a Benelli shotgun or $200.00 pot calls. I have never been a collector of anything. I guess I just am not geared that way. Don't get me wrong I don't live a spartan life but I don't see the need to get wild with it. To each their own though.

zelmo1

I never tried TSS shot, will it really kill a turkey "deader" at 35 yards? I am always looking for a better way to kill turkeys. My experience is that if you do your job and get them inside 40 yards, then any good ammo/choke combo will do the job. I am not a hypocrite, I tried several choke/load combos before choosing one. Just looking for some info. Thanks, Al Baker

quavers59

Being a die hard pheasant hunter and using up older game ammo is 2nd nature to me. So, I often do the same thing in Spring and Fall for the Turkeys. Like most here--good I have enough Turkey ammo for a small army.  Found out a long time ago that NICKEL plated hits harder then Copper plated-- I bought the HORNADY heavy magnums #5 Turkey last year. Awesome Nickel turkey loads.  In my early Turkey hunting Years- I took some long shots of over 50 yards and lost some cripples.  For me, I want to just call the big Birds up to within  under 40 yards and the HORNADY shells will do the rest.

BottomLand54

I do think folks have misunderstood the concept with tss. See this same thing occurred when hevi shot and the federal heavyweights came out, at that time you just didn't have as many folks on social media! See it's not about killing a turkey any deader so that is actually a very inadequate jester, the entire concept of tss is so that folks who want to shoot smaller guage guns like 20, 28, and .410 can carry a light gun with a lighter recoil and not have the disadvantage to kill a bird cleanly out to 35-40 yards, some folks enjoy taking kids or ladies hunting and therefore don't want them shooting a 12 gauge with a turkey load. Tss in a 12 gauge is over kill and really is very unnecessary in my opinion. Also another thing that I have got so tired of hearing is soon as someone mentions tss someone says "ow yeah your wanting to kill birds over 40 yards" "oh yeah your going to shoot one at 80 yards." It is foolish to assume what someone else is going to do.

I personally thing the tss is excellent out of a 20 gauge and I like the dense pattern it throws at 40 yards, does it mean it will kill a turkey any deader then lead? Does it mean I am going to shoot at 60 yards? NO

Folks years ago would never ever thought about turkey hunting with a 20 gauge, now since this tss more folks are going to a .410 then ever before.

I can kill turkeys with lead, and I think the federal heavyweight 7's is a phenomenal load. But it me or you or anyone else wants to shoot tss, heavyweight, or lead that is fine. Hunt legal, hunt ethical, be a sportsman, respect the land, respect the landowner, hunt safe, and I hope this year you all have a very successful turkey hunting season.

Now back to the original point of the post wander if their is going to be a continual shortage of TSS?